The Coffee Thread

Been a while since I posted. Been enjoying these two:

4814E8ED-D099-4005-A0C3-E8278AC8B4B8.jpeg

21C35838-D2AF-4BB9-AB71-8C46F5FB2775.jpeg

The Gesha is absolute fire!

What are all you nerds using for water? Currently using distilled/Third Wave and have been pretty happy with the results. Just thinking of trying something different.

Last edited:
What are all you nerds using for water? Currently using distilled/Third Wave and have been pretty happy with the results. Just thinking of trying something different.

View attachment 20288

Our tap water comes straight from the alps and is filtered. Bottled water from supermarkets is weird, at least over here - unless it's sparkling, of course.

PS: That alpine tap water is also used to flush the John. Yes. Luxury crappers.

Our tap water comes straight from the alps and is filtered. Bottled water from supermarkets is weird, at least over here - unless it's sparkling, of course.

PS: That alpine tap water is also used to flush the John. Yes. Luxury crappers.
My tap water comes from the river and is full of chlorine and only God knows what. I tried bottled spring and “drinking” water, but the hardness made for some very bitter coffee.

Unfortunately using distilled and mixing my own is the only way I can make consistent, and excellent tasting coffee. Nerdy, I know. But when you’re spending the coin that I am on beans, it’s worth it.

The tap water in my area in central Florida is ozonated, which improves taste. The water is chemically treated, but I charcoal filter the water, and let it sit overnight to allow for chlorine evaporation.

Finally picked up a Chemex brewer, the traditional 6 cup. I bought one about 5 years ago but it fell off my counter and shattered literally right after I got it and before I got to even use it once.

Anyways as someone who has used a V60 for nearly a decade, I’m amazed how different the Chemex tastes. The cups are so much cleaner and brighter tasting, more consistent, and easier to identify the flavors. I hated dark coffee before but now I will have to try some again because I’m curious how different it would taste.

Also I found a new local coffee roaster and it is amazing. dogwood coffee. First time I’ve been really impressed with a good local coffee bean. Good variety too.

So now my daily brewing setup and routine is:

Oxo electric kettle at 205F
45g coffee beans
720g water (16:1)
Fellow Ofe gen 2 grinder set to 5
Chemex 6 cup with white filters
Bloom for about 45 seconds with about 100g water
Three more pours up to 720g

I tried distilled and purified water and didn’t notice a difference from filtered tap. I got a whole house filter last year and it’s fine.

I tried distilled and purified water and didn’t notice a difference from filtered tap. I got a whole house filter last year and it’s fine.
You need minerals in your water for a proper extraction. So pure distilled is no-no.

Think of coffee water additives as a studio monitor. When the roasters were dialing in their roasts, they likely used water that followed the SCA water guidelines. So in order to replicate what the roasters taste, you have to be able to get close to the water they used.

That’s where distilled water plus additives like the Third Wave products come in. It’s consistent, totally replicable, and adheres to the SCA water guidelines.

You need minerals in your water for a proper extraction. So pure distilled is no-no.

Think of coffee water additives as a studio monitor. When the roasters were dialing in their roasts, they likely used water that followed the SCA water guidelines. So in order to replicate what the roasters taste, you have to be able to get close to the water they used.

That’s where distilled water plus additives like the Third Wave products come in. It’s consistent, totally replicable, and adheres to the SCA water guidelines.
Good explanation! So you add a bit of third wave water to the filtered stuff?

Good explanation! So you add a bit of third wave water to the filtered stuff?
Nope, you add 1 packet per 1 gallon of distilled water. Shake it up, end you’re good to go. I usually mix it about a day in advance, shaking it occasionally to make sure it’s completely dissolved. They make 5-gallon packets.

I hate to use the term, but it was a game changer for me. With a good grinder, it’s very hard to make a bad cup. My local water comes from a river, so it’s highly treated. Even with a filter, my coffee was bitter and was very difficult to dial in. It would take 3-4 cups before I was satisfied. Now I can dial in a new bag within a cup or two.

Nope, you add 1 packet per 1 gallon of distilled water. Shake it up, end you’re good to go. I usually mix it about a day in advance, shaking it occasionally to make sure it’s completely dissolved. They make 5-gallon packets.

I hate to use the term, but it was a game changer for me. With a good grinder, it’s very hard to make a bad cup. My local water comes from a river, so it’s highly treated. Even with a filter, my coffee was bitter and was very difficult to dial in. It would take 3-4 cups before I was satisfied. Now I can dial in a new bag within a cup or two.

Ordered some to try later this week!

F******g flavoured creamer....

Hipsters...

😉

I am a strictly pour over guy. I just can't do hot water. It over extracts and burns the grinds to
my tastebuds. I am about a 165-185F guy. Anything 190F and above just ends up a bit on the
rancid side when it hits my mouth. :idk

Back