The Gear Forum designs a next-gen digital modeler!

All gear should come in ball-form, especially the heavy sh*t. A half-inch steel casing around the entire unit. Stairs? F*ck it, roll it down. We’re not going to talk about getting it up the stairs, I’m having more fun thinking about rolling a ball-shaped Triple Rec down a flight of stairs so it smashes into walls and can break femurs.
You could shape the blob into whatever form you'd like; ball, flat squish, long fleshy wobbleknob. Imagine stepping on two hairy blobs to activate a pitch block. :rubshands

If I could have a mythical beast, it would be VST(amp sims, FX suites, etc) loadable with MIDI control easily integrated and a tube pre(buffer) and power section in a head format. Obviously a smaller non powered pedal board friendly version would have to come out later after much whining.
Basically Build-a-Bear for VST guitar/bass software

I love that they approached it more from the "desktop unit" side where it makes compromises as a floor unit, unlike everything else on the market. It's easy to replace the footswitches with any MIDI controller, but damn near impossible to make a well working knob replacement setup on any current modeler. Sure, you can for replicate the front panel controls on a Helix, but you can't add to them if you want e.g more context-based controls. QC has the right amount of onboard control.

This is precisely why I'd wish for a "roll your own" approach. Home dwellers rather don't need much footswitches and for live playing a touchscreen (at least one sitting on the floor) isn't really important. So just give me a base unit that I can expand into either direction.

You could shape the blob into whatever form you'd like; ball, flat squish, long fleshy wobbleknob. Imagine stepping on two hairy blobs to activate a pitch block. :rubshands

Horror Films GIF by absurdnoise

This could be for your talk box effect ^^^.

(Livin' On A Prayer never sounded so harrowingly realistic…)

Next gen Axe FX with a form factor closer to the Neural Quad Cortex and UI closer to Helix. Or alternately, a next gen Helix with the same form factor and expanded amps/effects with higher fidelity closer to the Axe FX 3.

I like the Axe FX 3 for the high fidelity, power, and number of amp/effect models. I think they sound the best with the least tweaking. And because they have so many models and can refine them, they don't have to start from scratch like I think Helix would. Obviously the cab section could use a serious overhaul although I'm assuming that's in the works. But that would make life a lot easier and better to dial in tones.

For form factor, I think the Neural QC is the most appealing. It's small enough to fit on a desk and works well in that configuration, but you can move it to the stage without additional hardware. I like touch screen but prefer to use knobs, so I'd want to make sure that's a primary way to dial things in. But be able to use the touch screen to move around pages and the layout quickly.

I also really like how Helix doesn't have generic settings for amps and effects but has the actual ones from the unit. Something like the Space Echo doesn't really work with generic delay blocks. I do also like some of the simpler but effective controls like a Strymon has, adding a tone knob to a delay rather than a full parametric EQ. You can just intuitively use your ears and a knob to get a tone rather than feeling like a programmer.

From the Helix side, I would want to see an overhaul of the amp models for improved fidelity and dynamics, especially around the lows and highs. Never quite get the same low end depth like I want and a pleasant extended top end without harshness. Same thing with effects, they sound great but could be richer. And then they would need to add a lot more models, things like a blackface Bassman or Morgan AC20 on the cleaner side, and EVH 5150 III or Friedman JJ or BE 100 Deluxe on the high gain side, etc. For effects I'd like to see things like the Boss CE-2 Waza, Eventide Harmonizer/Micropitch, some Lexicon delays (or presets for existing blocks), etc.

If I could have a mythical beast, it would be VST(amp sims, FX suites, etc) loadable with MIDI control easily integrated and a tube pre(buffer) and power section in a head format. Obviously a smaller non powered pedal board friendly version would have to come out later after much whining.
Basically Build-a-Bear for VST guitar/bass software

I'd be all for such a thing - in fact, quite way back in the days I was considering either buying a Muse Receptor or building myself a very sturdy rackmount PC.
But for certain reasons, as far as my main live sound central goes, I rather stick with something proprietary, keeping me away from all kinds of experiments possibly bricking the unit.

Fwiw, it actually won't be *too* tough to build something like that yourself. Laptop based setups are rather common for keyboarders already, and while I wouldn't use a laptop for a guitar setup (where to put the thing?), one could get the cheapest Mac Mini, a Motu M2 (or an RME Babyface if you have some more money to spend), an iPad (could basically be any) and whatever MIDI controller to suit your needs. A Mac Mini can be shockmounted pretty much similar to a condenser mic without wasting too much space, and as there's really only one moving part inside anymore (the fan), things are rather safe. The iPad could then be used to remote control everything, from all I know.

