The exact gigging product I want does not exist.

I treat it all as one amplification source for both items. The Boogie gets post FX and IRs for speaker emulation so I can use these same speakers for the GR55 sounds. The GR55 sounds get routed through the Boogie power amp into these same speakers when the synth is engaged with speaker emulation off. A guitar synth through a pair or quad of el34s is actually :chef :bag:love
What I'd do is get a 2x12 with a baffle between speakers and isolated inputs.

Load one side with a high powered guitar speaker like a 150w Redback. That will handle your head. The other side gets a flat speaker for your synth (use a pedal sized power amp to power it).

Then run DIs to the FOH. One with speaker emulation (which your amp already has) and regular clean DI to the synth.

This would work. I know you will find a problem with it. :rofl

But it would work.

Load one side with a high powered guitar speaker like a 150w Redback. That will handle your head. The other side gets a flat speaker for your synth (use a pedal sized power amp to power it).

Then run DIs to the FOH. One with speaker emulation (which your amp already has) and regular clean DI to the synth.

But it would work.

With a SM57 …

mad max tech GIF

But it would work.
This would work. One hiccup might be the difference between the sound I am dialing in for the stage amp and the one coming out the DI to FOH. But doable. I'd just keep one of the F12s in one of my 112 cabs for synths and then put whatever speaker I like in the 112 that the Boogie feeds.

The dealbreaker here would be controlling it all. If I reversed my control methodology (expression pedal down engages the trumpets in a specific way in the signal chain and that would have to be flipped 180 degrees basically). The expression pedal I tore off the GR to put dirt pedals in place of would have to get reattached :wat:rofl

It's doable though. Might actually be even better as it would bring a real guitar speaker back to the table vs emulations. I'd need a second channel on the board but that's not too drastic considering how much ridiculous idiocy is involved in my rig as is :whistle
It's the trumpets!

bear playing GIF
Always the mf'ing trumpets :mad:
We all know better. It

a) won't work as hoped for
b) will create more problems than it solves
c) get sent back
d) all of the above

I kid. :LOL:

Hope it is the answer, JT! :beer
Never any answers. Only questions :cry:

This would work. One hiccup might be the difference between the sound I am dialing in for the stage amp and the one coming out the DI to FOH.
nah, there isn't a scenario where the sound to the FOH is not different than the sound coming out of the amp. Even with a simple cab/mic set up that is always the case.

Just use an IR of the same speaker you have on the actual cab and your FOH guy can easily work out the differences.
The dealbreaker here would be controlling it all.
What do you need in terms of control? An ABY box should allow you to switch between cab, synth or both. Some are relay controlled if you want to do MIDI. Look at Radial ABY. They're a bit expensive because they're worth it. You really need quality gear when running multiple paths. If all you need in terms of expression for the synth is volume, a simple volume pedal will do.

Without breaking any NDAs here, I worked as part of a team that set up a rig like that for an industrial artist who will remain unnamed. His 4x12s were 1/2 guitar cabs and 1/2 FR cabs for synths. As long as you isolate each signal path completely this works just fine and sounds great.

I need to engage the synths without using any knobs on my guitar. I like the expression pedal method I've cultivated over the last 5+ years? I would have to set it to control synth volume inversely to guitar pickup volume. So when the synth volume rises, the magnetic pickup volume of the guitar goes down. I never use guitar tones and synth tones simultaneously. It's either one or the other.

I need to engage the synths without using any knobs on my guitar. I like the expression pedal method I've cultivated over the last 5+ years? I would have to set it to control synth volume inversely to guitar pickup volume. So when the synth volume rises, the magnetic pickup volume of the guitar goes down. I never use guitar tones and synth tones simultaneously. It's either one or the other.
Does it need to be the guitar pickup volume? as in roll back guitar volume for cleans? Or just an overall volume for the guitar sound?

What are you using in your amp's loop for effects?

Does it need to be the guitar pickup volume? as in roll back guitar volume for cleans? Or just an overall volume for the guitar sound?

What are you using in your amp's loop for effects?
I roll back my volume with the guitar knob as needed. This would control the guitar out signal coming from the GR55. You can control it using the onboard expression or via MIDI. Synth tones are the same (onboard exp or MIDI).

HX Stomp for effects. If I did this; I would absolutely go back to using Boss something or other as I prefer the effects.

I roll back my volume with the guitar knob as needed. This would control the guitar out signal coming from the GR55. You can control it using the onboard expression or via MIDI. Synth tones are the same (onboard exp or MIDI).

HX Stomp for effects. If I did this; I would absolutely go back to using Boss something or other as I prefer the effects.
Ok, so that's even simpler. I'd just use an Ernie Ball 6165 Pan pedal then and split to the amp and synth from there. Toe down is guitar/toe up is synth or any combination in between. You don't have to use the guitar out of the GR55. Split before it and keep each chain separate.

Put an ISO transformer on the Synth side.

I understand the synth guitar horns as part of the mix. But why would you want the horns through the guitar speaker cabinet?

Wouldn't they be better direct to FOH???

giphy.gif

Back