TGF Do Something Challenge 2024 - Season Two - Week One

I guess now that I’m equipped with some more things I have no excuse not to participate

Messing around with the captor some more. This is a continuation of the idea from my previous clip. I suck at *drum loop selection* and I could’ve re-recorded some parts but I’m tired

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iPFgXx ... p=drivesdk

Here’s a version of the previous and new clips smashed together. Used different drum VSTs so it’s a bit jarring and poorly mixed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CYKIiY ... p=drivesdk
"Jarring and poorly mixed" is my middle name.

:cop

I guess now that I’m equipped with some more things I have no excuse not to participate

Messing around with the captor some more. This is a continuation of the idea from my previous clip. I suck at *drum loop selection* and I could’ve re-recorded some parts but I’m tired

Here’s a version of the previous and new clips smashed together. Used different drum VSTs so it’s a bit jarring and poorly mixed

In my humble opinion, I like the mix on the first one better.

8oyv27.jpg

Welcome back to the greatest show on Earth!
Congratulations once again to the Season One Champion @PLX

Additional congratulations go out to the four TGF recording artists who joined the champ on the TGF Greatest Hits (click here) debut album and the accompanying Deep Cuts (and here) release. If you have not listened, liked, shared, subscribed and named your unborn children after the songs on those albums, you are immediately disqualified from all future cool events. Slacker. Just kidding. But please go give 'em a listen.
In order to get more people DOing SOMETHING this season, we have some new twists for you!

As always, the standard rules apply. Click here for Standard Rules. Yes, that means you @LiveeviL2000 (and you too @FuzzyAce )

Just as we have in the past, you may submit in three categories. Original Track, Cover Song or Guitar Solo.

For this season, we will have THREE CHAMPIONS!
  • One "Original Artist Champion"
  • One "Cover Song Champion"
  • One "Guitar Solo Champion"
(snazzy nicknames for these may or may not be on the way... stop interrupting.)

When you post your entry please begin the post by stating which category applies: Original Track, Cover Song or Guitar Solo.

In order to "spread the wealth" so to speak, and ensure we have three champions, one artist can only win one category. For example, even if @Whizzinby goes on a month long Fen-Fen Bender and chases weird naked Indians through the desert with the ghost of Captain Crunch, yielding more original songs, cover songs and guitar solos than all other artists combined, he can only win in one category. Sorry Whizz!

P.s. Fen-Fen is bad. Weird naked Indians are like totally socially inappropriate these days and Captain Crunch is still alive and well, despite that sordid thing between him and the Green M&M in Antigua.

Now, most importantly:

Just kidding.

The three winners, and a select number of runner-up entrants, will have the opportunity to have their work featured on The Gear Forums official Youtube Record Label's second set of Greatest Hits and Deep Cuts releases.

8oyw9w.jpg
And go DO SOMETHING!

P.s. Please remember, your entries must be created during this Challenge Season. As much as we love your Ross Gellar Keytar solo from 1998, it has no place in this challenge.

Limiting each artist to winning only one category ensures fairness and diversity in the recognition of talent.

I dig em both. Good job. What drum loops do you use, they sound nice.

Also: When you post your entry please begin the post by stating which category applies: Original Track, Cover Song or Guitar Solo.

Suggest ya get either a Soundcloud or Audius (prefer Audius personally) account for uploading your tracks, also. Makes it much easier to share your tunes with us (and the world).

I dig em both. Good job. What drum loops do you use, they sound nice.

Also: When you post your entry please begin the post by stating which category applies: Original Track, Cover Song or Guitar Solo.

Suggest ya get either a Soundcloud or Audius (prefer Audius personally) account for uploading your tracks, also. Makes it much easier to share your tunes with us (and the world).

Thanks! I'll check out audius or try and remember my soundlcoud login :LOL:

I used BFD Player, its free and has a pretty impressive library of grooves and samples for being free. The drums on the first half of the second link are from the free version of SSD

#original

There is more I would like to do with this, but for my sanity I'm pulling the cord. It's been a pain in the ass getting a good bass take with the strings flopping like a geriatrics nutz at that tuning, , and I can't really settle on the distorted guitar mix. Needs some fills etc. but demon be gone with this one.

