Universal Audio OX Stomp

I'll be honest, I've been thinking about this pedal a lot the last week or so.

My absolute least favorite part of amp modelers is the cab section. I probably spend the majority of my time screwing around with different cabs and impulses and settings, trying to get the right balance between something that cuts vs something that isn't harsh. Especially when it comes to headphones.

As much as I'd hate to have another piece of hardware (running software) in the mix, it seems like it could really simplify things.
Or it might complicate things because you have very few onboard controls and if you want to adjust anything, you need to take out your phone and use the app, hoping it connects etc.

I suppose it could work if you manage to configure some rigs that are exactly what you want.

OX into IRX 😬
I tried that when I had the IRX and it didn’t pair well for some reason. Both the loop send and direct out minus with IR off didn’t sound right (kinda thin is the best way to describe) vs amp loaded with line out of my Fryette load box into the UA. Not sure why. In theory it should work.

The IRX went back and the OX Pedal stayed. It’s the only UA pedal that has interested from them. The Lion looks interesting too though

I tried that when I had the IRX and it didn’t pair well for some reason. Both the loop send and direct out minus with IR off didn’t sound right (kinda thin is the best way to describe) vs amp loaded with line out of my Fryette load box into the UA. Not sure why. In theory it should work.

The IRX went back and the OX Pedal stayed. It’s the only UA pedal that has interested from them. The Lion looks interesting too though
Yeah I was between the IRX vs the Lion. The IRX just looks more complete to me. Both sound good tho!

I am just eternally grateful that UA dropped the ball on MIDI control and presets with their stomp products, because this was enough to keep me from buying a bunch of gear that I really didn’t need anyway.
I’d love to know how many sales they’ve lost due to these omissions.

GAS calmed down since I plugged the IRX back in.

There's something in the Axe FX 3 that has been rubbing me the wrong way for a while now and I can't sort it out.

Dunno. I didn't get a Golden Reverberator again and returned the Starlight because it wasn't as good as Strymon stuff; never mind the lack of MIDI. I don't get the love of UA stuff. Just because they charge a ton, doesn't mean it's the best.
depends on what you like. On the Starlight it's important to keep the signal levels into the pedal down, otherwise you're overloading those preamps (especially on tape and the memory man model). And I don't remember to have had a sound like that analog delay in the timeline, not even close. If you're addicted to that sound, the Starlight is hard to beat. If you're looking for more digital, 2290ish delays, then it's not that great indeed.

GAS calmed down since I plugged the IRX back in.

There's something in the Axe FX 3 that has been rubbing me the wrong way for a while now and I can't sort it out.
Yeah don’t know since I don’t have your ears and know what you’re hearing in the Fractal. I had things I didn’t like about it. But the Fractal stuff sounds good for sure but it’s not for everyone.

Yeah don’t know since I don’t have your ears and know what you’re hearing in the Fractal. I had things I didn’t like about it. But the Fractal stuff sounds good for sure but it’s not for everyone.

There's a bit of a hi-fi quality, like there's a slight mid scoop with a little too much high end. If you tame the highs, it dulls the sound too much. Something's just off for me with it.

Same impulse response on the Friedman IR-X is sounding excellent. Profiling that combo into the Kemper sounds really good. Back to the Fractal with that impulse it's a tweak fest again.

What I really ought to do is sell all my gear and live with a crappy solid state amp for a few months. I'll be begging for any of those units back!

Meanwhile my experience is that I was able to make the Axe-Fx 3 sound and feel pretty damn near identical to the tube amps I had when played through the closest equivalent system (Fryette PS-100 -> real 4x10 or 1x12 cab or cab sims -> studio monitors). Sold the tube amps. And those weren't even something directly modeled in the Fractal!

My BluGuitar, which I've verified sounded just as good as the all tube Bogner I had, in turn is dialed pretty much identical to the Plexi sound I have on my Fractal because I've got a one track mind.

Maybe I can't hear what you can, there's no way to say. I've been getting tones that work for me out of so many things over the past few years.

depends on what you like. On the Starlight it's important to keep the signal levels into the pedal down, otherwise you're overloading those preamps (especially on tape and the memory man model). And I don't remember to have had a sound like that analog delay in the timeline, not even close. If you're addicted to that sound, the Starlight is hard to beat. If you're looking for more digital, 2290ish delays, then it's not that great indeed.
I don't have a Timeline. I've got a Brig, a DIG v2, and an El Cap v2. And an FM9. The UA stuff, IMHO, can't touch any of it.

There's a bit of a hi-fi quality, like there's a slight mid scoop with a little too much high end. If you tame the highs, it dulls the sound too much. Something's just off for me with it.

Same impulse response on the Friedman IR-X is sounding excellent. Profiling that combo into the Kemper sounds really good. Back to the Fractal with that impulse it's a tweak fest again.

What I really ought to do is sell all my gear and live with a crappy solid state amp for a few months. I'll be begging for any of those units back!
That is how I've been feeling about the fractal in that it is hi-fi sounding.
When I've tried in the past to replicate captures (tonex etc) I have to really tweak.
The IRX I don't have to do a lot

That is how I've been feeling about the fractal in that it is hi-fi sounding.
When I've tried in the past to replicate captures (tonex etc) I have to really tweak.
The IRX I don't have to do a lot

I feel like there's something that can be fixed from a setting standpoint to get there. The old Axe FX 2 / AX8 stuff wasn't quite as hi-fi, I noticed that difference in brightness when upgrading to the FM3 / Axe 3.

It could be better quality or high fidelity converters or something, I noticed the Boss GT-1000 made the IR-X sound a lot brighter than using it with the Fractal or Helix stuff.

There's a bit of a hi-fi quality

Totally get that. There is a bit of a pristine quality about it. It suits my ear, but I can understand.

I can’t remember what effect block I was fooling with, but I recall thinking “this sounds so perfect it’s almost sterile.” :ROFLMAO:

Try tone matching with the IR-X?

There's a bit of a hi-fi quality, like there's a slight mid scoop with a little too much high end. If you tame the highs, it dulls the sound too much. Something's just off for me with it."
This is my feeling with all the high-end component modelers these days.

I can really relate to what you’re describing. It’s so hi fi it feels and sounds a bit fake.

That's interesting, I wonder if I could get a tone matching IR with some kind of analog warmth EQ?
Which Fractal unit do you have? I don't think some random "analog warmth EQ" IR would be up to the task, you'd need to do the tone matching with the IR-X set how you like. If you can profile the IR-X from the Kemper and get good results, you should be able to tone match from the Fractal and get good results as well.

Back