Build your Own

Perhaps his Ibanez is a double locking system? Very different in regards to tuning stability. And my dozens of Ibanez double locking guitars are extremely stable...
Meh, I've had guitars with non-locking systems that are perfectly stable with pretty heavy bar use. And he's looking at a build with a non-locking system.

There is no action I am more leery of, and skeptical about, than building your own guitar,
and having never done so before. :idk

My observations and experience is that about 90% of Partscaster builders overestimate their skills,
and then underestimate the actual costs.

"Never done it before, but I am smarter than 90% of other guitarists and am in the top 10%. I got this!"

We all think that..... apart from some real-life humility. :LOL:

Not being snarky either. It can be a grand waste of time and $$$, on a scale unrivaled by any other
action a guitarist can take. Other than maybe a bad Cooke habit. :LOL:

That doesn't mean some don't pull it off, and do some with a lot of value in a great instrument. I am just
saying 9 times out of 10 it doesn't actually end up that way. 9 times out of 10 you end up with a guitar that
isn't as good as something you could get off the shelf much cheaper, and better constructed.

Maybe with the great advice of those who have made all the mistakes you can be spared the
cruel fate of a bad investment in time and $$$, Mike. :beer

There is no action I am more leery of, and skeptical about, than building your own guitar,
and having never done so before. :idk

My observations and experience is that about 90% of Partscaster builders overestimate their skills,
and then underestimate the actual costs.

"Never done it before, but I am smarter than 90% of other guitarists and am in the top 10%. I got this!"

We all think that..... apart from some real-life humility. :LOL:

Not being snarky either. It can be a grand waste of time and $$$, on a scale unrivaled by any other
action a guitarist can take. Other than maybe a bad Cooke habit. :LOL:

That doesn't mean some don't pull it off, and do some with a lot of value in a great instrument. I am just
saying 9 times out of 10 it doesn't actually end up that way. 9 times out of 10 you end up with a guitar that
isn't as good as something you could get off the shelf much cheaper, and better constructed.

Maybe with the great advice of those who have made all the mistakes you can be spared the
cruel fate of a bad investment in time and $$$, Mike. :beer
Yes as stated I've abandoned that prospect too expensive :guiness

Meh, I've had guitars with non-locking systems that are perfectly stable with pretty heavy bar use. And he's looking at a build with a non-locking system.
I bet you've also had non-locking guitars that weren't? The double locking system is pretty easy to make stable...

I bet you've also had non-locking guitars that weren't? The double locking system is pretty easy to make stable...
I mean, I've had non-trem guitars that weren't stable?

(1). This is a moot point because he's not doing it.
(2). He specifically said he was wanting to build a non-locking system. A good tech can setup a non-locking trem such that it doesn't have tuning stability issues. So have one of those people do the build/setup if that's what you want to do.

Back