Switching from Windows to Mac

I won’t disagree with any thing Laxu has said. All I’ll say is that I’ve never had display issues with my apparently simplistic needs, and even if I did, it’s not enough to use Windows.

My desktop PC runs Windows and my work machine is the MBP.

My take on Windows vs Mac is that they are the same crap with different issues. Most software I use is cross-platform or has a viable alternative, so it comes down to each OS's own quirks.

My MacOS top bar is starting to look ridiculous with all the 3rd party apps I have to make it work like I prefer:

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 15.54.45.png

Some are work apps like Docker and Harvest (time tracking), VPN and so on but I'm literally running out of icon space there. When you have too many top bar icons, MacOS just starts dropping icons and you cannot access them in any way without quitting other apps, because apparently Apple never considered that would happen... :facepalm

The latest MacOS Seqoia release is having tons of issues starting from installing it. Apple's updates have become so bad that I avoid installing major OS versions until they have a few xx.x bug fix updates out.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Mac, just to say that it's definitely not all roses and sunshine on their side either.

I find Windows 10/11 to perfectly adequate for anything audio/video or studio related. But you most definitely need two separate systems - one you keep for personal use (web, gaming etc.) and another one strictly for your studio work. I did a lengthy Reaper guitar recording and mixing session with my 6'th gen i7 MSI laptop last year without any problems - it's almost a decade old at this point and still going strong.

One could go as far as completely debloat W11 but I haven't even bothered since there really isn't anything that would interfere with my work.

My desktop PC runs Windows and my work machine is the MBP.

My take on Windows vs Mac is that they are the same crap with different issues. Most software I use is cross-platform or has a viable alternative, so it comes down to each OS's own quirks.

My MacOS top bar is starting to look ridiculous with all the 3rd party apps I have to make it work like I prefer:

View attachment 29200
Some are work apps like Docker and Harvest (time tracking), VPN and so on but I'm literally running out of icon space there. When you have too many top bar icons, MacOS just starts dropping icons and you cannot access them in any way without quitting other apps, because apparently Apple never considered that would happen... :facepalm

The latest MacOS Seqoia release is having tons of issues starting from installing it. Apple's updates have become so bad that I avoid installing major OS versions until they have a few xx.x bug fix updates out.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Mac, just to say that it's definitely not all roses and sunshine on their side either.
I’m not sure I’ve ever encountered a Mac running a current OS version in any studio, educational facility, or professional environment I’ve been in over the last 25 years.

Even in the mid 2000s I remember everyone leaving their machines parked at 10.4.11 for like a decade. Probably because the cracked Waves version stopped working in 10.5 :rofl

To this day I still hang back. Never. Ever. EVER update to the latest on any system running media production work.

For the average person, it’s not a big deal. You’re not the average person. In over ten years of supporting Macs, I’ve never seen anything like your task bar.

If there’s a particular concern I have about Apple, it’s the possibility they eventually abandon their media production Apple wholesale because they see such profitability as a small device company.

When they killed off Aperture many is suspected that was a signal but so far so good. I guess only time will tell.

If there’s a particular concern I have about Apple, it’s the possibility they eventually abandon their media production Apple wholesale because they see such profitability as a small device company.

When they killed off Aperture many is suspected that was a signal but so far so good. I guess only time will tell.
That’s fair. It’s been a concern of mine as well. It’s really not too big of a deal though, as I could easily switch to Windows if I had to, for personal use. Work I’m on Windows 11 anyway.

That’s fair. It’s been a concern of mine as well. It’s really not too big of a deal though, as I could easily switch to Windows if I had to, for personal use. Work I’m on Windows 11 anyway.
At least for now I’m a Logic user, so I’m bound to Apple in that sense. If I had to I’d probably migrate back to pro tools or begrudgingly try Reaper again.

Last edited:
Back