Tube prices

Right about now most of us a singing - Thank God For The Digital Modeller

Unless tubes are microphonic I'd keep them in there until Hell Freezes Over.

For 'me', most tube changes of the same type yield very little in the way of a bold difference to justify the cost.

If you're changing from a KT88 to a 6550 THEN you can hear and feel a difference. Just replacing what's already in there ..............see above.

Thankfully I have a holy shit load of JJs but I don't exactly like them it many amps. Older tubes are often better.

Right about now most of us a singing - Thank God For The Digital Modeller

Unless tubes are microphonic I'd keep them in there until Hell Freezes Over.

For 'me', most tube changes of the same type yield very little in the way of a bold difference to justify the cost.

If you're changing from a KT88 to a 6550 THEN you can hear and feel a difference. Just replacing what's already in there ..............see above.
Really depends on the amp.

Really depends on the amp.
True but with high end amps the above has been the outcome.

I still have the original 5881s in a 1992 SLO. I did a changeover for new ones and couldn't hear or feel a thing different so back in the
originals went. This has been the same with Bogners, Friedmans, Marshalls, Elmwood.

If microphonic you MUST change them and don't delay.

As a player I can hear a volume diff if the tubes are so far out as in mismatched bias settings. Other than the volume, as a player, really makes not a lot of difference to spend a fortune given today's prices and availability.

Now change a speaker and then you hear something different. AND...............it's cheaper to do so.

Back