Dimarzio Pickups

I'm not sold on a Rocksong, @Stone . I was so impressed with the Tonerider Alnico IV Neck pickup
that I dove in and tried a bunch of other Tonerider offerings. I did not like the Rocksong even a little. :wat

Never thought the Slash was shrill. I really like most alnico 2 humbuckers in the mid to low output range. Very versatile.

I think it depends on the guitar.

If an overwound A5 PAF like the Birmingham sounded shrill in a guitar, the Slash is likely going to be very similar. Birmingham is an 8.7k pickup with 42ga wire; Slash is an 8.9k pickup with 42ga wire. I haven't found that A5 vs A2 is going to be a massive shift in the high end, more subtle. It's also going to have a little less low end which could emphasize the shrill tone. And just from experience, the Slash bridge had a push in the upper mids, not harsh in my Les Paul, but definitely forward sounding.

@Stone If you aren't familiar, PAF's are wound usually between 7.5k - 8.5k resistance with 42 gauge wire. High output pickups like the Duncan JB and Dimarzio Tone Zone are wound around 16k - 17k resistance with 44 gauge wire. Medium output pickups like the Duncan Custom range or Rocksong are 12-13k resistance with 43 gauge wire.

That's where I think if you want bigger sonic changes, don't jump from PAF to PAF that are very subtle, but try a different type of pickup. Believe me, I've gone through the PAF carousel a bunch of times...

Also, you could swap the A5 magnet from the Birmingham for an A2 and you should be very close to the Slash pickup in terms of specs. Magnets are about $5 and it's pretty easy to swap if they don't have covers. Just loosen the screws on the bottom of the pickup and push the magnet out the side. Might have to soften the wax a little if it's cold. If they do have covers, you can cut the solder with a box cutter (fresh blade) easily and pop them off. Not a bad idea to know how to swap magnets. Just make sure to match the polarity so it's not out of phase.

Lastly, gotta put a plug for the lowly Dimarzio 36th pickups. I did the pickup carousel a bunch of times on my Les Paul, including the Air Norton, Wolfetones, Suhr Thornbuckers, Seth Lovers, Slash, Suhr Aldrich, Friedman Classics, Duncan A2 Pros, and probably a dozen others. Currently put the Dimarzio 36ths in, and they are really nicely balanced on this guitar with less harshness in the bridge and less mud in the neck. You can find them used cheap all day long.

Oh, as I'm re-reading that, a few other thoughts...

DC resistance and specs on paper aren't going to tell the full story of the pickup sound, but they are definitely useful to get a general idea. The type and strength of the magnet is a factor, as is the type of wire used, the winding on the pickup, the type of cover if any, etc.

I'm a big fan of Suhr pickups as they are good quality, no BS, and decent pricing (used to be a lot better before Covid). They aren't $350-400 per set like BKP or Lollar, but they feel like a step up from Duncan/Dimarzio. I've got Thornbuckers and SSV's in guitars now. I think a really badass set would be the SSH+ and SSV combination, if you like a hotter bridge pickup.

Just for whatever reason, the Suhr pickups tend to stay in my guitars while the others tend to get sold down the road. I've got Suhrs in four guitars and a set of pickups for a fifth. If I got another cheap pair of SSV's or Thornbuckers used, I'd probably throw them in my Les Paul too.

DC resistance and specs on paper aren't going to tell the full story of the pickup sound, but they are definitely useful to get a general idea. The type and strength of the magnet is a factor, as is the type of wire used, the winding on the pickup, the type of cover if any, etc
for sure 100% Suhrs are def in the Running its down to these 3
So far its in this Order

Dimarzio Norton DP-160
Suhr Thornbucker +
Tonerider Rocksong

I really like the DiMarzio D-Activator X set on my S2! They're versatile for my needs. Switching it to parallel is also awesome!

What is it about a PU that makes harmonics "bloom?" Not natural harmonics, but the harmonic overtones of a note as its ringing out.

There is something about these Dreamcatcher/Rainmakers in the Majesty that makes notes absolutely SING!! Like, if I wasn't wearing headphones, I'd swear I had caught some natural tube-amp feedback..., the notes just morph into harmonics sometimes. Even the neck PU does it. I freaking LOVE it!

I think it depends on the guitar.

If an overwound A5 PAF like the Birmingham sounded shrill in a guitar, the Slash is likely going to be very similar. Birmingham is an 8.7k pickup with 42ga wire; Slash is an 8.9k pickup with 42ga wire. I haven't found that A5 vs A2 is going to be a massive shift in the high end, more subtle. It's also going to have a little less low end which could emphasize the shrill tone. And just from experience, the Slash bridge had a push in the upper mids, not harsh in my Les Paul, but definitely forward sounding.

@Stone If you aren't familiar, PAF's are wound usually between 7.5k - 8.5k resistance with 42 gauge wire. High output pickups like the Duncan JB and Dimarzio Tone Zone are wound around 16k - 17k resistance with 44 gauge wire. Medium output pickups like the Duncan Custom range or Rocksong are 12-13k resistance with 43 gauge wire.

That's where I think if you want bigger sonic changes, don't jump from PAF to PAF that are very subtle, but try a different type of pickup. Believe me, I've gone through the PAF carousel a bunch of times...

Also, you could swap the A5 magnet from the Birmingham for an A2 and you should be very close to the Slash pickup in terms of specs. Magnets are about $5 and it's pretty easy to swap if they don't have covers. Just loosen the screws on the bottom of the pickup and push the magnet out the side. Might have to soften the wax a little if it's cold. If they do have covers, you can cut the solder with a box cutter (fresh blade) easily and pop them off. Not a bad idea to know how to swap magnets. Just make sure to match the polarity so it's not out of phase.

Lastly, gotta put a plug for the lowly Dimarzio 36th pickups. I did the pickup carousel a bunch of times on my Les Paul, including the Air Norton, Wolfetones, Suhr Thornbuckers, Seth Lovers, Slash, Suhr Aldrich, Friedman Classics, Duncan A2 Pros, and probably a dozen others. Currently put the Dimarzio 36ths in, and they are really nicely balanced on this guitar with less harshness in the bridge and less mud in the neck. You can find them used cheap all day long.
I agree that the guitar is an important part but I still have yet to hear any alnico 2 humbucker sound shrill . Maybe there is something going on with the bridge thinning out the sound.

Hmm i was thinking that as well but what and how does the bridge affect this ?

Thanks
A poor vibration will thin out the tone considerably. This is why I caveated my original comment with depending on the acoustic tone and the think about a pickup swap.

A poor vibration will thin out the tone considerably. This is why I caveated my original comment with depending on the acoustic tone and the think about a pickup swap.
Yes well I do plan on changing the bridge and Tailpiece as well, and is that Due to materials or the way the Bridge is set up ?

Back