All you'd then need is a live host, for most people MainStage should just do the job, for more advanced operations there's Gig Performer.
The cheapest Mac Mini and iPad would work just fine for this, as you don't need much storage space, much RAM or whatever.
The entire system (audio interface, MIDI controller and a decent case included) would set you short not much more than around €2,000, then you'd had to add software to it, but given that MainStage comes with all Logic FX already, you'd likely only need that and a decent amp suite, such as S-Gear or so. Let's say with another 200 you'd be good to go for a start.

Such a setup would be incredibly powerful and it'd also allow you to add things as you need them, rather than waiting for the modeler company to add them. Need a better looper? Get Live (or something similar, could even be had for free). Need profiling? Get Tonex. Want luxurious reverbs? Fire up Space Designer (comes with Mainstage) and load some IRs.
Heck, you could even play MIDI synths without a dedicated pickup, just get Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 3.
Really, that setup would mop the floor with many current modelers.
And having said that, it's in fact an idea I'm keeping in my mind.

Someone posted an AXE FM5 that I thought was pretty cool
4 switches across the bottom with
Bigger strips and maybe Color strips like the helix and one button
Up top MODE / that basically allows you to toggle 2 layouts
Like say presets / scenes or
Scenes / fX hold function you could set to tuner or load another layout. Basically with that one switch you could have 3 layouts

Power would be the FM9 turbo
That I might down size my full FM9 for

Something like this w line6 Color strips ******not mine and not a real product

8358B7C6-16DA-4F2D-88FA-1860B461A526.png

Last edited:
I'd be all for such a thing - in fact, quite way back in the days I was considering either buying a Muse Receptor or building myself a very sturdy rackmount PC.
But for certain reasons, as far as my main live sound central goes, I rather stick with something proprietary, keeping me away from all kinds of experiments possibly bricking the unit.

Fwiw, it actually won't be *too* tough to build something like that yourself. Laptop based setups are rather common for keyboarders already, and while I wouldn't use a laptop for a guitar setup (where to put the thing?), one could get the cheapest Mac Mini, a Motu M2 (or an RME Babyface if you have some more money to spend), an iPad (could basically be any) and whatever MIDI controller to suit your needs. A Mac Mini can be shockmounted pretty much similar to a condenser mic without wasting too much space, and as there's really only one moving part inside anymore (the fan), things are rather safe. The iPad could then be used to remote control everything, from all I know.

All you'd then need is a live host, for most people MainStage should just do the job, for more advanced operations there's Gig Performer.
The cheapest Mac Mini and iPad would work just fine for this, as you don't need much storage space, much RAM or whatever.
The entire system (audio interface, MIDI controller and a decent case included) would set you short not much more than around €2,000, then you'd had to add software to it, but given that MainStage comes with all Logic FX already, you'd likely only need that and a decent amp suite, such as S-Gear or so. Let's say with another 200 you'd be good to go for a start.

Such a setup would be incredibly powerful and it'd also allow you to add things as you need them, rather than waiting for the modeler company to add them. Need a better looper? Get Live (or something similar, could even be had for free). Need profiling? Get Tonex. Want luxurious reverbs? Fire up Space Designer (comes with Mainstage) and load some IRs.
Heck, you could even play MIDI synths without a dedicated pickup, just get Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 3.
Really, that setup would mop the floor with many current modelers.
And having said that, it's in fact an idea I'm keeping in my mind.
I think that setup requires a whopping ton of work from the end user compared to buying a digital modeler with some inconveniences and limitations but a lot of things worked out for you.

A coworker does a one man band thing and his rig is basically the most powerful PC laptop he could get + MIDI keyboard + Focusrite audio interface + mic for vocals + Ableton Live + various VSTs. He said he spent like a year and a half getting it working exactly the way he wanted.

I've kind of seen this with my "mostly Strymon" pedalboard setup and MIDI control. I've been thinking of adding a phone running TouchOSC to it for displaying what the hell it is doing because otherwise it relies a lot on sound alone when most of the pedals don't have indicators for preset they are on, where the knobs point and so on. Another idea is waiting for Strymon's updated Nixie software editor, running that on a Raspberry PI and a small touchscreen.

I think that setup requires a whopping ton of work from the end user compared to buying a digital modeler with some inconveniences and limitations but a lot of things worked out for you.

