Switching from Windows to Mac

Achilles

Rock Star
I don't use a DAW or play video that requires ridiculous graphics.

Here's the 17" laptop I've been using for the past 6 years:

1724113541692.png

I'm using about 140 Gig on drive C: and another 325 Gig on drive D:

I want to switch to a Mac system where I buy one of their cubes and then add a monitor and keyboard.

Suggestions?

But with which cube?
The best one you can afford. Macs are a bit shit for external display support so the lowest tier model won't do well with some high end displays despite what the specs say, so that might reduce their future compatibility.

I'd look at used or refurbished M2 Max models and see if the price is right.

Also get the memory and disk space you need as those are not upgradeable. Which is also why I don't touch the desktop models and prefer the laptops. At least it's somewhat justified on those.

A Mac Mini should be absolutely fine, no need for anything fancier. Second lowest baseline model /w 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD should be fine.
If you can, get a 16GB RAM model. And don't go for the 256GB SSD models because those will defenitely be too small in the longer run (system fills up and it's recommended to not use much more than 80% on an SSD, plus they gradually lose some capacity).

Over here, you can find the 2023 model with the 16/512 combination for around 800 2nd hand.

Note: For any typical daily life work, even 8GB of RAM will be sufficient. But who knows, maybe one day you would like to do some DAW stuff (which I'd recommend to any musician anyway). Or you'd like to get into video editing a bit more. After all, macOS comes with some things for free (Garageband but also iMovie), making it very easy to check these waters. So I'd tried to find something with 16GB RAM.

Fwiw, these new M-Macs are dealing with RAM *much* more efficiently (or rather "elegantly") than pretty much any other computer, so you possibly don't need much. The baseline Mac Mini has already been outperforming my old but still pretty powerful Mac Pro in all aspects, and we're talking more or less high end demands in terms of DAW work here.

Oh yes, there's some kind of "issues" with Macs and external non-Apple monitors (their onboard GPUs are completely tailored to work with Apple's own Retina displays), but in reality, these are absolute non-issues unless you're completely into graphics, video and possibly gaming. In case you're not, you can just connect any monitor. How do I know? Because apart from spending quite some bucks for the core machines, I'm connecting them to super-average monitors since decades. No issues at all.

I need to upgrade. I'm thinking of getting the cheapest Mac mini for web surfing, and building a PC for music stuff. I agree the Apple rapes you on ram and storage upgrades.

It all depends on your need but just for you to know that i still work on a 2011 iMac (the cheapest one).
Yes it’s more expensive but it’s really worth the price.

I'm thinking of getting the cheapest Mac mini for web surfing, and building a PC for music stuff.

You probably owe it to yourself to consider spending a little more on that Mac Mini (and possibly wait for the M4 models expected this fall by many, simply because the Mac Minis haven't seen a CPU update in a while, so Apple may as well skip the M3 entirely with them).
As said, even the baseline model with 16GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD would give you plenty of ooomph to run a DAW. And even if you have to factor Apples street robbery prices for those updates in, you're still spending way less than for a dedicated PC.
Sure, in case you also want the two to be in different locations, that'd rule the "one size fits all" approach out (you could then consider a Macbook, but those can indeed get quite pricey, so I'm not exactly recommending it, even if it's what I went for).

Whatever, these days, unless you're doing huge productions, there's not much of a need for dedicated DAW computers in case you go for a Mac. A Windows box to even just match the overall performance of these Mac Minis would cost quite some money already.

I don't use a DAW or play video that requires ridiculous graphics.

Here's the 17" laptop I've been using for the past 6 years:

View attachment 26888

I'm using about 140 Gig on drive C: and another 325 Gig on drive D:

I want to switch to a Mac system where I buy one of their cubes and then add a monitor and keyboard.

Suggestions?
Just get the Mac Mini , and 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

1725028835685.png

However, as Sascha said, a new M4 one is around the corner. I've still got the M1 Mini, and it runs everything music-related flawlessly, as well as edits 4K video, RAW images for photography, etc.

EDIT

There's a rumor that the M4 Macs will also be announced at the iPhone event on September 9th. Worth waiting for that. I'm personally going for an M4 mini, so I can give my M1 to my son, since he's heavily into Logic now too.

Last edited:
Back