Title Changed to what Humbuckers?

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all gearheads, seeing as I really not gelling with the Tonerider in the bridge position I've been contemplating on and off to swap
Them out and well there have been many contenders, I'm am leaning more towards the Thornbucker and was just wondering if any have had experience with them

Cheers
Mike

I have a Thornbucker and Thornbucker+ in my Suhr Modern. Love the guitar, and the pups are nice, but far from my favorites.

They are quite bright, so they cut through the mix extremely well, and when split offer up some tasty cleans, but I prefer something like a Seymour Duncan JB or Custom with a little more of a mid-focus response.

As for other Suhr pickups, I really like the SSV neck and SSH+ bridge pups in my Strandberg.

My tired old ears know what they like, so you may have a different / better experience with them. They are still in my guitar and I play it often, so I guess they can't be all that bad. :grin

:beer

I echo what @gearJunkie is saying - I have the Thornbucker set in my Suhr Modern (basswood body maple top) and although they work well in this guitar (really hard guitar to tame) they are not my favourite pickups. They split well but I think they do lack a mid push. I'm contemplating swapping for a Bareknuckle Unity bridge

Other humbucker pickups I have are the Bareknuckle VHII which are bright and again you need the right guitar to pair them with. They were in the guitar which now has the Thornbuckers and it was too bright. They are now in a Suhr Modern Satin and it works well because i think the wood (similar to mahogany) absorbs some of the more extreme frequencies.

My favourite Humbucker that I have is the Schecter Sunset Strip (ceramic) in the bridge with a Schecter Pasedena (alnico 5) in the neck. of my Schecter SVSS. They sound so good - I imagine it is in the same style as a JB.

2 hard passes right out of the gate. Ouch!

schitts creek no GIF by CBC

:LOL:

Actually Looking for Low Output Alnico II or IV
Ill have 3 Other Axes with Higher output Pickups
So any Suggestion are welcome from the Gearheads here @ TGF

Cheers

Cheers

You may be happy with some of the more boutique offerings from folks like Lollar (Imperial),
Fralin (Pure PAF), or Wolfetone (Dr. Vintage).

On a budget I'd suggest the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF.

The Seymour Duncan Slash Set has Alnico II mags in it, too, and is only slightly overwound.

You may be happy with some of the more boutique offerings from folks like Lollar (Imperial),
Fralin (Pure PAF), or Wolfetone (Dr. Vintage).

On a budget I'd suggest the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF.

The Seymour Duncan Slash Set has Alnico II mags in it, too, and is only slightly overwound.

Thanks Dave, Yes the 36th is on my short list
And well I don't want to spend 400.00$ single pickup lol so no boutique

I normally lean toward dimarzio choices but the SD '59 fits your specs and it does quite well in the bridge pos.

edit: well almost. it's alnico 5

Cheers
Try Vintage Vibe. https://vintagevibeguitars.com/pickups.html

The website is straight out of the 1990s, but the guy who makes them really knows his stuff. Similar prices to Duncans and DiMarzios too.

Many years ago, I wanted new humbuckers for my Yamaha SA-1200S because the bridge pickup was too midrange honky. The guitar has a bit unique pickup mounting rings with 2 screws on one side so the angle can be adjusted exactly. I could have just swapped in regular pickup rings, but instead asked if VV could do custom mounting. They said yes if I could provide the right spacing so I drew them some diagrams with measurements.

VV recommended me one of their pickup models with Alnico II magnets but I feared they might be too "vintage", so I opted for Alnico Vs. They provided Alnico II magnets as well because you can unscrew the bottom plate and easily swap the magnets yourself on these pickup.

Turns out they were 100% right about the magnets. The guitar was a bit thin and bright with Alnico Vs to the point I considered selling it. But when I swapped in the Alnico IIs, it totally transformed the sound and now it's one of my favorite guitars.

So shoot them an email explaining your guitar and what you are looking to achieve.

As for Suhr pickups, I love the Doug Aldrich set in my Carvin C66 but it's certainly not vintage voiced. It's more like the best of 1980s hard rock.

I have a Thornbucker and Thornbucker+ in my Suhr Modern. Love the guitar, and the pups are nice, but far from my favorites.

They are quite bright, so they cut through the mix extremely well, and when split offer up some tasty cleans, but I prefer something like a Seymour Duncan JB or Custom with a little more of a mid-focus response.

As for other Suhr pickups, I really like the SSV neck and SSH+ bridge pups in my Strandberg.

My tired old ears know what they like, so you may have a different / better experience with them. They are still in my guitar and I play it often, so I guess they can't be all that bad. :grin

:beer

I second that. They are too ""FRFR"". Too bright. Good for cleans, but no character when using high gain. Too much spark in the highs. Difficult to cut in a mix. I replaced it with the Aldrich and I was happy. It has a special mojo on the mids. (until I replaced the Aldrich with something else😄... a Dimarzio Bluesbucker, which I love, but the Aldrich was also good 😂)

1697977479447.jpeg

Possible, indeed.
But not the ideal for cleans... that's where I found the Bluesbucker, for both neck and bridge. More vintage, more P90'sh, more PAFish

Last edited:
Try Vintage Vibe. https://vintagevibeguitars.com/pickups.html

The website is straight out of the 1990s, but the guy who makes them really knows his stuff. Similar prices to Duncans and DiMarzios too.

Many years ago, I wanted new humbuckers for my Yamaha SA-1200S because the bridge pickup was too midrange honky. The guitar has a bit unique pickup mounting rings with 2 screws on one side so the angle can be adjusted exactly. I could have just swapped in regular pickup rings, but instead asked if VV could do custom mounting. They said yes if I could provide the right spacing so I drew them some diagrams with measurements.

VV recommended me one of their pickup models with Alnico II magnets but I feared they might be too "vintage", so I opted for Alnico Vs. They provided Alnico II magnets as well because you can unscrew the bottom plate and easily swap the magnets yourself on these pickup.

Turns out they were 100% right about the magnets. The guitar was a bit thin and bright with Alnico Vs to the point I considered selling it. But when I swapped in the Alnico IIs, it totally transformed the sound and now it's one of my favorite guitars.

So shoot them an email explaining your guitar and what you are looking to achieve.

As for Suhr pickups, I love the Doug Aldrich set in my Carvin C66 but it's certainly not vintage voiced. It's more like the best of 1980s hard rock.
Thanks @laxu Will def give them a shout (y)
And yes My Revstar will be my Vintage Axe for Classic 70's rock and Some Hot Blues

Well as Expected None to Be found here In my Neck of the woods, sent Long and Mcwait an E-mail
I expect they will not disappoint with, "Oh yes we can order it but you may get it sometime in 2024"

:Boo

Back