The OG

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all, so putting my DK-24 through some paces as i expected I'm not too crazy about the SD full shred, I mean its not terrible but its not what id like.
So after lots of research and tone comparions (Mike Stamper), reviews, im Finding that the Dimarzio Super Distortion OG is still the one to beat out of all the myriad of choices out there, of course this is based on my needs and as always its matter of preference
So Def going to order the OG for my DK-24

1701341481796.png

How many here have or have used a SD at one time or another
Curious as to your experience

:beer

Good choice Stone. (y)
I think you'll enjoy it.

I've got the full hb and 2 single rail versions of it. Love em. Wish I had used the SD sooner.

Never used one! What sort of base tone does it have? Like, the Crunch Lab I quite like... but it is VERY different to the Duncan Distortion, for example. I'd describe the CL as 'dark, but not muddy'.

The Steve's Special is my favorite from Dimarzio. I think JP used one at some point too? A bit more scooped overall, and clearer sounding. Fat bottom.

Read an interview with Joe Perry where he was lamenting about all of the guys in the 70s that tossed out (in hindsight) KILLER Gibson PAFs just to slap the new SD's in. It's a cool pickup and all but once OD pedals started getting refined everyone wished they had those original PAFs back.

:rofl

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has a SD in his LP. I loved it. But that was a long time ago. I feel like there are a lot more Dimarzio's that do that type of sound now, but are more..., 'refined.'

Yup. They work in those big ass slabs of Mahogany. Iconic! I have my doubts about how they would
work in a Superstrat style guitar, though. Maybe great. Maybe not. :idk

Hey @Stone, if you're into classic Def Leppard then that's your reference!
Phil Collen has used a Super Distortion on all the classic albums (as far as I'm aware.)

:beer

Super Distortion drenched in Rockman. :LOL:

I kid. Doesn't he use 13s or something insane like that, too? :idk

I was kind of amazed at how "dark" is artist preset was in the Fractalverse Gift of Tone
offering from a year ago. Maybe that SD in a Super Strat with a Floyd plays a role in that.
Always hard for me to separate one item out of a chain of dozens of links that have an
impact on the resulting tone. :beer

Back