Original
Or cover song
We invite you
To play along

So hit the strings
And bang the drums
Let's make some noise
Season 7's begun​

Welcome all to The Gear Forum "Do Something Challenge" Season 7. We had 4 seasons in 2023, and two so far in 2024, so that makes this new one the 7th in our series of challenges to DO SOMETHING musical! And that is what this is all about, to get us to make some music. We can be "Twerkin' On The Gear" for days and years, but making the music is what that gear is for, so let's put the pedal to the metal!

This season, we have a new MC, whom I call me! Others have called me worse, but you are going to have to bite your tongue on those names lest you be subjected to my election interference in tallying the winners ;~() Well, not really, but try to keep it civil when you can! I am honored to be asked to participate as the ring leader for this season and I hope you don't expect too much. Iron1 left a deep footprint to fill, so I will likely drown in the impression he has left on this Challenge with his amazing comic book level introductions each week! I will do my best though to keep this ball rolling and if anybody has any contributions they think could spice things up, feel free to post in the threads or PM me!

This season, we have a few new items to cover. First up is the naming. As alluded to above, this will be "Season 7" rather than "2024 Season 3". We feel that moving forward, the strictly numeric naming convention will age better. So week 1 will be "Season 7.1", week 2 will be "Season 7.2", etc. This season will be 6 weeks long due to some scheduling stuff that could not be avoided. Second topic to cover is the categories. This season we will have 4 of them:

Categories for Season 7 are as follows:​

Original Song - I think you can wrap your head around what that entails (tag = #original-song)

Cover Song - all or part of it - if you are laying the guitar over a backing track, all good - if you want to recreate the song with all parts from scratch do it (tag = #cover-song)

Hot Noodles - you stroking your . . . instrument, yeah, that's it, with no clear direction or purpose other than playing/exploring (tag = #hot-noodle)

Deep Space - off the wall "what the hell is this" category - push the limits of soundscaping - think what you are doing would not fit in the challenge, this is your category - trying to encourage people to step out of the box and swing for the stars (tag = "#deep-space")

Now on the topic of categories, we would like participants to give an assist in administration of the challenge. What this will be is as follows:
1. Only put one entry in any post
2. In any post that has a new offering, put the category tag in that post. The tag for each category is above in the category descriptions. Put this wherever you want in your post, but preferably at the beginning. If you do NOT include the tag (as bold faced above, not your own version - each one starts with a # and has a - in the middle), your song may not get included in the tally as we will be using those tags to easily count the entries from each user.
3. If you upload something that is NOT a new entry (like second version of a previous entry) do NOT put a tag in that new post.
By assisting in this fashion, it will be easier for us to tally the results and spend more of our time competing in the challenge!

There will be a 1st and 2nd place weiner for each category.

As usual, we are not allowing yesterdays news! All entries must be fresh rather than that recording from 2002 that the drummer never completed his track for and other material of days gone by. This does not mean you can not do a song you wrote 20 years ago, or cover a song that is 50 years old, but it must be fresh meat on the bones of such offerings ;~))

Keep in mind, the whole reason behind this challenge is to encourage you to MAKE SOME MUSIC AND SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD. It does not matter how good you think it is, or what value it may or may not have in the marketplace, just a motivator to create and share! Don't want all our music to be replaced with AI? Then get on it and make something with your human mind and body!

So that is all I can think of for now! If you are still with me, congrats on having the patience of a monk!! I know this is not all the funnies you may be accustomed to, but I can't afford to hire Iron1, so this will need to suffice ;~)) Now make some music and post it so you can earn that "TGF Champion" banner on your avatar. PLX will likely have 10 entries by the end of the first day, so get on it! Not trying to dethrone the champ (well maybe I am, but I can already see my personal failure in that endeavor), but we need to at least try to compete with his offerings!

All musicians, report to duty! Ensure that all instruments are in working order and there is sufficient hard drives space for your recordings!! Let's do this shnit!!!
I_Want_You_for_U.S.jpg

Winners are tallied simply by # of entries, is that still right? Per category?
Highest # of entries in each category is the winner for that category. No individual can win more than one category, so if someone has highest number of entries in two or more categories, they can pick which one they want to be the winner of ;~)) Then second place in the other categories will be the winner there and 3rd place in those other categories will be second place. This was started I believe in 2024 Season 2 (aka Season 6) and I think it does a good job of spreading the love! If anyone has other ideas, happy to talk about them ;~))

Takin a break to head out with the doggo for a bit before he ends up in the background of all these mic'd tracks howling at me.

I'm doing a cover of Gilmour's "Between Two Points", got most of the bed tracking done, rough drums.....I hate tracking an acoustic to VST anything, the second you strum a split second out of time it's the most noticable damn thing in the track, or bend one string a pinch out of tune.....need to break before I overanaylze shit.

Screen Shot 2024-09-22 at 1.56.12 PM.png

Just the intro, no EQ or anything, I'm surprised the acoustic even sounds that decent!

And the original (well, it's a cover to begin with)

Takin a break to head out with the doggo for a bit before he ends up in the background of all these mic'd tracks howling at me.

I'm doing a cover of Gilmour's "Between Two Points", got most of the bed tracking done, rough drums.....I hate tracking an acoustic to VST anything, the second you strum a split second out of time it's the most noticable damn thing in the track, or bend one string a pinch out of tune.....need to break before I overanaylze shit.

View attachment 29080

Just the intro, no EQ or anything, I'm surprised the acoustic even sounds that decent!

And the original (well, it's a cover to begin with)

You get the best acoustic tones dude. :chef

I had never heard that song before. #playlist

You get the best acoustic tones dude. :chef

I had never heard that song before. #playlist

The song has been stuck in my head since the album came out, hopefully I don't shit all over it. :rofl

Seems getting a mic pointed straight at the neck/strings is what gives me the best results, if there's the slightest angle to the mic it starts doing the fishbowl sound.

Back