#original

There is more I would like to do with this, but for my sanity I'm pulling the cord. It's been a pain in the ass getting a good bass take with the strings flopping like a geriatrics nutz at that tuning, , and I can't really settle on the distorted guitar mix. Needs some fills etc. but demon be gone with this one.

love it!

"Original Composition"

:farley

That train is almost as long as the song is cool. Almost.

#original

Love it. Good stuff as always Wizz.

-
When I did my entry yesterday, I listened to it on my fancy-pants studio monitors, then listened to it on my iPhone before uploading it to the thread - sounded ok on both. Figured that should run the gamut of sound reproduction quality.

But no.

Just listened to it on my M-Audio work desk "monitors" and the bass just steps all over the guitars... So frustrating...

:somean

When I did my entry yesterday, I listened to it on my fancy-pants studio monitors, then listened to it on my iPhone before uploading it to the thread - sounded ok on both. Figured that should run the gamut of sound reproduction quality.

But no.

Just listened to it on my M-Audio work desk "monitors" and the bass just steps all over the guitars... So frustrating...
I record and mix at my desktop monitors, but I'll throw the wav file onto my phone and play it while I'm driving, or just use earbuds to listen.

That usually gives your ears some "perspective" as to what the final mix sounds like.

:farley

#Original Track

Wrote this late Sunday night and finished up tonight.

Backstory -- Vocals are from an old homeless fellow I met in 2005. He was a character that just had so much energy and life in him. So me, my bro and another bandmate invited him over to record some live music because he was singing and dancing in the street and we wanted to help him in some way. We all ended up drinking and playing for hours. It was a fun night and a good memory, although I'm not sure he's still alive now -- he was in his mid 60's back then. But we ended up getting a lot of his random vocals down.

Anyways, the track above was all played yesterday and today from myself. But it was missing something and I thought of that homeless fellow from way back when. Luckily I had the old files on a hard drive so I grabbed a .wav of just his vocals and pieced them in to fit this song above. It miraculously was in a key that worked, I didn't have to pitch his voice at all. I played the solo guitar last. First and only take just vibe'n with him.

EDIT: for those interested in what gear was used.

•SD3 drums
•mustang bass into Helix Native, SVT preset
•lead guitar was a partscaster into BK tube driver > Pod Express Chime model > DAW
•background wash of wah guitar > Voodoo Lab Wahzoo in step wah mode > Chime > DAW
•organ sounds = I basically took the wah tracks and pitched them up an octave, stretched them and arranged in a way that fit, added rotary and other style effects.
Post EQ, comp, verb, delay, etc. as usual too.

Last edited:
#Original Track

Backstory -- Vocals are from an old homeless fellow I met in 2005. He was a character that just had so much energy and life in him. So me, my bro and another bandmate invited him over to record some live music because he was singing and dancing in the street and we wanted to help him in some way. We all ended up drinking and playing for hours. It was a fun night and a good memory, although I'm not sure he's still alive now -- he was in his mid 60's back then. But we ended up getting a lot of his random vocals down.

Anyways, the track above was all played yesterday and today from myself. But it was missing something and I thought of that homeless fellow from way back when. Luckily I had the old files on a hard drive so I grabbed a .wav of just his vocals and pieced them in to fit this song above. It miraculously was in a key that worked, I didn't have to pitch his voice at all. I played the solo guitar last. First and only take just vibe'n with him.

•SD3 drums
•lead guitar was a partscaster into BK tube driver > Pod Express Chime model > DAW
•background wash of wah guitar > Voodoo Lab Wahzoo in step wah mode > Chime > DAW
•organ sounds = I basically took the wah tracks and pitched them up an octave, stretched them and arranged in a way that fit, added rotary and other style effects.

Organ sound…
Think About It GIF by Identity

#Original Track

•SD3 drums

Fuck yeah this grooves! Great playing and tone, and super cool lore with the vocals. Hella legit :love

Fuck yeah this grooves! Great playing and tone, and super cool lore with the vocals. Hella legit :love
Appreciate it! :love
It's kinda surreal listening and playing along to his voice now, still feels like we're in the same room. His voice just had a certain presence and weight that came through on the mic. Miss that old cat thinking back now.

#Original Track

•SD3 drums

Jeff Goldblum Perfection GIF by AbsoluteRadio

Back