Universal Audio OX Stomp

laxu

Rock Star

UA has released the cab sim from the OX as a pedal, as rumored.

Unsurprisingly, there's no remote control features beyond BT app crap.

The price is an insane $399 at Sweetwater.
In Europe, 439 euros with 24% Finnish VAT.

Beyond mic and speaker cabinet modeling, OX Stomp also lets you craft stunning guitar sounds with UA effects like genuine 1176 compression, plate reverb, chorus, flange, three delay types, and four-band EQ with high and low-cut filters.

Then not having more than a single preset to effectively use all these is pretty weak shit. Seems you can configure the footswitches for A/B on one and "one effect on/off" on the other.

Last edited:
It's just way too limited for the money. I like that the cab selection is not "hey here's 10 4x12 V30 cabs for you", like that it comes with built in fx but not being able to effectively utilize them makes it a big nope for me.

I don't get why UA does this. There's some sort of aura of "we know better than you", except they just..don't.

STATIC SOUNDING IR’s

would love someone to chain up all the UA pedals. run it into some UA interface and have some plugins on top for good measure, and see what latency you can get.

would love someone to chain up all the UA pedals. run it into some UA interface and have some plugins on top for good measure, and see what latency you can get.
If we assume that all UA reverb/delay pedals are analog dry-through, you'd have about ~12ms (~3ms per pedal with no analog dry through) from the pedals alone with the following pedals:

1176/Max -> Astra -> Dream/Ruby/Woodrow -> OX Stomp -> Starlight/Orion -> Golden Reverberator/Del-Verb/Heavenly/Evermore

Assumption here is that you want more out of the cab sims than what the amp sim pedals offer. Otherwise you would be at 9ms. Ditch the Astra and/or Max and you are at more reasonable 3-6ms range.

For comparison, this is what the closest equivalent Strymon pedal setup would be (~1ms per pedal), for a whopping ~2ms total:

Compadre (analog so no latency) -> Mobius/Zelzah/Deco -> Iridium -> Timeline/Volante/El Capistan/Brig/Dig -> Big Sky/Nightsky/Blue Sky/Flint.

The killer feature of the full-size OX and also this thing is the room sim which is amazing for playing with headphones.

Is it worth 400+ EUR? Probably not...

If we assume that all UA reverb/delay pedals are analog dry-through, you'd have about ~12ms (~3ms per pedal with no analog dry through) from the pedals alone with the following pedals:

1176/Max -> Astra -> Dream/Ruby/Woodrow -> OX Stomp -> Starlight/Orion -> Golden Reverberator/Del-Verb/Heavenly/Evermore

Assumption here is that you want more out of the cab sims than what the amp sim pedals offer. Otherwise you would be at 9ms. Ditch the Astra and/or Max and you are at more reasonable 3-6ms range.

For comparison, this is what the closest equivalent Strymon pedal setup would be (~1ms per pedal), for a whopping ~2ms total:

Compadre (analog so no latency) -> Mobius/Zelzah/Deco -> Iridium -> Timeline/Volante/El Capistan/Brig/Dig -> Big Sky/Nightsky/Blue Sky/Flint.
Yeeep. I think a lot of the time latency should be thought of as how close you already are to it being noticeable, rather than at 0. Often people are combining this gear with other digital gear or converters, and while in isolation the latency may be “almost zero” and the extra odd ms here and there could be what tips it over the edge as far as affecting feel.

Yeeep. I think a lot of the time latency should be thought of as how close you already are to it being noticeable, rather than at 0. Often people are combining this gear with other digital gear or converters, and while in isolation the latency may be “almost zero” and the extra odd ms here and there could be what tips it over the edge as far as affecting feel.
Well said.

For example, if I add my Boss wireless (2.4ms) to my Axe-Fx 3, it's no big deal because the Fractal latency is low. But if I add it to my audio interface where the roundtrip latency is higher, playing through VST plugins, I can notice it if I am playing something faster - messes up with my timing compared to using a cable.

Interesting but I’d much rather have a plugin version that wasn’t locked down to uad cards
Agree. I don't think the physical controls on this are that great. I do like that you can adjust the mic levels but generally the control is pretty barebones compared to using what the app offers. Plugin would make much more sense, I'd probably buy that.

Ugh. It's the same shoehorned functions into an unsuitable static form factor for what, the 10th time in a row?

Agree that without more presets, this is pretty useless. UA are irritating AF!

I still own and use the Golden though; that's the only one that makes a little more sense than the others (as long as you don't want more than 1 favourite). Regardless, I won't be buying any more from them.

I still own and use the Golden though; that's the only one that makes a little more sense than the others (as long as you don't want more than 1 favourite). Regardless, I won't be buying any more from them.
Seems you can set it to do 4 presets. There's an option for the footswitch functions where it says A/B + C/D. The others are A/B + effect on/off or A/B + all effects on/off.

They designed the hardware around the Golden where bypass + preset works well enough for most people. UA then ran straight into a lot of problems trying to use the same platform for other effects.

On the surface they are no different from Strymon in this sense: Strymon's dual footswitch pedals are either "bypass + favorite", or "bypass effect A + bypass effect B" where you miss out on something in either case. But Strymon was smart enough that you can plug in an extra footswitch, 3 button footswitch or MIDI controller to augment those capabilities so it's not a problem.

They must hold the record for most consecutive pedals released where each successive pedal is less desirable than the last.

Singer: “You guys ready to rock…”

Daryl The Guitarist: “Hold on, my phone isn’t pairing to my pedal to make a change”

Daryl The Guitarist: “Hold on, my phone isn’t pairing to my pedal to make a change”

You're not wrong! That config route still controls the most important system switch for the Golden for me: buffered / unbuffered bypass & trails. :facepalm

Finally. The things I liked about the Ox minus the mediocre attenuator. I have my gripes with how UA does things big time but a lot of their stuff sounds really good and I like the idea I can use those cab sims because I got good results when I had an Ox. I just never liked the attenuator at all. It’ll be cool to use my Fryette or Suhr load and run the cabs with the pedal so I’ll probably give it shot.

Last edited:
Some cab emulation discussion in this video and use it on an Eleven Rack in part in the demo. Cue marketing hype comments in 3…. 2….

Last edited:
Looks like you can toggle A, B, C, and D "rigs" with the footswitches. Can't imagine needing more than 4 presets on such a box, so that's not half bad I guess.

Looks like you can toggle A, B, C, and D "rigs" with the footswitches. Can't imagine needing more than 4 presets on such a box, so that's not half bad I guess.

Well that certainly looks less bad.

It seems that there's 6 "rig" presets on that middle knob, but A & B footswitches are per rig, though?

Well that certainly looks less bad.

It seems that there's 6 "rig" presets on that middle knob, but A & B footswitches are per rig, though?
I skimmed through the app manual quickly, the switches can be set up in all kinds of ways like toggle reverb, delay on/off etc. And also A and B on left switch, C and D on right.

1695763868833.png

1695763878241.png

1695763922711.png

Back