Tube prices

I was shopping for 4 x 12ax7s. The cheap option used to be JJ's from Eurotubes, but even they were $95 for the 4 12ax7s!

The problem is I always thought JJ preamp tubes sounded terrible, but they were cheap and reliable. I thought Tung Sols sounded WAY better, but I always got a bunch of microphonic ones.

Knowing how many bad ones I used to get I'm hesitant to try them at $34 each.

Retubing my Pro Junior with:

2 x Tung Sol 12AX7
2 x JJ EL84

Used to cost me about $35. Now it's $130. With cheap option all JJs from Eurotubes it's $95

Definitely not the best time to retube your Mesa Strategy 500 now.

1667486351984.png

It appears Music and Arts is selling them for $14... every where else appears to be over $30

https://www.musicarts.com/tung-sol-12ax7-tube-main0008418

That's a great price... BUT... do they do any testing/burn-in?

Given how many bad and microphonic Tung Sol 12AX7's I used to get, even from companies that did their own testing, I don't think there's any way I'd risk buying them from someone who just receives them from the manufacturer and sends them straight out the door.

Last edited:
That's a great price... BUT... do they do any testing/burn-in?

Given how many bad and microphonic Tung Sol 12AX7's I used to get, even from companies that did their own testing, I don't think there's any way I'd risk buying them from someone who just receives them from the manufacturer and sends them straight out the door.

Yeah likely not

Ouch!! I bought/hoarded at the right time.

One more reason to go full on modeler, eh?? :idk

Ouch!! I bought/hoarded at the right time.

One more reason to go full on modeler, eh?? :idk

Could be for me.

I wanted to try to switch to the DSL40 for the shows I'm doing right now, but the tubes that came in it are noisy garbage so I was gonna at least replace the preamp tubes.

But $100 just to replace 4 preamp tubes is tough to swallow. Especially when I don't know for sure that it'll fix the noise problem.

I'm pretty sure JJ is the ONLY source for new tubes currently. The Chinese factory burned down a few years ago, and the only other source was Russia, so yeah...

I'm pretty sure JJ is the ONLY source for new tubes currently. The Chinese factory burned down a few years ago, and the only other source was Russia, so yeah...

I think you're right. Which also explains the high prices right now for all the New Sensor brands stuff (Sovtek, Tung Sol, Mullard, etc)

EDIT:
Nevermind, I didn't realize the Chinese factory was back up and running. Also, it sounds like there are more expected price increases for all the New Sensor stuff because of increased tariffs on goods from Russia.

I'm guessing that accounts for high prices of New Sensor and demand levels from being the only operating factory for a while account for JJ prices?

Could be for me.

I wanted to try to switch to the DSL40 for the shows I'm doing right now, but the tubes that came in it are noisy garbage so I was gonna at least replace the preamp tubes.

But $100 just to replace 4 preamp tubes is tough to swallow. Especially when I don't know for sure that it'll fix the noise problem.

Just a thought, but have you tried rolling V3 or V2 into the V1 slot and see if that helps with the noise??

One good thing about preamp tubes though is that they wear quite slowly and you can use 15-20 year old 12ax7s and they may still sound similar to new ones. So if you upgrade to higher quality preamp tubes and the ones you had before still worked, it’s a good idea to hang onto them for a bit.

Power tubes on the other hand are like strings from my experiences. You don’t notice your power tubes getting worn, you just get less and less enamored with your amp over time. Once you put new tubes in, it can be like changing strings on a guitar - lots of new life in the amp!

I haven't bought any tubes since I got an Axe-FX in 2008.

For shits and giggles, I went to my old tube dealer (Doug's tubes), and couldn't believe it. I could get some NOS back then for what the Chinese/Russian/JJ's go for now.

It's fucking ridiculous.

I had a few KT77's go in my D-Moll the other day. Fortunately I had some Gold Lion's stashed, otherwise it would've been a £150 buy !!!!

Back