The Unofficial Gallery of Boogies

Welcome Coalface!

I like that 5 band EQ. I've been thinking of picking one up for some time.

Thanks Sir.

The 5-Band is a great little toolbox. A lot can be done with it, as it's released from the architecture of a Mesa Mk into the wild.

Michael Neilson has a great demo of this in the loop of a 2203 or 2204, doing Sykes '87, if you haven't seen it already.

So much goodness in here :satan:chef :love:chef:satan

Late to the party but I will play anyway
Mf4qbtG.jpg
Nice JT. Is that a GR-55 on top the Mesa?

Thanks. It is a GR55 on top of the Boogie.
Hoping not to derail a Boogie thread, but is being absorbed into a larger rig with my Mkiii if that gets me off the hook. Rackmounted most of my modelling setup including a GR-55. The old RG has Ghost and Acoustiphonic, hence the Baggs preamp. GR and Acoustiphonic get mixed via a pair of Suhr Minimix ii's (under the Baggs pre) back into the FX Return of the Axe in stereo. Run then Axe return back into a mixer block on the Axe's grid. Lots of potential as annoying at the GR-55 can be.

QRt3yxj.jpg

63RR0pF.jpg

Hoping not to derail a Boogie thread, but is being absorbed into a larger rig with my Mkiii if that gets me off the hook. Rackmounted most of my modelling setup including a GR-55. The old RG has Ghost and Acoustiphonic, hence the Baggs preamp. GR and Acoustiphonic get mixed via a pair of Suhr Minimix ii's (under the Baggs pre) back into the FX Return of the Axe in stereo. Run then Axe return back into a mixer block on the Axe's grid. Lots of potential as annoying at the GR-55 can be.

QRt3yxj.jpg

63RR0pF.jpg
christian bale laughing GIF

Oh lordy! :love :love :love :satan

How's that Framus! Always wanted to try one \m/

QRt3yxj.jpg

63RR0pF.jpg

Obviously you get a pass for that sexy Mark III!!!

Love the framus too!! I feel like at one point those were a grail then everyone suddenly stopped talking about them

Whoops! Missed some other Mesa content.....Headtrack in this little rack....

UbCPNyY.jpg

Obviously you get a pass for that sexy Mark III!!!

Love the framus too!! I feel like at one point those were a grail then everyone suddenly stopped talking about them

One more derial @Coalface1971 . What speakers are in the Atomic cabs?

f*****g Framus, there is a love hate thing haha @JiveTurkey

I have heard that too, from a reliability/build standpoint!

The Dragon, I've had for 20 years! A lot have asked me about reliability with it. It's never broken down on me, put bright switches on each channel, and other than biasing, was only time I've ever had it opened. It's an early one (V2, no bias test points, AC heaters, slower channel switching opto-couplers).

Internally, not too much to go wrong relatively to any other channel switcher. Did hear about flash-over trouble with the power sections on Cobras/Dragons but has never happened with mine. If it was going to grenade, I'm from Down Under, it has a Euro-spec 230vac power transformer. In Oz, we are at 235vac+, on a hot day with a heap of solar, I can see 245vac. That puts the Framus' HT well over 530vdc, where EL34's these days are screaming for mercy. Maybe it's coming, but they have fly-back diodes across the OT in them stock. If breaks, I'll fix it - not a complex amp.

Sound-wise. It's an ~X-88r pre with a loop and a Marshall power section (no choke, but I've thought about throwing a 5mH in it). Had an X-88r pre for a while. But was doubling up with the Framus, and amp heads are easier to handle than pre's and poweramps imo. Smoother, more polite than my SLO or Mkiii.

@Jive, the speakers in the valve Atomics are the original Eminence, and some adjustable tweeter. Not sure what they are/were based upon. For whatever reason these didn't take off. Didn't like them initially, but got a handle on them eventually (had an Axe Ultra when I got them - long, long ago). Being valve, gotta turn 'em up a bit, and though EQ-ed to take a speaker simulation, they have sweeter spots like any valve poweramp. Not like a solid state PA at all. Maybe that was the problem?

Haven't played this rig in a while, but I just finished replacing every tube (thanks Doug).

All the boogie-love on this forum has me contemplating a Mark VII combo.
I have the same Mesa amps; bought them used and I suspect they need tubes. I've heard that pre amp tubes last a lot longer than power amp tubes. Did you notice a bigger improvement by replacing the tubes in the power amp vs. the pre amp?

I have the same Mesa amps; bought them used and I suspect they need tubes. I've heard that pre amp tubes last a lot longer than power amp tubes. Did you notice a bigger improvement by replacing the tubes in the power amp vs. the pre amp?
In my experience, preamp tubes only need to be replaced if they stop working or they become extremely noisy and/or microphonic.

My preamp tubes were fine as-is, but I wanted to alter (reduce) the total amount of gain to allow for more "musical" tones at the extremes. Doug (https://dougstubes.com/) helped me select a "pool" of 10 various flavors (ax7, at7, ay7) which I rolled through each socket until I found the combination I liked best with the least amount of noise.

Power amp tubes, however, definitely make the amp feel brand new. I asked Doug for ideas on taming the 2:90's sheer volume. Again, Doug had helpful suggestions and recommended a matched octet of short-bottle 6l6s.

I haven't had an opportunity to put the new setup through its paces, but my first reaction was a perma-grin with a sonic dent in my chest. super happy 😁

Back