The amp model that most modelers are missing out on

The cool thing about Helix and of course Fractal, even if there isn't a particular model, you can build a good approximation with what's available. I have an old Traynor YGM-3 that I've tried to mimic best I can in HX and it's doable to a point. The YGM has a Baxandall style eq so that makes getting all the nuances difficult though.
I've done this before with some success, but only really with amps I own and can compare against (which is a pretty big caveat). To use a VHT Pitbull as an example, I'd have no idea which amp to start with, nor what would give me the same experience as having the different switches and GEQ etc. Same with a Wizard MTL or MCII or whatever.

It might be possible to get close to a specific sound but you dont really get the experience of dialling the amp in like you would with a proper model

I can't recall if I had a Blues Junior or if it was a Hot Rod Deluxe. Did not like the tone even with a Celestion speaker swapped in.

Would be cool to get a Lab Series L5 for early Ty Tabor, although I'm pretty sure 95% of the tone is his hands and the weird Fender Elite Strat.

The cool thing about Helix and of course Fractal, even if there isn't a particular model, you can build a good approximation with what's available. I have an old Traynor YGM-3 that I've tried to mimic best I can in HX and it's doable to a point. The YGM has a Baxandall style eq so that makes getting all the nuances difficult though.
Maybe try the Mail Order Twin aka Silvertone 1484?

Last edited:
I had a Blues Jr. It was the worst piece of crap I've ever played through. I also had and still have a Pro Jr. That is one of the coolest amps I've ever owned. It's weird because the circuits aren't all that different.

-Aaron

I had a Blues Jr. It was the worst piece of crap I've ever played through. I also had and still have a Pro Jr. That is one of the coolest amps I've ever owned. It's weird because the circuits aren't all that different.

-Aaron
A common observation on the blues jr vs the pro jr, which contradicts the idea that the blues jr sounds boxy because of its size. The pro jr is even smaller and everyone says it sounds better. I think its in the tone stack. I hated mine too. It covered everything from muddy lead blanket over the amp to shrill ice pick upper mids and highs, with no sweet spot.

When I first got back into guitar, I was checking out all the amps. Of the Fender offerings, I thought the Blues Jr was the best sounding. I didn’t know it sucked until I read about it on the forums. I also really liked the Marshall DSL40C which also apparently sucks but it’s the one I turn on every day because it sounds awesome. That’s one I’ll never sell.

I heard that some of you guys hate position 4 on your Strats. 😒
No Idea Idk GIF

Tech21 Classic / GT2 / PSA-1. C'mon guys, those sounds were featured on a shitton of records.

I'm still hoping Helix delivers some day in the future. Their ZeroAmp Bass DI (Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI V1) is pretty great for bass.

Back