Les Paul 50s vs Modern Wiring

James Freeman

Rock Star
I though this might be interesting to simulate and see what's the difference between 50s and Modern wiring of a Les Paul.

First, when everything is on 10 there is no difference between wiring, only when you start to roll down the controls there is a big difference between the two.
With Modern wiring both Volume and Tone behave very nicely and do not affect each other, smooth tapers from 0 to 10 on both, nothing interesting here, it works as you expect it to work, nice and even.

Now 50s wiring is way more interesting, first the pickup 3kHz resonance peak is emphasized depending on how long your cable is (capacitance).
As you roll down the Volume this 3kHz peak is not attenuated evenly but tries to maintain the same volume, hence maintains some brightness as you roll down the Volume.
The Tone control now has three regions 0-3, 3-7 and 7-10, each region will greatly affect how the Volume control works, so there is a learning curve to using the 50s wiring, but there are a lot more interesting tones straight form the guitar compared to Modern wiring.
When the Tone is rolled below 7 there is a big drop in Volume from 10 to 9 compared to Modern, it's not even or smooth, there are interactive sweet spots as you play with both controls.
Woman tone also sounds completely different and is more tune-able.

Peter Green, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, etc. all used the 50s wiring and used it very well, riding the controls like crazy and having total command of the guitar and amp.

I rewired my Edwards to 50s today and I intend to give it a long go, yes the controls feel quite wonky but into a NMV amp model it's a whole new tonal world I wasn't familiar with.
I've learned that a good start on the guitar is Vol 7 and Tone 7 on the guitar, then dial the NMV amp to nice clear at edge of breakup sound with light picking, from there I can get pretty much everything form clean to high gain just by riding the guitar controls.

--

LTSpice schematic I used.

Schem.png

The lines on the graph are Volume attenuation 3 to 10, and every image is Tone positions 0, 3, 5, 7 and 10.

Modern:
Modern.gif

50s:
50s.gif

Last edited:
My les Paul has 50s wiring and works really well but it was doing strange things to my prs when I tried it. The volume pot taper became really weird, way beyond what I have experienced with other guitars setup with 50s wiring. I also switched one of my teles to 50s wiring a few years ago and quite like it.

What an outstanding post! I feel enlightened and informed. Reported. :rofl

Love the idea of 50s wiring, and I think I tried it recently on a non-LP guitar; I had to use stacked pots on this particular instrument and the whole experiment lasted about 10 minutes..... Between the confusing controls and doubts about my wiring, I didn't have the patience to go any further. Definitely need to revisit it properly someday.

I prefer modern wiring because in 50s wiring, the volume gets reduced when you roll off the tone control. Really not that big a deal for me either way, though, because 90% of the time, I am on ten for volume and tone.

Years ago before I worked on my own gear, I had a guy install an upgraded neck pickup with a coil tap on my LP.

He took it upon himself to wire it up the old way without telling me. I took it back to him the next day thinking he fucked something up.
:columbo

I went the polar opposite way and put one of these Obsidian harnesses in my LP and I love it for what it is. Totally wrecked the "classic" tone of the LP I guess, but it's what I wanted for this one.

Looks like the new ones let you choose between 50s or 60s with a toggle. Pretty cool.

I saved the old harness and pickups of course. Maybe I'll have to give a rewire a shot and throw the stock pickups back in.

Nxx9xWG.jpeg

OzzG0Pw.jpeg

4m1apTe.jpeg

PR7vBiO.jpeg

dcqzZUy.jpeg

394ZbiI.jpeg

fY2F2nf.jpeg

gjyqxiO.jpeg

IWOcZYw.jpeg

4ahsaA8.jpeg

Stock Gibson 1959 Tribute Humbuckers:

xDsnmH6.jpeg

MtpOTIg.jpeg

SH-4 JB and SH-N2 Jazz:

FBdXUe7.jpeg

dON3R1D.jpeg

I like a 50s with modern bridge, but I've mostly gone 50s the all the way. I like it with low value caps too, generally .015 neck and .010 bridge, so they're completely usable through the whole range. For neck pickups 50s is nothing short of a revelation.

Any idea what treble bleeds do to this stuff? I was annoyed with the way my old Yamaha SA-1200S would get darker as you rolled the volume down so I put in a treble bleed to its volume pots and that fixed the problem. The guitar also has no-load tone pots from factory and push/push coil splits. Those 40+ year old parts all work without issue!

My Fenix LP is modern wiring but I have no idea what is going on in my Heatley Tradition. I've never opened it because it just worked for me.

Back