Dimarzio Pickups

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all Anyone have any Experience with Dimarzio Norton for the Bridge ?
They seem to have some great user reviews and was wondering if any of my brethren here on TGF have or had any experience with them?

Thanks all

Cheers

I have a Norton in the bridge of an Epiphone Tak Mosumoto Custom that sounds awesome.

I tried installing another in a Gibson Les Paul and it sounded terrible… way too much low end.

I tried installing another in a Gibson Les Paul and it sounded terrible… way too much low end.
Why So both have Mahogany body no ??
and that Epiphone Tak Mosumoto has the same Body and material as my Revstar II

so maybe a good fit

No idea why the PU worked in one guitar and not the other. The Gibson has a maple top vs full mahogany on the Epiphone. I guess that may have something to do with it.

No idea why the PU worked in one guitar and not the other. The Gibson has a maple top vs full mahogany on the Epiphone. I guess that may have something to do with it.
It's possible the pot value was lower in the Les Paul? Although you could have factored that in.

Norton has been on my list to get as well, so interested to hear some more feedback from folks.

DiMarzio will replace it with something else if you don’t like the pickup. It’s a low risk proposition even if you’re on the fence.

Howdy all Anyone have any Experience with Dimarzio Norton for the Bridge ?
They seem to have some great user reviews and was wondering if any of my brethren here on TGF have or had any experience with them?

Thanks all

Cheers

I did many years ago, it sounded quite good in the bridge of a PRS SE Custom 24. It's kind of a medium hot pickup.

Also tried an Air Norton which is supposed to be the same thing with air gaps for a little less magnetic force, and that was super dulll and muddy sounding in a PRS S2 Mira (which was a really dark guitar).

medium hot pickup.
This is what Im looking for, Unfortunately the Yamaha Stock didn't do it for me not thats its bad just not what im looking for
The Tonerider Birmingham is not terrible either but not doing it for me, meaning not what im looking for in the Bridge
Mind you the Tone rider in the Neck is awesome
Ill give the bridge another shot with the Norton

:idk

This is what Im looking for, Unfortunately the Yamaha Stock didn't do it for me not thats its bad just not what im looking for
The Tonerider Birmingham is not terrible either but not doing it for me, meaning not what im looking for in the Bridge
Mind you the Tone rider in the Neck is awesome
Ill give the bridge another shot with the Norton

What don’t you like on the Birmingham?

What about a Rocksong? I tried that pretty similar to Norton for output. Way cheaper.

Have you done magnet swaps on humbuckers?

No did not swap magnets, im not that technical when comes to Pickups
the Birmingham's sound Shrill and bright they don't have Much sustain and sound somewhat sterile (slightly better than the Original Yamaha's)
not that creamy smooth Violin type Sustain, im looking for

Last edited:
Birmingham's sound Shrill and bright they don't have Much sustain and sound somewhat sterile

That's often an indicator that your pickups are too high and too close to the strings - especially the sustain problem. Have you tried lowering them?

That's my first thought. Not trying to be an annoying ass or tell you something that you probably already know; just trying to help.

Oh, the number of times I've hated a guitar and pickups only to lower them and realise that it was just a bad setup all along :facepalm

No did not swap magnets, im not that technical when comes to Pickups
the Birmingham's sound Shrill and bright they don't have Much sustain and sound somewhat sterile (slightly better than the Original Yamaha's)
not that creamy smooth Violin type Sustain, im looking for

Ah yes, then highly recommend checking out the Rocksong. Medium output pickup with A2 magnet should help warm up a shrill guitar.

Classic option would be a Duncan Custom Custom, same concept but I think a little hotter, medium-hot A2 humbucker.

I think the Birmingham is overwound PAF style, sometimes those can have an annoying spike in the mids. I got that with the Duncan 78 and the Wolfetone Marshallhead.

That's often an indicator that your pickups are too high and too close to the strings - especially the sustain problem. Have you tried lowering them?

That's my first thought. Not trying to be an annoying ass or tell you something that you probably already know; just trying to help.

Oh, the number of times I've hated a guitar and pickups only to lower them and realise that it was just a bad setup all along :facepalm
Ahhh of course not my friend, your Input is always valued I did lower them a tad but I will Lower them More though and see

thanks for the Input and everyone here always Very helpful Why this is the best Forum on the Planet (y)
Ah yes, then highly recommend checking out the Rocksong. Medium output pickup with A2 magnet should help warm up a shrill guitar.

Classic option would be a Duncan Custom Custom, same concept but I think a little hotter, medium-hot A2 humbucker.

I think the Birmingham is overwound PAF style, sometimes those can have an annoying spike in the mids. I got that with the Duncan 78 and the Wolfetone Marshallhead.
Yes Ill look at the \Rocksong as well since I love my Alnico II in the neck
But also looking at the Slash Bridge, the Norton and The Thornbucker

Thanks for the Great suggestions

:beer

Slash is likely also going to be a bit shrill to your ears, pretty similar. Thornbucker is a good pickup, pretty balanced. Norton likely a little hotter and fatter. Same with Rocksong.

Slash is likely also going to be a bit shrill to your ears, pretty similar. Thornbucker is a good pickup, pretty balanced. Norton likely a little hotter and fatter. Same with Rocksong.
Yes looks like will be between Both the Rocksong and the Norton

Never thought the Slash was shrill. I really like most alnico 2 humbuckers in the mid to low output range. Very versatile.

Back