To Harley Or Not To Harley, That Is The Question?

Didn't Neil Peart like Beemers, too? So there is that. :idk

I could see potentially owning one of those Dual Sport/Enduro style bikes. Those would be fun, because
then you could go off-road, too.

Now you’re thinking … Bake in the fact that if you need to scoot… roads are gonna be a mess here once Skynet lets loose…

film fire GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

Fail Will Ferrell GIF by Paramount Pictures

high five living on the edge GIF

Bah! That's like saying Les Pauls suck. Oh, wait.... you have said that to be objectively true as I recall. :knit:nails

:rofl
Now that you mention it, YES! Harleys are the Les Pauls of motorcycles.
Didn't Neil Peart like Beemers, too? So there is that. :idk

I could see potentially owning one of those Dual Sport/Enduro style bikes. Those would be fun, because
then you could go off-road, too.
Yes he did.

One of my dreams I guess, is to cruise up to a gig on my Triumph with guitar strapped across my back,
pull up next to the stage and jump on and plug in and start playing right away.
Then finish the set and jump back on the bike and ride off !!

But... sigh... just the usual happens..... pack the gear in the truck, unload at the venue, setup, sound check, play the show, (from here on is where age is starting to catch up) pack down, load up truck, drive off back home, wake up in the morning, unload the truck (which I still have yet to do right now, after coffee and procrastinating) .

Here is a picture of one exactly like mine.
13ba0bb1bf67ac4e54b124585ea3d47e.jpg

I had a 68 Bonny 650 with 6" extended forks for a few years. Loved it. Sold it for double of what I paid and it ran as good on the day I sold it as it did the day I bought it. I stopped riding back in 2001 when a episode of vertigo caused me to dump my bike at around 45mph. I have pretty much conquered the vertigo so I have been looking for a bike also.

I know a lot about Harley's. They almost went under in the early 80's, and if not for Malcolm Forbes and a group of employees who basically mortgaged their future to buy a failing company, it probably would have. The Japanese manufacturers were building much more reliable bikes at cheaper prices, so it was grim. HD was able to get the US government to impose an import tariff of 49% (that went down 10% each year) on any bikes over 700 cc., which is why in 1984 we suddenly had inline-4 700's instead of 750's. My 2nd new bike was a 1984 KZ 700 that I bought to replace the new KZ 750 I had totalled (riding too crazy in town with only 1 year of experience.)

HD introduced a genius marketing campaign at that time: $3995 when you buy, $3995 when you sell, for the new 883 Sportster. Trade it in on a new Harley, and they gave you what you paid towards the purchase of a new HD. They had to extend the production that year to like 16 months, it worked so well. Gone were the days of HD being owned by a bowling ball company, AMF, who just didn't care, and wouldn't invest in the brand. And yes, Harley's had developed a terrible reputation for unreliability, oil leaks, and blown head gaskets at 10,000 miles because they used dissimilar metals for the heads and cylinders that made them expand at different rates bad enough to cause those problems.

The new owners had to choose carefully what improvements they'd invest in, because if the sales didn't follow pretty quickly, these people could've lost their homes, that's how touch-and-go it was those first few years. I'm pretty sure a new transmission was first up, followed by a new engine, that if my memory is correct, was called the Evo.

They rebuilt HD, the brand, and reliability followed, and they saved the oldest American motorcycle company in existence at the time from sure demise. They eventually built a new, state-of-the-art factory in York, PA on the same grounds as the older one, and I also seem to remember the employees saying it was the one they preferred working in, partly because the bikes came around on these air-inflatable supports, that an employee could adjust to a comfortable height for them to work on as they passed by their station.

Back in my Kaw-riding days, I was extremely outspoken about Harley's being overpriced and unreliable, with old tech, much of which was true. But they introduced a superb model in the V-Rod, while further refining what the brand is based on, an air-cooled 45 degree V-Twin. HD is nothing like it used to be. They build a fine line of bikes.

There's a saying about Harley Davidson motorcycles that goes: Why I ride a Harley... for those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none is possible. It's true. I had fantastic times and experiences on mine.

Last edited:
I know a lot about Harley's. They almost went under in the early 80's, and if not for Malcolm Forbes and a group of employees who basically mortgaged their future to buy a failing company, it probably would have. The Japanese manufacturers were building much more reliable bikes at cheaper prices, so it was grim. HD was able to get the US government to impose an import tariff of 49% (that went down 10% each year) on any bikes over 700 cc., which is why in 1984 we suddenly had inline-4 700's instead of 750's. My 2nd new bike was a 1984 KZ 700 that I bought to replace the new KZ 750 I had totalled (riding too crazy in town with only 1 year of experience.)

HD introduced a genius marketing campaign at that time: $3995 when you buy, $3995 when you sell, for the new 883 Sportster. Trade it in on a new Harley, and they gave you what you paid towards the purchase of a new HD. They had to extend the production that year to like 16 months, it worked so well. Gone were the days of HD being owned by a bowling ball company, AMF, who just didn't care, and wouldn't invest in the brand. And yes, Harley's had developed a terrible reputation for unreliability, oil leaks, and blown head gaskets at 10,000 miles because they used dissimilar metals for the heads and cylinders that made them expand at different rates bad enough to cause those problems.

