The Unofficial Gallery of Boogies

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

I have the same Mesa amps; bought them used and I suspect they need tubes. I've heard that pre amp tubes last a lot longer than power amp tubes. Did you notice a bigger improvement by replacing the tubes in the power amp vs. the pre amp?
This is interesting.

Generally, Boogies, being so cool-biased aren't very hard on output tubes if you ask most techs. The reason they are biased so cool, is so the so-called Boogie Matched sets can be thrown into them with them without being biased too hot. Not sure any boogies have bias pots like most amps do. My Mark iii and Strategy 500 don't. As long as it's the right family, it would be unlikely any output tube in a Mesa that will end up biased too hot.

Another school of thought one tech told me, was the idea behind the Simul-class deal with the two valves in triode (the Class A bit is marketing BS), is to counteract the potential bland tone of extra cross-over distortion from the cold biasing of the pentode-connected pair, to sweeten up the sound. Triode connecting a power valve sounds a little sweater, but with less headroom (and more noise).

This is my Mark III Blue Stripe Simul Class (currently slightly modded with a cap in C30 to get closer to red stripe/C+ tones). This one came as a combo but I prefer it as a head. I moved the 12L from the combo over to the oversized VBoutique cab and it sounds absolutely monstrous. My 1960A rarely comes out anymore.

Back