To Harley Or Not To Harley, That Is The Question?

My first group ride was a weekend in the VA mountains camping, with older guys, more experienced than me. It was the summer of 83, when I had my new KZ750. We get about an hour into the 4 hour ride and it starts raining. So we all pull over under a highway overpass to put on our rain gear, but I'm like..., Rain gear? What's that? :facepalm

Fortunately back then I rode with a full-face helmet, but I didn't even have gloves! I had to ride with my fingers held upwards, to keep the rain from stinging them! Finally after about an hour-and-a-half it let up, and we stopped to eat. I remember being soaked, and shivering, even though it was summer, because of the A/C being on in the restaurant! :rofl

I was SO happy to change into some dry clothes!
But you learned so much that day!!!!

Also, that is great scenery and an amazing ride.

So this happened... and so it begins, @la szum? :love :grin:clint:brick

IMG_6729-EDIT copy.jpeg

We met at my house this morning. I didn't go. :idk Roads even up this way are chock full of
people buzzing to and fro, and that is not my idea of a good time. I want to enjoy myself. Be able
to relax a little. Also, where the other folks had decided to go would be a nice ride, but the
spot is a one way in and one way out thing. It'll be nuts! I don't like nuts unless it is coming
from me. So I stayed home, and they called me all kinds of names for not going. :rofl

All in good fun! Not actually friends if you can't handle a playful jab/insult now and again. :beer

Last edited:
I think next spring i will get a sportster 1200. I like the sportster for its size, but mine is the 883, not enough power, plus it gave me a lot of trouble. Also my superglide is 20s years old. I just couldn't afford to do it this year. Its served me well but i feel like i need something smaller.

I think next spring i will get a sportster 1200. I like the sportster for its size, but mine is the 883, not enough power, plus it gave me a lot of trouble. Also my superglide is 20s years old. I just couldn't afford to do it this year. Its served me well but i feel like i need something smaller.
I say dump them both (883 and SuperGlide) and get you a sweet 1200! I have two (2000 FLSTS and 2003 FXSTDSEI) and if I was in good riding country, I would likely sell them both and get me a CVO Road Glide or a Goldwing, but that is just me ;~))

Yeah labor day weekend is the worst....in the past I was occupied and didn't ride them....so that was nice.

Plus, that is a recipe for stopping every 45 minutes for pee breaks ....and that sucks.

Don't beat yourself up.....I'm sure they understand.

Yup. True. :beer

We're all friends of 20 years or so, so they know me and I know them. We're good!

I think I needed a full day at home with minimal movement anyways. :pickle

I look like a Gorilla on a minibike on a Sportster.

:sofa

:beer

I will get something smaller and lighter and more nimble someday, though.
My dad pretty much said the same to me when I wanted a 1200.

But he said gorilla f#$king a football.

I had a Duece that was very flashy and loud for a minute, that was fun.... until you have to pay to get it repeatedly repaired....every year.

Had a 1984 softail that was far more reliable......

If I had it to do now ....BMW. all day. Period.

My dad pretty much said the same to me when I wanted a 1200.

But he said gorilla f#$king a football.

I had a Duece that was very flashy and loud for a minute, that was fun.... until you have to pay to get it repeatedly repaired....every year.

Had a 1984 softail that was far more reliable......

If I had it to do now ....BMW. all day. Period.
Neil Peart was a BMW guy. Ive always been a Harley girl

Back