The "Going To An Audition" Thread

You know, that's a great question. I remember asking Todd (RIP) about that, but I can't remember what he said.

If played as 6, you have to repeat one note on each beat. If you skip that note, it gives you a better chance of keeping up and sticking the final notes. But either way, the damn thing goes by so freaking fast, as long as you get the "gist" of it, and it's somewhat articulate, you know the audience would be yelling when you finished!

Edit: Uncle Ben Eller is one who's lessons I fully trust, and I just checked out his, and he does do the 6's, w/ the doubled note.

Thanks, Tom. Have some work to do. Appreciate it. I have always wanted to get closing to nailing that
those solos. :beer

Thanks, Tom. Have some work to do. Appreciate it. I have always wanted to get closing to nailing that
those solos. :beer
Have at it!! That's one song that's definitely out of my reach. Neither of my hands can move that fast, even if it was just pull-offs & hammer-ons for that last run. Fucking sextuplets @ 144 bpm is INSANE! 864 notes per minute Nah. I *might* be able to get it if I play it as 5's though. Jake was such a monster player on those songs! And so much fun to see live.

I still use it for practice though, and the 16th note run-up part, I have improved quite a bit on that. I remember us discussing that a while back, and I could only play it at about 70%.

Have at it!! That's one song that's definitely out of my reach. Neither of my hands can move that fast, even if it was just pull-offs & hammer-ons for that last run. Fucking sextuplets @ 144 bpm is INSANE! 864 notes per minute Nah. I *might* be able to get it if I play it as 5's though. Jake was such a monster player on those songs! And so much fun to see live.

I still use it for practice though, and the 16th note run-up part, I have improved quite a bit on that. I remember us discussing that a while back, and I could only play it at about 70%.

It'll sound like this.

Falls Down Dean Winters GIF by Mayhem

:LOL:

I am working on it, though. May have to get the Drummer to turn it into a down tempo ballad. :banana

Well, that's how a band is supposed to be. Dang! Almost forgot what hitting on all cylinders felt like. :LOL:

Chuck's a lock. He's more self-aware about how high-energy he is than when we last played together
about 15 years ago. He's a fucking Encyclopedia of Songs, too. Even Keith, the other guitar player, was
like, "I was trying to stump him last night. Couldn't do it."

Even some new material we are doing that he had not heard, he listens once and nails 90% of the
structure of the song. What a Pro! :chef

Down South Dave showed, too, with his wife. That is a good sign that he brought the Mrs. We may have
needed her approval that we were not crushing and snorting pills and throwing the Benjamins at the sweet,
little Lady swinging around the Pole. :LOL:

I did find that with a newly empowered rhythm section I am going to need some more juice in my rig. It
was a good loud last night. My single 1 x 12 "FRFR" with the Fractal is not going to get it down. May go
back to a Tube Amp and 2 x 12 Cab, and run the Fractal in the FX Return of the amp.

Feel like it took all of 2023 with a variety of moving pieces and failed attempts to get where we are now.
Pretty cool. Now just need to enjoy it for however long it lasts. :banana

Well, that's how a band is supposed to be. Dang! Almost forgot what hitting on all cylinders felt like. :LOL:

Chuck's a lock. He's more self-aware about how high-energy he is than when we last played together
about 15 years ago. He's a fucking Encyclopedia of Songs, too. Even Keith, the other guitar player, was
like, "I was trying to stump him last night. Couldn't do it."

Even some new material we are doing that he had not heard, he listens once and nails 90% of the
structure of the song. What a Pro! :chef

Down South Dave showed, too, with his wife. That is a good sign that he brought the Mrs. We may have
needed her approval that we were not crushing and snorting pills and throwing the Benjamins at the sweet,
little Lady swinging around the Pole. :LOL:

I did find that with a newly empowered rhythm section I am going to need some more juice in my rig. It
was a good loud last night. My single 1 x 12 "FRFR" with the Fractal is not going to get it down. May go
back to a Tube Amp and 2 x 12 Cab, and run the Fractal in the FX Return of the amp.

Feel like it took all of 2023 with a variety of moving pieces and failed attempts to get where we are now.
Pretty cool. Now just need to enjoy it for however long it lasts. :banana
That is awesome! Are you doing the singing or are you guys splitting it up or not quite at that point?

