Tone King Sky King "unique" wiring

gearJunkie

Shredder
Watched a video posted by Rift Amplifiers about servicing a TK Sky King. I was surprised by the unusual wiring configuration used for its construction.

IMG_0384_zpsddemtrva-4150699139.jpg

Have you seen other examples of this type of construction?

Looks clean but not sure I'd want to have to work on it. Not a fan of that wiring scenario.

Looks like something cool an EE came up with in the lab.

An EE who has no mass manufacturing or warranty repair experience....
I've drawn up some weird layouts trying to be different, but at the end of the day those early Fenders nailed it for smart and all-around easy maintenance.

I've drawn up some weird layouts trying to be different, but at the end of the day those early Fenders nailed it for smart and all-around easy maintenance.

I'm a firm believer that every 4 year engineering degree should include lengthy real world exposure to the manufacturing world their designs end up having to live in.

On that note, the persons who designed and then approved the cover used on the 5153 lunchboxes should be shot.
I've already scratched myself pretty good handling the thing - and I've only had it a week.
Those top corners are deadly!

On that note, the persons who designed and then approved the cover used on the 5153 lunchboxes should be shot.
I've already scratched myself pretty good handling the thing - and I've only had it a week.
Those top corners are deadly!
I used to work in the product development department for a popular apparel brand. Sometimes shit gets through, even though it passes over hundreds of eyes and testing.

Do they sound good enough to
justif all that work.
It seems many don’t jive with the drive channels
but dig the clean channels?

I used to work in the product development department for a popular apparel brand. Sometimes shit gets through, even though it passes over hundreds of eyes and testing.

Kinda different, eh?
Seriously though, there's a simply note you add to any metal part that has exposed edges - remove all burrs and sharp edges.
Basically, toss it in the appropriate tumbler for a while.

gearing-deburring-with-ceramic-media.jpg

ceramic-deburring-steel-metal-parts.jpg

steel-laser-cutting-parts-deburring.jpg

BOOM! No more edges that can draw blood. ;)

Must have added that note to at least 500 dwgs of parts through the years.

Last edited:
Kinda different, eh?
Seriously though, there's a simply note you add to any metal part that has exposed edges - remove all burrs and sharp edges.
Basically, toss it in the appropriate tumbler for a while.

gearing-deburring-with-ceramic-media.jpg

ceramic-deburring-steel-metal-parts.jpg

steel-laser-cutting-parts-deburring.jpg

BOOM! No more edges that can draw blood. ;)

Must have added that note to at least 500 dwgs of parts through the years.
View attachment 21459
Same concept. Doesn't matter how many notes, guidance, etc. stuff gets missed. I made at least 50,000 files similar to above..... but just with kids apparel in mind. :rofl

Aren’t they made by Boutique Amps Distribution like the Morgan and Friedman amps?
Interesting that they are so different from the inside. Probably related to the specs from each developer.

At least it's not the Peavey Classic 30 tri-fold PCB held together by jumper wires.

Chassis_2.jpg

The Tone King amps are afaik designed by Mark Bartel, nowadays making his own line of Bartel Amplifiers.

I really don't understand what's the purpose of that module-like construction, when it becomes tricky to repair when it's all assembled together. To pull one out, you'd have to desolder a bunch of wires, take out the module, swap whatever is wrong with it and solder things back in again. Which sounds like a massive pain in the ass compared to just swapping the offending component on a regular board.

Back