The official, original QC owners, non-owners & complainers thread

"One of the things that some people really didn't like it that I said my video that the Helix often sounds closer to my real amps than the stock QC amp models."

Big, big, BIG +1. I don't have a lot of experience with most of the amps Helix (and the QC) model, but L6 definitely seems to capture their essence much better than the QC, which has this very boomy, exaggerated low-end response across the line.

The tonal characteristics are there, but on the QC it feels like the EQ is off all the time; great for metal chugging, and can be made to sit nicely on a mix, but not entirely realistic IMHO. On the other hand, this also means that Helix usually takes a bit more tweaking to get expected results.

I think the people people who complain about Helix's Brit Trem models being too fizzy never had the chance to play one in real life.

PS: Someone needs to invite Jon to this place. He's a good egg.
When I had the QC, Helix Floor and FM3 at the same time, I could dial some of the models on each of them to sound very close to whichever I picked as the reference.

The only outliers for me were the QC Soldano SLO and Klon models. The SLO just sounded bad no matter what. I think they have updated that since but not sure how it sounds now. The NeuralDSP SLO plugin sounds great to me.

The QC Klon model had way too much gain and something wrong with its sound compared to the Minotaur model on Helix. I've compared the Minotaur to the Klon side of the Keeley D&M Drive and it could be dialed to sound near identical so I'm confident in the Helix model's accuracy. Fractal's Klon (which was not available at the time) sounds more similar to the Helix too.

For me the amp modeling wasn't a big reason to pick one of these boxes over the others. They all had the things they did better than the others. Helix and FM3 were just plain better for effects which came as a surprise to me. In every case the QC was at best on par and at worst nowhere near as good sounding. It sounds fine, but could be better.

As for fanboys, they're everywhere regardless of the company. Facebook probably has the worst of them. I'm sure we will have Tonex Stans in no time.

The only outliers for me were the QC Soldano SLO and Klon models. The SLO just sounded bad no matter what. I think they have updated that since but not sure how it sounds now. The NeuralDSP SLO plugin sounds great to me.

Yeah, that one is a shocker. NDSP's SLO 100 plugin is one of the best SLO models i've tried... and the QC is, by far, one of the worst. I'd love to know how the hell that could ever happen to begin with.

Just ran into this TGP gem :chef

Screenshot from 2023-03-02 17-49-08.png

Yeah, I saw that post in the user group and he’s not exaggerating a single bit. It looked like this-

Angry Tantrum GIF by The X Factor

Steven Starlucci got a similar treatment, but he posted his vid in their on his own. What was funny is people kept telling Jon he shouldn’t be spamming his anti-QC vids in a QC group, but it was one of the meltdown kids who did it.

Yeah, I saw that post in the user group and he’s not exaggerating a single bit. It looked like this-

Angry Tantrum GIF by The X Factor

Steven Starlucci got a similar treatment, but he posted his vid in their on his own. What was funny is people kept telling Jon he shouldn’t be spamming his anti-QC vids in a QC group, but it was one of the meltdown kids who did it.
I wouldn't even call it anti QC. Just stating why he got rid of it and how he would still recommend it to people depending on what they need

Back