Universal Audio OX Stomp

No headphone out. No XLR out. No speaker level pass-through. $400. Uhh..........
UA’s prices have always been on the higher end with less features than other cheaper options. Is what it is. I don’t like it personally either but the stuff of theirs I like I really like so I pony up. I get why others may not however and that’s totally valid opinion.

IMG_1743.gif

UA’s prices have always been on the higher end with less features than other cheaper options. Is what it is. I don’t like it personally either but the stuff of theirs I like I really like so I pony up. I get why others may not however and that’s totally valid opinion.
Sure, they think highly of themselves. I’ve had the UA Golden. It’s nice. Not as good as the Blue Sky v2. I’ve had the Starlite. Couldn’t return it fast enough. They’re a perplexing company in that they think their shit doesn’t stink. Then again, a lot of people will buy, no questions asked.

When I had the Ox Box I often wished I could run other devices through that to get the reverb/room and the cabs. If this can power a set of headphones properly it is tempting as I sit here looking at TONEX pedal and all 3 of the UA pedals. Grab any one of them, plug it into the Ox Stomp and I’d have it covered in a small package.

yea a HX Stomp can do it and much more, I’ve had two of them but by comparison that is a fiddly box full of deep menu diving rabbit holes that I wouldn’t just dial it in and play the way I do with one of the UA amp pedals. The older I get the less tolerance I have for time wasted by technology.

Last edited:
For me it's perfect. I don't care about XLR as I am running line level fx after the unit anyways, and have DIs at the end of my pedalboard, I don't need a headphone out for the beforementioned reason as well as some others (quality of headphone out, possibility to mix signal with backing tracks or click etc), I am willing to spend this money on a great cab sim as IMO it's more sound relevant than the actual amp sim, and there is NO IR loader that has that quality of room sim plus superb delay/chorusy stuff and plate and compression.
I so can't wait to get mine !!

there is NO IR loader that has that quality of room sim plus superb delay/chorusy stuff and plate and compression.
I so can't wait to get mine !!
Yeah the cabs and effects section of the OX was the only thing that impressed me about the Ox Box.

All the ways you can use the OX Stomp with units that don't need it at all!
Let us demonstrate by comparing the OX Stomp tone with the tone without any cab sims!

Seriously though... do they think the main target market for this pedal is people who already own other modelers? What is this...?

I just got one yesterday and TONEX pedal is a great match. The UA pedals a great match. TwoNotes ReVolt, helps but not enough to keep the ReVolt (Actually clean channel of ReVolt is so good I almost want to take back that statement)
looking hard at the Friedman ir x

sounds are truly excellent and presets deliver a great variety and with that it really confirms the premise that the cab/speaker/mic choice is one of the most important parts of the sound.

Great delay and room and reverb
i think I can survive without tap tempo, the app works pretty quick but overall no midi is like a great big hole in the process because there are a lot of great factory presets that keep its wonderful palette of possibilities a tap away but the control app isn’t ‘always on’ at least not like a midi controller is.

keeper for sure but if they ever get serious about a working musicians version of these pedals they made it will be a big deal long overdue. Feels like a prototype in that regard. So much potential just out of reach! And I’m not even a working musician and it hurts!

Seriously though... do they think the main target market for this pedal is people who already own other modelers?
Yeah, I honestly don’t get it. Even the TONEX Pedal has impulse response capabilities. Sure, it would allow you to use other pedals in the chain, but by the time you add the OX Stomp, you’re already into full modeler pricing.

Yeah, I honestly don’t get it. Even the TONEX Pedal has impulse response capabilities. Sure, it would allow you to use other pedals in the chain, but by the time you add the OX Stomp, you’re already into full modeler pricing.
OX Stomp brings modulation, stereo delay, etc., so I actually sorta get it for the TONEX. That's someone's "high-end amp & finishing-touches" machine, could be a nice pairing.
TwoNotes ReVolting
FIFY jk

OX Stomp brings modulation, stereo delay, etc., so I actually sorta get it for the TONEX. That's someone's "high-end amp & finishing-touches" machine, could be a nice pairing.
Plus the Tonex is pretty terrible for working with cab sims on the pedal itself so the OX Stomp makes it just physically easier.