Sure, it's defenitely nothing like plug'n'play, but it's not that tough anymore either, at least as long as you just want a guitar modeling setup. Especially when using a Mac and MainStage, things are pretty foolproof already. I mean, gazillions of keyboarders are proving it pretty much every day.
Yeah, as a guitar player, you'll have to deal with additional logistics. Keyboarders often get away with just the laptop and a USB cable (the internal interface is fine for live demands) whereas as a guitar player you'd need a dedicated interface. Same goes for switching. As a keyboarder, things are usually built into your keyboard anyway, but guitarists need an additional MIDI controller.
Still no rocket science, at least not as long as all you need is some patches and an option to switch between them (which, btw, can largely happen seamlessly in case you don't go all mad).

Next gen Axe FX with a form factor closer to the Neural Quad Cortex and UI closer to Helix. Or alternately, a next gen Helix with the same form factor and expanded amps/effects with higher fidelity closer to the Axe FX 3.

I like the Axe FX 3 for the high fidelity, power, and number of amp/effect models. I think they sound the best with the least tweaking. And because they have so many models and can refine them, they don't have to start from scratch like I think Helix would. Obviously the cab section could use a serious overhaul although I'm assuming that's in the works. But that would make life a lot easier and better to dial in tones.

For form factor, I think the Neural QC is the most appealing. It's small enough to fit on a desk and works well in that configuration, but you can move it to the stage without additional hardware. I like touch screen but prefer to use knobs, so I'd want to make sure that's a primary way to dial things in. But be able to use the touch screen to move around pages and the layout quickly.

I also really like how Helix doesn't have generic settings for amps and effects but has the actual ones from the unit. Something like the Space Echo doesn't really work with generic delay blocks. I do also like some of the simpler but effective controls like a Strymon has, adding a tone knob to a delay rather than a full parametric EQ. You can just intuitively use your ears and a knob to get a tone rather than feeling like a programmer.

From the Helix side, I would want to see an overhaul of the amp models for improved fidelity and dynamics, especially around the lows and highs. Never quite get the same low end depth like I want and a pleasant extended top end without harshness. Same thing with effects, they sound great but could be richer. And then they would need to add a lot more models, things like a blackface Bassman or Morgan AC20 on the cleaner side, and EVH 5150 III or Friedman JJ or BE 100 Deluxe on the high gain side, etc. For effects I'd like to see things like the Boss CE-2 Waza, Eventide Harmonizer/Micropitch, some Lexicon delays (or presets for existing blocks), etc.
I agree 100%. I went from an FM3 to and FM9 and the size took it off my desktop. I liked having the FM3 on the desktop but I love the added functionality of the FM9. The QC is the perfect form factor for me, I just would rather support Cliff and Fractal considering his track record of support vs some of the nickel & dime BS I’ve seen from Neural.

As for Helix, the amp models are good for low gain stuff, but they’re on par with the first gen Axe FX standard IMO for higher gain sounds. They just sound plastic and require a lot of finesse in the upper EQ to get them to sound natural, even with good IRs. That and going from Helix effects to Fractal effects it feels like a pillow is taken off the speaker. The Fractal effects are as good as Eventide and Strymon, arguably better depending on application, and they have superior amp models as well IMO.

As a plus for Line 6, I think the HX stomp is a fantastic little unit and I own an HX Effects that I still use because it has good effects and can switch amp channels. Their support model is great too and they have made consistent updates adding new features. I just wish they were a step up in their overall sound quality.

Not smart or capable enough to offer anything. Just glad there are people out there who are. :beer

Fwiw, apart from several other things (that I may perhaps continue with later on...), regarding software and usability, one thing is immensely putting me off with pretty much each and every modeler out there: You can always only edit one "block" (or whatever it's called on whatever modeler) at a time (obviously, you also only have visual control over just one block). This is very different in the analog world - and it's making a fundamental difference when dialing in quite some sounds.

As everybody will know, a whole lot of famous sounds aren't made of just one element. And I'm not even talking about cabs, mics and effects yet, just the basic core tones. Very often at least two devices are used, most notably a drive/boost of some sorts running into an amp.
Needless to say, these two are deeply interactive. And in the analog world you can adjust them almost simultaneously, even more so in case your AITB and drive pedals are on the same pedalboard. This makes editing a breeze, especially when taking advance of the interaction (boost amp and turn amp volume down in return, add gain via pedal and dial down amp gain in return, etc.). Some modelers make it a little easier to get there (Helix Floor is doing a nice job once you assigned you drive pedals to switches), some are downright horrible (HX Stomp for instance, as most relevant parameters are hidden on page 2).
Fwiw, the same goes for delay/verb combinations. You usually want to edit them as a combination rather than as two seperate FX.
Having more parameters of more than just one block, expecially interactive ones exposed simultaneously would make patch editing *incredibly* more efficient.
Could easily be done in case you'd have a) more knobs and b) if those were easily customizable.

Back