To Harley Or Not To Harley, That Is The Question?

I think I recall them building migratory overpasses somewhere here in the States for that reason. Maybe out West?

Oh yeah. In Canada. Banff. Not feasible everywhere. Still pretty cool.

PC_crossing_web-2.jpg

PC_crossing_web.jpg

Attachments

• PC_crossing_web-2.jpg
    PC_crossing_web-2.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 7
Been riding since about 3rd grade on dirt bikes and Harley’s since I got out of high school. I still ride and go to out of state rallies to meet up with my old friends. This one is my favorite and the one I’ve kept the longest…2009 Dyna Super Glide Custom with a shit tone of mods that I did myself. Harley’s are my other passion…
7C511104-A91A-4946-85F3-3E5C7D245BDF.jpeg

Well as to the original question, I say go for it! Sounds like you have enough experience and sense to safely own/enjoy one!! Keep in mind while choosing, exactly what it is you are going to use it for. Do you need full dress or just some saddle bags, that kind of stuff. I own two HD's, a 2000 FLSTS (Heritage Springer Softail) and a 2003 Screamin' Eagle Deuce (pic below). I put over 100,000 miles on the two of them in the first 6 years I owned them including 3 cross country jaunts.

On to the deer story (or lack thereof)! The WORST riding I EVER did was from Minneapolis to Milwaukee in 2001, at night in the summer. For those of you unaware, in the state of Wisconsin, the #1 cost for auto insurance companies is deer collisions. I HAD to cover that ground that night for reasons I won't go into here, but I nearly shat myself for several hours as I passed one deer crossing sign after another. My legs were literally shaking and I actually maintained near the speed limit for most of that trip (not my usual modus operandi), because of the deer threat! That said, never hit one, did not even see one the whole time ;~)) The worst thing I hit on my bikes was a racoon in Golden Gate park one night in SF, F'er jumped out of the bushes and ran right in front of me. There was no going around it or stopping in time so I rose out of the seat a bit, gripped the bars tight and held her straight. I did not stop to check on the little guy/gal as there was nothing I could do anyway.

Nothing like the thrill of two wheels, both motorized and self propelled! Make it so!!

FXSTDSEI_2006_01.jpg

On to the deer story (or lack thereof)! The WORST riding I EVER did was from Minneapolis to Milwaukee in 2001, at night in the summer. For those of you unaware, in the state of Wisconsin, the #1 cost for auto insurance companies is deer collisions. I HAD to cover that ground that night for reasons I won't go into here, but I nearly shat myself for several hours as I passed one deer crossing sign after another.
Night riding reminds me of another habit I use:

Our eyes have receptors that are sensitive to movement, but they aren't directly in our line of sight, they're slightly offset. So at night, you're more likely to pick up any movement, from an animal e.g., by keeping your eyes moving across your field of vision. That saying "saw something out of the corner of my eye" probably has something to do with this aspect of our eyesight.

Back in my Kawasaki-riding days I subscribed to motorcyclist magazine, and an editor named Joe Minton wrote a column dedicated to maintenance and safe-riding habits. I learned this tip about night riding and several others from his column.

No. I am not going to cram my balls onto a Cafe style Racer, and lay my torso on the gas tank. Not gonna happen. :cop

They say once you are past 50 getting an Harley Davidson is part and parcel of the American Male Archeytype. I
have looked over the years. Have friends who own and ride. This is the most curious and interested I have been.

Kind of shopping and seeing what is out there right now.:love

Pretty sure if I buy smart (used) I can at least recoup my money if it is not for me. Grew up riding dirt bikes and
have some skills, so not concerned about that.

Anyone else Harley curious, or Harley devoted and into riding?I feel like this is something I want to do and
experience (even if it includes taking my life into my own hands by dealing with "drivers" who often don't
grant motorcyclists equal treatment and respect on the road).

Thoughts? Experiences? Words of caution and sanity? :LOL:

Seriously. Buy a Honda Cruiser. Ok I will take my finders fee in gear.

Night riding reminds me of another habit I use:

Our eyes have receptors that are sensitive to movement, but they aren't directly in our line of sight, they're slightly offset. So at night, you're more likely to pick up any movement, from an animal e.g., by keeping your eyes moving across your field of vision. That saying "saw something out of the corner of my eye" probably has something to do with this aspect of our eyesight.

Back in my Kawasaki-riding days I subscribed to motorcyclist magazine, and an editor named Joe Minton wrote a column dedicated to maintenance and safe-riding habits. I learned this tip about night riding and several others from his column.

I am pretty sure I will NEVER ride at night. Just a lot more unknowns and unpredictable variables at night
in the Forest. Bad enough in a Truck or Car.

Having driven home late from a bunch of gigs over the years the last thing I would want is to be on a
motorcycle in those hours.

Oh, and the fucking clouds of bugs plastered all over your bike and body is not something I am into either. :cop

Didn't Neil Peart like Beemers, too? So there is that. :idk

I could see potentially owning one of those Dual Sport/Enduro style bikes. Those would be fun, because
then you could go off-road, too.

One of my dreams I guess, is to cruise up to a gig on my Triumph with guitar strapped across my back,
pull up next to the stage and jump on and plug in and start playing right away.
Then finish the set and jump back on the bike and ride off !!

But... sigh... just the usual happens..... pack the gear in the truck, unload at the venue, setup, sound check, play the show, (from here on is where age is starting to catch up) pack down, load up truck, drive off back home, wake up in the morning, unload the truck (which I still have yet to do right now, after coffee and procrastinating) .

Here is a picture of one exactly like mine.
13ba0bb1bf67ac4e54b124585ea3d47e.jpg

Last edited:
Back