But still, that's 814 € in total for both boxes, more than a HX Stomp, a few hundred less than a Helix LT, or about halfway to a QC, Kemper or FM3 (these Fractal EU prices man...).

I still don't understand why UA is digging their heels in so hard to not provide MIDI support, whether over USB, Bluetooth or with a separate control box ala Strymon Conduit or SA Neuro Hub. 3 years of people asking for this and they just refuse to do it. MIDI 1.0 is not a difficult protocol to implement.

Those videos linked above on how to use it with modelers conveniently ignore that any preset changes would mean there's no way to alter your cab sims, since you can't tell the OX Stomp "hey, I switched from a Marshall to a Fender, set it from rig #1 with a 4x12 GB to rig #2 which is a Fender combo speaker". You need to either stomp on OX footswitches or use the "one cab to rule them all" approach, which to be fair can be good for live consistency.

I still don't get who is the intended user here.
  • It doesn't have the features to make it stage convenient in the same way a Two Notes Cab M has XLR out, amp in/through jacks etc.
  • It doesn't support the home player because it has no headphone out or aux in for backing tracks like the Cab M does.
  • It doesn't work well with modelers due to the lack of remote control capabilities.
  • For the person recording, they now have the added inconvenience of having to edit from their phone or tablet because there doesn't seem to be a computer editor software, only one for updating the firmware (why can't you do that with the phone app?). Why isn't this a plugin instead?
To me this only leaves people who are ok with using their digital pedals as if they were regular old analog ones. Tap dancing and all that.

How to make a great "tutorial" video.
*Stock music BBQ Youtubers use when grilling meat plays*
"Bypass the cab modelling"
"Use the stereo outs"
*Screen grab of the app*
Absolutely no mention of gain staging. No mention of why you would want to do any of this.
3 second clip comparing the units with the cab sims bypassed to the OX Stomp cab sims. :facepalm
*BBQ music plays again*

I just got one yesterday and TONEX pedal is a great match. The UA pedals a great match. TwoNotes ReVolt, helps but not enough to keep the ReVolt (Actually clean channel of ReVolt is so good I almost want to take back that statement)
looking hard at the Friedman ir x

sounds are truly excellent and presets deliver a great variety and with that it really confirms the premise that the cab/speaker/mic choice is one of the most important parts of the sound.

Great delay and room and reverb
i think I can survive without tap tempo, the app works pretty quick but overall no midi is like a great big hole in the process because there are a lot of great factory presets that keep its wonderful palette of possibilities a tap away but the control app isn’t ‘always on’ at least not like a midi controller is.

keeper for sure but if they ever get serious about a working musicians version of these pedals they made it will be a big deal long overdue. Feels like a prototype in that regard. So much potential just out of reach! And I’m not even a working musician and it hurts!
Good to hear that’s a good combo. I’m sending back the IRX and keeping the Ox Stomp I ordered. I may exchange it for the ToneX and finally check one out. Weirdly enough the IRX didn’t pair well with the OX at all but with my amps into a load it’s sounded great and easily tweak able with no time sucking IR dumpster diving.

I don't see myself sinking $400 per pop on these pedals, but I selfishly would love to see the simple UI with a handful of knobs and streamlined app coopted by other manufacturers like Fractal. Like a "boutique pedal for dummies" page that secretly controls other sub parameters.

I'll be honest, I've been thinking about this pedal a lot the last week or so.

My absolute least favorite part of amp modelers is the cab section. I probably spend the majority of my time screwing around with different cabs and impulses and settings, trying to get the right balance between something that cuts vs something that isn't harsh. Especially when it comes to headphones.

As much as I'd hate to have another piece of hardware (running software) in the mix, it seems like it could really simplify things.

I'll be honest, I've been thinking about this pedal a lot the last week or so.

My absolute least favorite part of amp modelers is the cab section. I probably spend the majority of my time screwing around with different cabs and impulses and settings, trying to get the right balance between something that cuts vs something that isn't harsh. Especially when it comes to headphones.

As much as I'd hate to have another piece of hardware (running software) in the mix, it seems like it could really simplify things.
OX into IRX 😬

Back