THE AMP SIM PLUGIN THREAD

quick E530 comparison video. If I had to pick, Mercuriall is probably my favourite of these.

Something about the real thing that’s a bit nicer to dial in, I think it’s the way you balance the EQ that feels different when using a mouse.

My default Helix Fireball setting was pretty close to how I dial the 530 in. ENGL savage plugin was a little trickier to get close but it’s definitely in the ballpark.

I have the TSE emulation too but it’s so old I didn’t bother. and IK’s E650 model in theory is close too but….. you know.

EDIT: oh yeah, I demo’d the Nembrini Hardball and was really disappointed. EQ felt weird to what I’m used to with ENGL and the poweramp modelling didn’t seem to be doing much (I could set channel master and the main master to 10 and it sounded fine=🚩)

quick E530 comparison video. If I had to pick, Mercuriall is probably my favourite of these.

Something about the real thing that’s a bit nicer to dial in, I think it’s the way you balance the EQ that feels different when using a mouse.

My default Helix Fireball setting was pretty close to how I dial the 530 in. ENGL savage plugin was a little trickier to get close but it’s definitely in the ballpark.

I have the TSE emulation too but it’s so old I didn’t bother. and IK’s E650 model in theory is close too but….. you know.

EDIT: oh yeah, I demo’d the Nembrini Hardball and was really disappointed. EQ felt weird to what I’m used to with ENGL and the poweramp modelling didn’t seem to be doing much (I could set channel master and the main master to 10 and it sounded fine=🚩)

Yes, the real E530 sounded a little bit more „rich“ to me than the digital emulations. The Mercuriall had a similarly shimmering high end that I heard with the E530 and I am used to when playing my PBII. The others didn‘t sound bad, though!

Love your riffs, man! Sounds a little bit Swedish ;-)

How are we supposed to implement this value in Overloud? Overloud doesn't have input trim.
can run a trim/gain plugin before, or if you play soft/with single coils you could adjust your audio interface to that level. Better to use a plugin in front.

If there is a gain module or EQ or something in TH-U you could also use that as the first input stage

let me see if i get this right,i have the UAD Apollo Twin X,so if use the the Softube Amp Room i need to set the gain to 13.29,but i need to set the gain on my audio interface or i need to set the gain on the Amp Room plugin?sorry for the dummy question

let me see if i get this right,i have the UAD Apollo Twin X,so if use the the Softube Amp Room i need to set the gain to 13.29,but i need to set the gain on my audio interface or i need to set the gain on the Amp Room plugin?sorry for the dummy question
audio interface stays at 0, boost in the plugin or before it with a plugin. I’m not sure all softube models follow 1V=0dBFS, many of the Marshalls do, but they told me 3V=0dBFS so some models may follow this

audio interface stays at 0, boost in the plugin or before it with a plugin. I’m not sure all softube models follow 1V=0dBFS, many of the Marshalls do, but they told me 3V=0dBFS so some models may follow this
ahh ok!!,im going to try it with my Amp Room Marshall presets!!!
what boost plugin do you recommend me to buy?

ahh ok!!,im going to try it with my Amp Room Marshall presets!!!
what boost plugin do you recommend me to buy?
Your DAW will have a free utility type plugin for adjusting level. Softube plugins are also good for having in built gain trims for input and output (the standalone amp sims definitely have the collapsible side panels for gain staging, can’t remember if Amp Room does).

I just saved my default preset to have the correct level compensation for my set up, works great that way.

Your DAW will have a free utility type plugin for adjusting level. Softube plugins are also good for having in built gain trims for input and output (the standalone amp sims definitely have the collapsible side panels for gain staging, can’t remember if Amp Room does).

I just saved my default preset to have the correct level compensation for my set up, works great that way.
ahh cool!!thank you!!!

was on a bit of a Valvestate fix over the weekend and figured I'd try the Audiority 8100 sim again. That amp is really overlooked by emulations (I guess because they're inexpensive and solid state). They're so much more than the Chuck Schuldiner sound - Prong, Rob Zombie, In Flames used them and Meshuggah used the 8200 a ton (kind of similar but uses mosfets instead of jfets and some other tweaks). Obviously other amps from the 90's get more attention but its definitely got its place as far as being responsible for advancing some new genres and sounds.

After discovering the correct input calibration of the plugin, I was able to get it sounding pretty close to the real amp. Definitely captures the vibe and look/experience of the real deal.

Double checking here. I'm using Helix Floor as my interface. Is the input in this case the USB in 1/2 trim under global settings set at 0 db by default?

Then in AmpBox I set the input to 4.1 like this.
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 6.41.32 AM.png

is anyone using the ChowDSP stuff?

Jatin Chowdhury is the brains behind quite a few plugins (inc all of Bogren Digital guitar amp stuff). He shares a ton of knowledge and also some free plugins. The delay and phaser looks pretty powerful for anyone who is able to take advantage of that amount of control (Im far too dumb for that). Some cool other bits that are probably worth checking out. He may even be a cool person to invite to these quarters? @DrewJD82

The paid add on packs for BYOD have some cool sounding amps: https://chowdsp.com/products/byod-add-ons/store.html

Jatin Chowdhury is the brains behind quite a few plugins (inc all of Bogren Digital guitar amp stuff). He shares a ton of knowledge and also some free plugins. The delay and phaser looks pretty powerful for anyone who is able to take advantage of that amount of control (Im far too dumb for that). Some cool other bits that are probably worth checking out. He may even be a cool person to invite to these quarters? @DrewJD82

The paid add on packs for BYOD have some cool sounding amps: https://chowdsp.com/products/byod-add-ons/store.html
the drive plugin looks cool.thank you for sharing!!

I know I tried his Klon pedal some years ago that had circuit modelling and neural network implementation too. I loved that plugin

STL have a Krank Revolution model out. Pretty cool they've done the Krankenstein and Revolution as those amps tend to get overlooked by other modellers and are pretty fun. Kudos to them for finding a bit of a niche with the amps they're modelling; JSX/MT15/Kranks/Laney/Framus

new cabinet IR loader plugin. haven’t tried it yet but a lot of the ideas seem fantastic. Need to look closer+demo but it almost seems like instabuy:

Edit: no mono version, at least for aax. a few little kinks that could do with ironing out. Even just having the search and tags alone I think is going to work like a dream for me, but it seems a bit rough round the edges still. Also the UI is SO busy, I feel like it would be better if it was scaleable

Edit 2: Tried it out. The search side is nearly great, just needs to be able to find multiple words within the same file name. There has to be something seriously wrong with anyone who thinks they need to blend 8 IR’s, each with EXTENSIVE controls for mangling the IR. 4 is overkill, and if you can’t land your tone with 4 then something else is wrong. There’s also an overwhelming amount of information on the screen and I think almost all of it is redundant for most situations. It has some great things going for it, the search aspect POSSIBLY makes it worthwhile but it’s far from perfect for me.

Last edited:
Back