The "Going To An Audition" Thread

Waiting GIF

Happy Friday! :love

I am one of those leery, superstitious fucks who is not always eager to talk about
possibilities until the quantum field collapses the possible into the actual. :idk

Is that weird or crazy?? :crazy

I'll break my own rule. What the heck, right?

But yeah, it was pretty fucking cool. "Dave" owns a sizable warehouse about 30 miles from
me, where he operates an Residential and Commercial HVAC business. You can pull inside
with your vehicle to unload. Once inside he has a section partitioned off with new walls, and
is in the process of turning it into a studio. He's like, "Blah, bah blah analog tape and have a
console once it is all finished, and I bring all my gear in here."

Says he is going to do a big live room for tracking and then have a control room. Shows me where
walls will be and how he is going to do the glass. In the meantime, he has dual EV 18" subs with EV tops,
because the place is HUGE. That's the rehearsal setup. WTF? Says he is "Old School" and loves to "feel it"
when he plays. Mmmm.... ok. :love

Then as the rest of the guys arrive, and I am done setting up, we start messing around and the motherfucker
(who looks a bit like a clean shaven Jack Black and is funny as fuck!) proceeds to sing some Journey and Zeppelin. :brick

I have not heard a dude hit notes like that (with power and pitch) in any band I have ever been a part
of. And he is in his 50s. :facepalm

By this point my panties are moist. :LOL:

I took the Mesa TA-30 with a vertical 2x12 and ran a Fractal FM3 into the FX Return of the TA-30 and
it sounded righteous. I was worried about the TA-30 farting out, but it held tight. I didn't want to use his
Dual Rec and come off like a freeloader on an "audition," even though he offered. Felt like showing up
with my own gear was the adult decision to make. Also passed on the 420 friendly environment, because
I wanted to take it seriously, and had about 15 songs I had to try and remember from their list.

They seemed to like me, said they thought I "fit right in," and that I should continue to work on their list
on my own time (the standared first 40 tunes or so), but that they have a couple of other guys they
are committed to also audition. I get it. That's part of the deal.

Hoping I hear back now. :LOL:

I was all casual before, and now I kind of want it. He's a really cool dude and would be a great guy to get to know
going forward---especially with the studio build and the crazy pipes! :banana

:headbang

Owning his business like he does shows he is disciplined and successful in his life. But also knows how to
have fun. I can relate. :beer

Happy Friday! :love

I am one of those leery, superstitious f***s who is not always eager to talk about
possibilities until the quantum field collapses the possible into the actual. :idk

Is that weird or crazy?? :crazy
It's not. I am very similar in this regard. "Don't jinx that sh!t!" :rofl Sounds like a great situation and fingers crossed it works out. When you hear someone actually SING vs. someone that was just better than everyone else in the room so they got that role forced upon them; it's something special.

The one potential sliver is a generational one. Rhythm guitarist and bassist are in their 30s and the
other guys are in their 50s. So there was a bit of a generational tension in relation to the music and
preferences. Other guitarist had a Blink 182 tattoo on his forearm. I joked with him about being a
liking the Pop Punk stuff of the early 2000s, and said, "Are you a Blink 182'er" and then he shows
me his tattoo.

Guess that answered the question. :popcorn

He was also using a Metal Zone into a Crate Powerblock. :wat

Not judging, Just saying. :LOL:

He should have been using the Dual Rec and Mesa OS 4 x 12.

Wow, that sounds pretty awesome, and since you wouldn't be the only 50's dude - I don't think you need to worry. It appears you'd outnumber the 30's segment, so yall'd be able to keep 'em reigned in.

I'm so happy to hear that it was a blast for you and I will be pulling for you! I don't see anyone else coming in and blowing them away like I know you did!

The one potential sliver is a generational one. Rhythm guitarist and bassist are in their 30s and the
other guys are in their 50s. So there was a bit of a generational tension in relation to the music and
preferences. Other guitarist had a Blink 182 tattoo on his forearm. I joked with him about being a
liking the Pop Punk stuff of the early 2000s, and said, "Are you a Blink 182'er" and then he shows
me his tattoo.

Guess that answered the question. :popcorn

He was also using a Metal Zone into a Crate Powerblock. :wat

Not judging, Just saying. :LOL:

He should have been using the Dual Rec and Mesa OS 4 x 12.

As someone else in their 30s, who originally picked up guitar as a wee boy because I wanted to play blink 182 and linkin park....

no excuse for metalzone into a powerblock :poop:

Hopefully he can gain some sage wisdom from you older fellas

you gonna learn GIF by Bounce

It's not. I am very similar in this regard. "Don't jinx that sh!t!" :rofl Sounds like a great situation and fingers crossed it works out. When you hear someone actually SING vs. someone that was just better than everyone else in the room so they got that role forced upon them; it's something special.

He's like a short-ish, rotund dude.... and then he opens his mouth. :chef

Between the name, the Dual Rec, and then hearing him sing and what his
plans are, and the space he has, my low expectations and easy come easy go
attitude has led me to ....

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

:LOL:

As someone else in their 30s, who originally picked up guitar as a wee boy because I wanted to play blink 182 and linkin park....

no excuse for metalzone into a powerblock :poop:

Hopefully he can gain some sage wisdom from you older fellas

you gonna learn GIF by Bounce

Haha! He did say, "Man, why does everyone give the Metal Zone so much shit?"

One guess, Buddy. One guess! :unsure:

He was using a 4 x 12.... so it didn't sound that bad. To me. :idk

Back