The Gear Forum designs a next-gen digital modeler!

Okay, here's a potential rabbit hole question: What's the ideal number of switches for a flagship processor?

If you could get 10 switches (8 stomp/snap/pre plus mode and tap tempo/tuner) into the size of the HX Effects, that would be ideal. You wouldn't need to expand to use everything but it could still be relatively compact enough to put onto a desk. And keep expression pedals separate, not integrated. Most likely you'd have to get rid of scribble strips (like the QC did), but I think it would be more useful.

I do really like knobs, so would still want the six control knobs like the Helix has. I'd be okay with a screen that's a little less tall but more wide, and then you could change to a performance view (kind of like the Helix LT). And ideally you're eliminating some of the buttons with a quality touch screen.

So I guess it's a lot like the QC, but with some control knobs under the screen instead of integrated into the switches, and keeping the cool cap touch switches of the Helix family.

Also, I want integrated bluetooth that works really well with a tablet, so I could program it with an app. Then I could keep the device on the floor and table on the desk.

I would love to see a digital modeler work as a USB MIDI host!

That would be a great feature to have with all the excellent USB MIDI controllers out there
That would be neat! Btw, I don't know if you've noticed but the new Morningstar MC6 Pro has a second USB port that allows the Morningstar to act as a MIDI host. Might be something that could be of interest.

Not I think in the way he envisaged. imo tablet ≠ knobs. We want tactility.

I think I could use my Behringer BCR2000 as well, but I only tried via MIDI as I haven't gotten any proper USB adapters.
However, I can't see why it wouldn't work as it's no problem using a tablet.

That would be neat! Btw, I don't know if you've noticed but the new Morningstar MC6 Pro has a second USB port that allows the Morningstar to act as a MIDI host. Might be something that could be of interest.

That’s really cool! Guess I have yet another reason to pick one up

I think I could use my Behringer BCR2000 as well, but I only tried via MIDI as I haven't gotten any proper USB adapters.

In that use case I believe your tablet is acting as the MIDI host. But if you were to do something like plug an Arturia Beatstep directly into your Helix with a USB cable I don’t believe the Helix will recognize MIDI messages from it. You would need something else to act as the MIDI host, receive the message from the Beatstep and send it to the Helix

In that use case I believe your tablet is acting as the MIDI host. But if you were to do something like plug an Arturia Beatstep directly into your Helix with a USB cable I don’t believe the Helix will recognize MIDI messages from it. You would need something else to act as the MIDI host, receive the message from the Beatstep and send it to the Helix

I think you're mixing up USB and MIDI hosting in a way.

There are a lot of portable controllers like Novation’s Launch Control that only do MIDI over USB and are USB powered. That requires a USB Host. The other thing is I believe a Host is required for 2-way communication. Can things be worked around today, yes, but I thought this thread was meant to be forward looking. And MIDI over Bluetooth would be nice too. A pox on all wires :(

There are a lot of portable controllers like Novation’s Launch Control that only do MIDI over USB and are USB powered. That requires a USB Host.

I know. But they don't have to be MIDI hosts for that.
Otherwise, I agree - and I'd even take this further. I think, something such as the Helix needs to be a USB host, too. Connect a USB stick and transfer patches, backups and IRs with ease. The KPA and the Headrushs can do that, pretty neat.

No, the Helix is not a MIDI host.

And it doesn't need to be. It only needs to receive MIDI. Which it does, both via oldfashioned DIN plugs and USB-MIDI.

Try plugging something like a KMI Softstep or an ovation Launchpad directly into your Helix via USB and see what happens.

That wouldn't work because they require USB bus power. In case you power them through whatever trickery, it'd likely work.

I know. But they don't have to be MIDI hosts for that.
Otherwise, I agree - and I'd even take this further. I think, something such as the Helix needs to be a USB host, too. Connect a USB stick and transfer patches, backups and IRs with ease. The KPA and the Headrushs can do that, pretty neat.
I believe, and correct me if I’m wrong, to supply power they have to be USB Hosts. And yes the backup/restore feature would be great.

Edit - Confusion on my part. Somehow I thought we were talking about USB Hosts. My bad.

Hopefully the successor to Helix will be able to act as a USB host.

Yeah, that'd make quite some things easier.
Fwiw, I was just running into a situation where that would've been super useful. Got a gig in Mumbai next week, could've ordered a Helix Floor from a rental service, but as I don't own a suitable laptop atm (my 2008 Macbook won't run HX Edit) and as I have no idea which FW would be running on the thing, I rather decided to bring my Stomp and some pedals, quite annoying as I have to grab them from my pedalboard and put them in the suitcase.
Kemper users are already doing this a lot. Got an overseas gig? Order a KPA from a rental service, bring your USB stick, done.

How would one connect a MIDI controller to (much less receive power from) Helix's USB B port? They don't even make USB B > USB B cables. It's a host port, not a device port, and no amount of firmware updates will change the hardware in Helix.

Or am I missing something?

How would one connect a MIDI controller to (much less receive power from) Helix's USB B port? They don't even make USB B > USB B cables. It's a host port, not a device port, and no amount of firmware updates will change the hardware in Helix.

Or am I missing something?

Apparently.
Samsung Tab A (or Samsung S10) running an app called "MIDI Controller" (pretty cheesy, but working...) -> USB-OTG adapter cable from USB C plug to USB A jack -> standard USB A to B cable running into the Helix. Works.

Besides: You can send MIDI controls from your computer to the Helix via USB, too.

Samsung Tab A (or Samsung S10) running an app called "MIDI Controller" (pretty cheesy, but working...) -> USB-OTG adapter cable from USB C plug to USB A jack -> standard USB A to B cable running into the Helix. Works.

Point is, USB-C can work as a device. USB-B is, by design, unable to - you cannot use it to drive external hosts.

Last edited:
Back