The Annual NAMM predictions rumours thread 2024

Like, hitting that page button and dialing back the level after turning up the gain on an overdrive isn't so much problematic because of the time it takes as just the fact that it has to be done is ugh worthy because . . . lazy son of a bitch?

No, it's not because of laziness, either.
After all, people are going all mad when it comes to authentic sound, input level accuracy and whatever blahblahblah. Which, don't get me wrong, is absolutely fine.
But IMO it's about time to accept that the various usability aspect should as well be a part of a decent and - oh well - "authentic modeling" experience.
And while I am (very obviously) perfectly aware of 3 encoders not being able to represent a drive pedal with 4 knobs, to get the best experience out of that limitation, the parameter order should be based on what most people will adjust the most. And regarding drive pedals, I'd hold any bet that, while there's certainly a lot of tone knob fiddling going on, around 80% of all parameter movements that need to be done quickly will be adjusting gain and level. Same goes for amps. On reverbs it's decay and mix. On delays it'd be feedback and mix. So, for the best "as close to the analog deal as we could take it given hardware boundaries" experience, these should be on the same page.

And fwiw, it's not even about adjusting things. Sometimes I just want to see what's possibly most responsible for a gain and/or volume jump among the devices in my signal chain. Selecting them to get an overview should be sufficient, page flipping is a chore.

I'm sure there's a potato cam somewhere of him letting a drunk guy use their face for a whammy bar that will appease your strict criteria
:rollsafe
It’s funny how you guys get to whine about stuff but have someone else say something that rubs you the wrong way it’s butt hurt central.

Helix would be in that camp but for the Voltage Queen, which is awesome.

Fwiw, that's a hidden gem for sure. Used it in one of my "one amp only kitchen sink presets" for one of the last gigs when I still had the Floor (some kinda funky and lightly jazzy thing), absolutely loved it. Should I rearrange my board's functionality so I could as well use the Stomp's modeling (it's strictly used for del/rev only live), it'll defenitely see quite some use again.

Last edited:
No, it's not because of laziness, either.
After all, people are going all mad when it comes to authentic sound, input level accuracy and whatever blahblahblah. Which, don't get me wrong, is absolutely fine.
But IMO it's about time to accept that the various usability aspect should as well be a part of a decent and - oh well - "authentic modeling" experience.
And while I am (very obviously) perfectly aware of 3 encoders not being able to represent a drive pedal with 4 knobs, to get the best experience out of that limitation, the parameter order should be based on what most people will adjust the most. And regarding drive pedals, I'd hold any bet that, while there's certainly a lot of tone knob fiddling going on, around 80% of all parameter movements that need to be done quickly will be adjusting gain and level. Same goes for amps. On reverbs it's decay and mix. On delays it'd be feedback and mix. So, for the best "as close to the analog deal as we could take it given hardware boundaries" experience, these should be on the same page.

And fwiw, it's not even about adjusting things. Sometimes I just want to see what's possibly most responsible for a gain and/or volume jump among the devices in my signal chain. Selecting them to get an overview should be sufficient, page flipping is a chore.
Nah. Multieffects devices are always going to be a pain to use.

But why make them more of a pain to use than necessary?
I'd much rather a focus on a piece of hardware that can do more at the highest level of digital modeling with minimal latency than slight tweaks to a user interface that still leaves me annoyed. Annoyed is annoyed. There are end extremes that are different, but mostly annoyed is just annoyed so small improvements don't mean much.

But having a single device that acts as my audio interface with two unison-style mic preamps, with fantastic vocal effects. That can send all the MIDI signals you might ever want. That is controllable in all sorts of ways. That's a lot more interesting than just "ooooo, one less button push but its still five too many".

I love the passion of this guy. His AmpX will sound great, for sure. I don't know if the price point and features could compete with the big names, but it's a different concept and... Who knows.

passion? I am starting to wonder if he is adhd

I'd much rather a focus on a piece of hardware that can do more at the highest level of digital modeling with minimal latency than slight tweaks to a user interface that still leaves me annoyed. Annoyed is annoyed. There are end extremes that are different, but mostly annoyed is just annoyed so small improvements don't mean much.

Couldn't disagree more.

But having a single device that acts as my audio interface with two unison-style mic preamps, with fantastic vocal effects. That can send all the MIDI signals you might ever want. That is controllable in all sorts of ways. That's a lot more interesting than just "ooooo, one less button push but its still five too many".

Not even apples and oranges. Maybe apples and fried space ships.

b6phb.jpg

Back