To Harley Or Not To Harley, That Is The Question?

Neil Peart was a BMW guy. Ive always been a Harley girl
I get it, but never again....not this guy.

I enjoy all motorcycles, and encourage all enthusiasts.

I was born on a Harley-Davidson, but I just can't support them anymore....too many friends that were mechanics for them ...and I know too much. I also am a broke mo fo, and learned my lessons the hard way....from now on......gold wing, any future space cushy bagger ...yep.

I get it, but never again....not this guy.

I enjoy all motorcycles, and encourage all enthusiasts.

I was born on a Harley-Davidson, but I just can't support them anymore....too many friends that were mechanics for them ...and I know too much. I also am a broke mo fo, and learned my lessons the hard way....from now on......gold wing, any future space cushy bagger ...yep.
I have heard that harley davidsons quality has gone downhill.

I have heard that harley davidsons quality has gone downhill.
It's the same everywhere these days, sadly. Everything has gone downhill.

Don't get me wrong, I love many Harley-Davidson motorcycles, just not any in the past 25 years.

I once wanted one of each.....but now ... I'd take a nice pan or knuckle.....just to start and piddle on for 30 miles......those are choice!!!! Big ol banana seat with a massive pylon.

Like this!!!

20240831_174920.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love many Harley-Davidson motorcycles, just not any in the past 25 years.

I once wanted one of each.....but now ... I'd take a nice pan or knuckle.....just to start and piddle on for 30 miles......those are choice!!!! Big ol banana seat with a massive pylon.

Like this!!!

View attachment 27627
That thing is cool but it looks hard to ride.

Like this!!!

View attachment 27627

Turning Radius = Entire Football Field. :LOL:

My dad pretty much said the same to me when I wanted a 1200.

But he said gorilla f#$king a football.

I had a Duece that was very flashy and loud for a minute, that was fun.... until you have to pay to get it repeatedly repaired....every year.

Had a 1984 softail that was far more reliable......

If I had it to do now ....BMW. all day. Period.

Live footage??? :idk

bike win GIF

I can't do the mandated BMW riding suit required in order to own a BMW.

:beer

Soft tail deuce?
They are both soft tails! 2000 FLSTS = Heritage Springer Softail and 2003 FXSTDSEI = Screamin Eagle Deuce, mine is a 100th Anniversary Edition CVO (hence the SE near the end, the I is for fuel injection)!! I hear you on the maintenance costs and costs in general, it is one of the reasons I have not ridden either of mine in years. That and where I live, this just ain't ridin' country IMO!!! I put over 100,000 miles on those two bikes in the first 6 years I owned them including three cross country tours, so you know that to me, ridin' ain't B to B, it's an all day affair (not that I have never engaged in two wheel B to B adventures, just not my go to ride path when on two wheels). Longest day ever was 1,028 miles (long story, even longer ride, but I had to GTFO of Nawlins). Average day for me was 200-300. When I bought them, I was living in California and had mega cool riding in every direction (although west bound ended only a couple of miles from the house, stupid ocean)!!! But yeah, if I was in ridin' country, I would have, like I said, a Road Glide or a Goldwing (maybe a BMW, but I don't know the current line up so I can't name one)! Something with hard bags and all the toys to keep me comfy and clued in while I stare at the beauty around me ;~)) And I don't do interstates either, two lane country roads are my home!!! First tour was 9 weeks, 13,293 miles, coast to coast, north to south, covered a lot of America ;~)) That was 24 years ago ;~((

Last edited:
They are both soft tails! 2000 FLSTS = Heritage Springer Softail and 2003 FXSTDSEI = Screamin Eagle Deuce, mine is a 100th Anniversary Edition CVO (hence the SE near the end, the I is for fuel injection)!! I hear you on the maintenance costs and costs in general, it is one of the reasons I have not ridden either of mine in years. That and where I live, this just ain't ridin' country IMO!!! I put over 100,000 miles on those two bikes in the first 6 years I owned them including three cross country tours, so you know that to me, ridin' ain't B to B, it's an all day affair (not that I have never engaged in two wheel B to B adventures, just not my go to ride path when on two wheels). Longest day ever was 1,028 miles (long story, even longer ride, but I had to GTFO of Nawlins). Average day for me was 200-300. When I bought them, I was living in California and had mega cool riding in every direction (although west bound ended only a couple of miles from the house, stupid ocean)!!! But yeah, if I was in ridin' country, I would have, like I said, a Road Glide or a Goldwing (maybe a BMW, but I don't know the current line up so I can't name one)! Something with hard bags and all the toys to keep me comfy and clued in while I stare at the beauty around me ;~)) And I don't do interstates either, two lane country roads are my home!!! First tour was 9 weeks, 13,293 miles, coast to coast, north to south, covered a lot of America ;~)) That was 24 years ago ;~((
I had a 2002 duece that was pretty fancy and all done up. But I spent more on the repairs over 5 years than I did on the bike!!! One was the mechanics fault ..but that's another story.

Sounds like you would have some stories to tell....I always wanted to cross country, my dad and I were supposed to but he got the cancer....so that ended that.

I totally agree about 2 lane roads and staying off the beaten path....that's my way too.

Sounds weird, and there is more to it than this, but since my dad passed like 8 years ago....I haven't really wanted to ride....and that kind of sucks.

I have a Kawasaki concourse in my barn, and I like that too....kind of a sport tourer ..a ninja with bags .. essentially...but I've needed to replace the motor for a while now....just don't have the motivation to do it.

It is cool to hear everyone's tales and adventures though.

Back