That is awesome! Are you doing the singing or are you guys splitting it up or not quite at that point?

Didn't see this before. :idk

This group has had a dedicated singer for some time now. So I get to be lazy and pipe in
some harmonies now and then.

I don't always love his voice or approach, but he shows up religiously, and is passionate about it, and
most days that seems like more than enough. :beer

Band is committed to a dedicated song-writing sesh tonight for practice. This is an HUGE achievement
I have personally been pushing for (often uphill like Sisyphus! :lol) a loooooooooong time now.

$1 in a jar for every cover riff, lick, chord progression, or noodle played. :LOL:

Then we use the cash for a cool BBQ/Cookout next Summer. :chef

That's awesome. I wish I could talk our group into that but the individual styles and tastes are so different I think the jam room would explode before we got anything done :oops::ROFLMAO:

Fuck! That can always happen at any moment! :LOL:

Just because we want to doesn't mean we will. :idk

Weirdest audition ever. Cover songs only gig. Only one I remember learning for the tryout was Everyone Wants to Rule the World - hey, it was the 90s plus it's a pretty cool solo.

Was at the girl singer's home and within 10 minutes two things became so apparent I knew it was a no go. And none of the usual stuff.
1. It was obvious beyond doubt that the singer and keyboard dude were doing the nasty.
2. The chick's husband (not in the band) in the next room was none to happy about anything going down. Kept yelling at his wife soliciting protective glances from the keys guy.
Couldn't get out of that place any faster. They did end up calling to offer the gig. :rofl

Last edited:
That's awesome. I wish I could talk our group into that but the individual styles and tastes are so different I think the jam room would explode before we got anything done :oops::ROFLMAO:
That's the best way to be writing together, imo! That way, you may come up with something truly unique.

Weirdest audition ever. Cover songs only gig. Only one I remember learning for the tryout was Everyone Wants to Rule the World - hey, it was the 90s plus it's a pretty cool solo.

Was at the girl singer's home and within 10 minutes two things became so apparent I knew it was a no go. And none of the usual stuff.
1. It was obvious beyond doubt that the singer and keyboard dude were doing the nasty.
2. The chick's husband (not in the band) in the next room was none to happy about anything going down. Kept yelling at his wife soliciting protective glances from the keys guy.
Couldn't get out of that place any faster. They did end up calling to offer the gig. :rofl
Smart decision! :rollsafe

$1 in a jar for every cover riff, lick, chord progression, or noodle played. :LOL:

Read an interview with Jon Anderson right after Going for the One was released and he was asked how the diplomacy worked between Howe, Squire, and Wakeman when it came to them deciding on riffs for the long instrumental sections of songs.

He said he just sat over in the corner painting until it seemed like someone was about to throw an ashtray, then he'd chime in with a compromise and things would get back to business. :rofl

I know, TS. Can barely look at myself in the mirror these days. :LOL:

I addeed a 2nd 12" "FRFR" (running 2 different ones now) and it was
a big boost. I am going back to tube power, though. FRFRs have
this high-frequency content that is not as smooth as with tubes
and guitar speakers, to my ears. Yeah, I can Hi Cut it, but it is not
the same. Once tweeters are introduced into the mix all bets are off. :idk

So last night's mandated songwriting sesh was an epic ....

Comedy Central Sport GIF by Alternatino with Arturo Castro

:LOL:

A couple of us have attention issues, compounded with self-inflicted
obstacles always finding their way into the path.

It doesn't need to be hard. Intentional application of effort in a single
direction is all it takes. Is that too much to ask?

Once again, it was.

:brick

Gonna keep grinding and pushing, though.

Taking the Edwards tonight and going to try Justin Derrico's Gift of Tone Presets.

Shiva is a little thick for my tastes with an LP and in a 2 guitar band. So we will see
how this translates. Probably end up back on a JCM800 like I always do. :LOL:

Welp, we may have committed to a couple of Festival Gigs this Spring/Summer. :idk

The originals and writing thing lasted all of an hour. :LOL: Going to have to tread that path
on my own. No worries. If nothing else, I have learned to be flexible and adapt, and at my
age ANY opportunity to play with my pals is a fucking blessing I shall not take lightly. :beer

Just with the new guys in the band, and the old guys being stoked about it, we accepted
a couple of long-standing offers to get back out there.

Back