TONEX PEDAL ...... MAJOR FREE F/W UPDATE ..... Nov 2024

Or, in other words....

"There's no community pot of gold that requires a simple name and password to access."
Christ, amazing how you made it sound so horribe. :grin

No need to call me by my formal name ... Ben will do ;) :)

My take is this ... if I pay AUS $3,100 for a music box, I want total control over that box .... not being able to offline store my shit without having to signup to their Cloud and register and shit ... just so that they can try and shovel paid shit down my throat - is to me quite insulting - not to mention there are plenty of other equally great and better options that don't do this sort of shit .... its a modeler not an Android or apple Phone or subscription TV service. F*ck me ........ if I want to buy a pack from TJ or Amalgam or JS ..... I can only buy and load it via their cloud .... and because NDSP take their cut, the Pack costs more than if I could be it direct and load it directly ..... seriously ...f.f.s

Did I ever mention how much I despise NDSP Corporate ?

Whew ..... that felt good ;) :)

Last edited:
Neural doesn't take a cut

There is nothing you have to pay for on the cloud

Once their official Cloud Store is up, I'd be %100 sure they will (?)

Why should I have to even think about registering - I have paid AUS $3100 - which I never will ;)

If I've made some great captures and I want to email them to a friend - why the F cant I do this without uploading them and him downloading them ?

Why cant I have a full standalone desktop editor where I can do and store everything offline the way I want when I want ?

Guess Im not much of a NDSP fan :)

But if you like / love their "approach" ..... no problems .... more power to you.

Anyway .... this is a Tonex thread and I was only responding to a prior post so I'll leave my 2c here.

Once their official Cloud Store is up, I'd be %100 sure they will (?)
Well there is no cloud store right now and your previous comment was very much "right now". No use complaining about something that hasn't happened

Why should I have to even think about registering - I have paid AUS $3100 - which I never will ;)
You don't have to register it if you don't want to

If I've made some great captures and I want to email them to a friend - why the F cant I do this without uploading them and him downloading them ?
I promise you using the app to send and upload captures to the QC is much better than emailing

But if you like / love their "approach" ..... no problems .... more power to you.
I don't care either way but you often state false information about NDSP. Definitely questionable decisions made by NDSP in some aspects but let's atleast keep it accurate.

Not a fan of ToneX but solid update for users. UI looks a lot better maybe they'll reskin the whole app.
For my mileage ToneX struggles at high gain captures + input gain nightmare + needs a computer and 30-40mins of your time per capture. I'd still take a NanoCortex which does the high gain thing a lot better and can do the captures on the box.

Either way its pretty nuts this is coming to the ToneX One pedal as well, insane value on that one all things considered.

For my mileage ToneX struggles at high gain captures + input gain nightmare + needs a computer and 30-40mins of your time per capture. I'd still take a NanoCortex which does the high gain thing a lot better and can do the captures on the box.
Last I checked Tonex was still beating the QC in null tests. Did the QC update their capture tech recently?

Last I checked Tonex was still beating the QC in null tests. Did the QC update their capture tech recently?

As someone who is passionately dis-interested in null tests, there are shitloads of A/B null tests on Y/T ..... and regardless of tone or style or clean'ness or gain etc.... the Tonex always nulls tests better than the QC.

Where the Tonex *has* an issue is that it is often not known at what level / gain-staging the Capture was done and that can cause problems with the Input Gain setting on the Tonex Pedal when demo'ing / playing back captures ..... not insurmountable, but tricky.

As someone who is passionately dis-interested in null tests, there are shitloads of A/B null tests on Y/T ..... and regardless of tone or style or clean'ness or gain etc.... the Tonex always nulls tests better than the QC.

Where the Tonex *has* an issue is that it is often not known at what level / gain-staging the Capture was done and that can cause problems with the Input Gain setting on the Tonex Pedal when demo'ing / playing back captures ..... not insurmountable, but tricky.
Yeah I’m aware. While I agree it would be nice to get more info from IK on calibrating levels, overall it’s not been a real issue for me in practice.

For whatever reason ToneX just doesnt seem to handle high gain capturing as well as NAM / Tonocracy / STL ToneHub Traces. I havent done a capture or played back QC captures first hand but from what I hear they can handle high gain better than ToneX.

I've spent a stupid amount of time messing around with ToneX over the years trying different combos of levels to get the best sound out of it... The best I can get is "yeah thats kind of it". It always boils down to undergaining things to get the best results... but I dont have to make those compromises in the other capturing solutions so I dont like that I have to do it in ToneX

If anyone has any tips for capturing high gain stuff I'm all ears

For whatever reason ToneX just doesnt seem to handle high gain capturing as well as NAM / Tonocracy / STL ToneHub Traces. I havent done a capture or played back QC captures first hand but from what I hear they can handle high gain better than ToneX.

I've spent a stupid amount of time messing around with ToneX over the years trying different combos of levels to get the best sound out of it... The best I can get is "yeah thats kind of it". It always boils down to undergaining things to get the best results... but I dont have to make those compromises in the other capturing solutions so I dont like that I have to do it in ToneX

Pretty much sums up my experience with ToneX as well. I use the same reamp chain as I do for NAM and the ToneX profiles have no consistency to them when you go into the high-gain stuff.

Or they release ToneX pro
Bigger board with all the fx from the pedals 6 or 7 footswitches, touchscreen

Line 6 still has to gleefully be rubbing their hands together that iK was too stupid to make the Amplitube pedalboard WAY back around the time it became viable around 2008-2011 era. Helix + Helix Native totally obliterated Amplitube's ten + year head start
This update is the first thing to make me look twice at the ToneX. The thing's that's still keeping me from it is the missing full fledged pedalboard with 6+ footswitches. I'm an all-in-one kind of guy and I don't want to be messing around with MIDI switchers and stuff. Just give me that ToneX/Amplitube floorboard that's so obvious to everyone BUT IK.

It would be interesting to know what IK is doing to create their high gain/metal captures, as they have a number that sound great in the Tonex Max bundle that came with the pedal when I bought it.

I’ve only done some cursory captures with my 2204 and Mesa Mark III and haven’t had an opportunity to split hairs on the capture process yet.

I don't need/use hi gain. EOB captures with my own drives and comps do very well for the Tonex, for me. I sent my Nano back because, as I stated earlier, loading purchased captures is a PITA,(send them to the cloud, only to bounce back through your phone) vs just using a PC editor. They should have added the Nano to Cortex Control or rolled out a similar piece of SW. My laptop does Tonex captures ~16 minutes, not that I've done a lot.
Nano like a lot of NDSP products, just isn't as complete as you would expect it to be. IMHO

considering the Tonex is a practice tool for me, it's more than sufficient, getting more FX is icing on the cake.

Back