THE AMP SIM PLUGIN THREAD

I feel the numbers for Fuse Audio Labs plugins are very far off. Their pedal plugins always feel undergained to me and required a lot of boost to sound closer to other similar plugins from other manufacturers. Their TubeScreamer in Dozer Drive, for example, is extremely clean if I calibrate to the values presented on the table.
are you sure you’re calibrating them correctly?

I was under gaining the Fuse stuff until I followed their calibration. Here is the quote from Ray when I asked him:

The F-59 is matched at 0 dBFS = +18 dBu just like all our other analog modeled plugins

The pedals are matched at 0 dBFS = +14 dBU

are you sure you’re calibrating them correctly?

I was under gaining the Fuse stuff until I followed their calibration. Here is the quote from Ray when I asked him:
I might have done it wrong, but let's say my interface has the maximum input level of 18 dBu (measured using the protocol given in the first page clip). And here is my test:

[EDITED: Redid the test to make it more accurate, with new audio file uploaded]

I added a gain plugin before the pedal plugin to match the specific levels specified in the first page table. I added another gain plugin after the pedal to equalize loudness to ensure volume consistency between different pedal plugins. Next in line was a cabinet IR (no amp). The plugins under test were Fuse Dozer Drive (Screamer only), Nembrini NA 808, Fuse Big-Sur, NA Big Stuff, Audiority Big Goat. All pedal drive/sustain are set to maximum, level and tone at noon.

Gain values used:
Fuse plugins: +4
Nembrini plugins: +5.8
Audiority plugins: +18.8

Fuse pedals are under gained by quite a margin compared to others, especially with Big Muff Pi emulations. I attach the file where I performed the test below. It's just a chromatic run, each run for each pedal. The order is Fuse Dozer Drive (Screamer only), Nembrini NA 808, Fuse Big-Sur, NA Big Stuff, and Audiority Big Goat.

Last edited:

Always loved these 5150 tones. Rob Arnold and Chimaira wrote some killer riffs, was a cool album that bridged numetal to metalcore

The STL stuff (and Josh’s IR’s) are really decent, think he’s done a good job here. Absolute monster player too

was eyeing up some used JMP-1’s but thought I’d give Nembrini’s JMPro plugin another blast. They did an excellent job, I think it scratches the itch for me enough

I’m still watching through this, but @MirrorProfiles got a nice splash within the first few minutes.

Edit: a few minutes in, you get a proper shoutout under your Ed S alias.

I’m still watching through this, but @MirrorProfiles got a nice splash within the first few minutes.

Edit: a few minutes in, you get a proper shoutout under your Ed S alias.

has a commendable attempt at my surname too.

I think John’s made a mistake though, his interface specs are in dBV rather than dBu so he’s over adjusting. Still, the main thing is the discussion of the topic and I think most people would still land on the right levels if they follow his advice.

has a commendable attempt at my surname too.

I think John’s made a mistake though, his interface specs are in dBV rather than dBu so he’s over adjusting. Still, the main thing is the discussion of the topic and I think most people would still land on the right levels if they follow his advice.
Honestly, whenever JC tries to get technical, it really just feels like he’s repeating forum posts without truly, fully understanding them. I don’t really hold anything against him for that, but I suppose there are some (not saying you) who would really look down upon that.

So lemme get this straight: I'm typically using NDSP plugins, and I have a Focusrite 18i8...
IMG_3999.jpeg

So I should crank the gain knob for that input down as far as it will go and that's about it?

Honestly, whenever JC tries to get technical, it really just feels like he’s repeating forum posts without truly, fully understanding them. I don’t really hold anything against him for that, but I suppose there are some (not saying you) who would really look down upon that.
Yup - he did the same thing when it came to talking about Aliasing

Overloud has a new amp collection "Made in Rock". Marketing sounds like a mixture of liquid profiling and component modeling, but who knows? Briefly tried the Jim P demo. Sounds really great, definitely miles above their usual modeling. I tried the older Marshall models and difference is almost night and day. Have to compare it so Natives 2203 but so far great sounds and not very CPU taxing

Overloud has a new amp collection "Made in Rock". Marketing sounds like a mixture of liquid profiling and component modeling, but who knows? Briefly tried the Jim P demo. Sounds really great, definitely miles above their usual modeling. I tried the older Marshall models and difference is almost night and day. Have to compare it so Natives 2203 but so far great sounds and not very CPU taxing
I’m really hoping it’s more in line with machine learning based capturing with some (potential) algorithmic stuff rather than their reverse engineered kemper modelling. Good to know it sounds good!

Yes, that would be great. I really don't like Overlouds cluttered online shop but IK is far worse. THU is really great for using multiple plugins in one session and I really like their basic effects. Nothing fancy but great sounds, in my opinion better than Two Notes Genome. But we are really spoiled with so many options these days.

I recorded this lil clip a while back using STL Tonality Howard Benson for all the guitar tones and was shocked by how close I got to the original song with minimal tweaking

Now I'm gonna have to try it with my input gain at zero haha; never even crossed my mind to do that

I kind of wonder where they are picking this stuff up from. There's quite a well known music shop on Denmark Street who regularly sells "artist" gear at ambitious pricing.... which would be fine, but supposedly the validity is often questioned. I've no idea where THU get them from, I only wondered because Page and Gallagher's names have both been used by that particular store.

Back