The new owners had to choose carefully what improvements they'd invest in, because if the sales didn't follow pretty quickly, these people could've lost their homes, that's how touch-and-go it was those first few years. I'm pretty sure a new transmission was first up, followed by a new engine, that if my memory is correct, was called the Evo.

They rebuilt HD, the brand, and reliability followed, and they saved the oldest American motorcycle company in existence at the time from sure demise. They eventually built a new, state-of-the-art factory in York, PA on the same grounds as the older one, and I also seem to remember the employees saying it was the one they preferred working in, partly because the bikes came around on these air-inflatable supports, that an employee could adjust to a comfortable height for them to work on as they passed by their station.

Back in my Kaw-riding days, I was extremely outspoken about Harley's being overpriced and unreliable, with old tech, much of which was true. But they introduced a superb model in the V-Rod, while further refining what the brand is based on, an air-cooled 45 degree V-Twin. HD is nothing like it used to be. They build a fine line of bikes.

There's a saying about Harley Davidson motorcycles that goes: Why I ride a Harley... for those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none is possible. It's true. I had fantastic times and experiences on mine.

The only Harley I ever owned was an AMF Dirt Bike and the thing wouldnt stay running for 10 minutes. My Uncle Billy was a Harley mechanic for 40 years or so. He's the one who told me many times to buy Honda instead.

The CMO of the “new” Harley spoke at one of our annual kickoff conferences one year as keynote speaker.

The key message was learn how to “value sell“… Add value to the customer to increase profits, without really increasing your costs to get your customer to pay more for ever …

A good brand will help you do that.

I worked for a brand last gig where that when you put the business card on the table, everybody thought you were 25 IQ points smarter than you really were. (Lol… used that crutch a lot 😂 )

I like EVOs.

I like the reliability (current is almost 10 years with oil changes).

I like the likes of bikes that you can stick Harley engines in, or engines based on Harleys.

Brother is on his 3rd RK, and I’m on my 6th? bobber. I dig hard tails, even tho I’m 49 and would benefit from a decent suspension lol

Kid brother gets pissed whenever we go out and I need to stop for gas every two hours.

I’ve ridden a lot over the years, from racing dirt bikes as a kid, to crotch rockets (Ninjas and Yammie 600s) to pick up chicks to the hard tails.

I’m a fan of magnetos/kick starts/straight bars and fuck forward controls.

Ride like you’re gonna die soon.

Good luck man, hope you find a great bike.

Last edited:

Ah yes the Kawasaki 700 .
I had an 84 also but it was an Ltd i bought used for $650 years ago .

Update
This fawn was taken down and eaten by a black bear behind our house last night 😔

Sad certainly; Circle of life.

I built a house in Colorado and walked around the property with the builder one day, showing him mountain lion tracks in the mud. And his buddy laughed it off, saying they were dog paw prints.

They laughed for about 10 minutes until I walked them over to the neighbors property and showed them the 200+ pound mule deer laying in the mud, recently deceased and savaged by a mountain lion.

They wanted to leave the property shortly there after.

Nature reminds us of the fact that there are indeed rules to abide; regardless of your hubris.

I think many people have forgotten natural law at this point believe in some made up shit they learnt from government indoctrination camp …. Errr … school.

Sad certainly; Circle of life.

I built a house in Colorado and walked around the property with the builder one day, showing him mountain lion tracks in the mud. And his buddy laughed it off, saying they were dog paw prints.

They laughed for about 10 minutes until I walked them over to the neighbors property and showed them the 200+ pound mule deer laying in the mud, recently deceased and savaged by a mountain lion.

They wanted to leave the property shortly there after.

Nature reminds us of the fact that there are indeed rules to abide; regardless of your hubris.

I think many people have forgotten natural law at this point believe in some made up s**t they learnt from government indoctrination camp …. Errr … school.

Yep the circle of life. Last year I was out pulling weeds in my front yard and the family of feral cats I care for were hanging around watching me, including 4 kittens. A coyote snuck up and grabbed one of the kittens and took off with it. I ran as fast as I could after it screaming and growling hoping to get it to drop the kitten but I was too late. Since then I have taken down a couple coyotes on my property and havent seen any more this year. Almost stepped on a bull snake a few days ago. Not venomous but can really f*ck your day up if they bite. I let it be because they do a great job with rodents and rattlers.

I do not like bikes, due to the tragic accidents I’ve observed. That being said,

Even I want a Harley. They’re awesome looking. Wouldn’t be caught dead riding one, but still want one.

I’ve had a mild interest in riding for the last couple years. Every time I go on a long drive I get the urge, it just looks like a great way to have a nice, chill ride on a nice day. No interest in a sports bike, but something I could just sit back and enjoy the scenery would probably be fun.

That said, about a month after I got my license I was waiting to take a left turn, get my chance and start pulling forward and as I complete the turn I hear the thud and glass shattering towards the rear of the car; this asshat was testing a bike and gunned it coming down the hill in the opposite direction, the dude wasn’t even visible when I started the turn but because he was hauling ass at about 90 coming down the hill he nailed the back of my parent’s car. Dude flew about 35 feet and got tore up, gets up immediately and starts coming after me as if I did it to him. The cops show up and immediately see the long ass skid mark in the road from him slamming his breaks when he saw my car and knew right away the guy was speeding.

He refused medical attention at the scene then tried suing the insurance company later for head trauma and never got a dime.

Back