Suhr new SL68 & SL67 MkII

nicolasrivera

Roadie
I've seen this in Pete thorn studio for a few months now and thought this where mods made for him but now they are up in the website as updated models!

Fat-Cap, Mid-Boost & 3-Way Bright Switches​

Fat-Cap Switch: One of the only tweaks found on a very famous amp John worked on in the 80’s, the Fat-Cap, adding low-end punch and bass that’s perfect when using the ‘Treble’ channel. In the original SL series, the ‘Fat’ cap was always in the circuit. This switch allows you to remove the Fat-Cap to get closer to a ‘true’, stock vintage amp.

Mid-Boost Switch: Dial in the perfect amount of midrange punch to cut through the mix. The Mid-Boost give a bit more gain to the phase inverter and a subtle lift to the tonestack, boosting the gain to the mid range. Most usefull when dimeing the controls.

3-Way Bright Switch: Add brilliance and sparkle to your tone, with clarity and presence. This switch allows you to choose between 3 different values, ‘Off’ is the original SL series, all-the-way bright which is the stock value found in vintage amps and a middle position that is somewhere in between.

New Master Volume Control​

Say goodbye to the need for external attenuators. Our redesigned Master Volume circuit gives you total control over your amp’s output, preserving your tones unique character, whether you’re in a bedroom jam or commanding the stage. This type of master volume control is highly effective at transparently controlling the output of the amp. When the control is at 10, it is completely transparent and out of the circuit. Start turning it down, and the amps volume can be reduced all the way to whisper levels.

Web-Body-SLMkIISeries_SL67MkII.jpg

Web-Body-SLMkIISeries_Closeup.jpg

Last edited:
So, the OG versions are essentially Ed ‘68 12301 style amp “interpretations” and Mark II versions include that, but are switchable for more “vintagey” tones?

So, the OG versions are essentially Ed ‘68 12301 style amp “interpretations” and Mark II versions include that, but are switchable for more “vintagey” tones?
Yes, spot on I'd say.

The Mk1 version do not have the bright caps or the fatcap. They do have a great master vol. and varian modes.

John Suhr aim was to make the best version of a plexi he could make. Those amps are built like tanks and extremely reliable. Looking inside the chases they put to shame those Marshalls.

Would also love to have one of these. For a while there, I was looping Al Estrada’s SL67 demo with the riff reminiscent of Women In Love. Stellar playing and sound.

Why would I be joking in saying I’m not at all interested in an amp without a loop?

Ah, gotcha. I don't think you don't understand how plexis work then.

The entire point of an effects loop is so you can route effects after distortion is generated in the amp. This means effects loops only work in amps where the distortion is generated by the preamp. An effects loop in a plexi would be pointless because there is no distortion developed in the preamp. In a plexi, all the distortion is developed in the phase inverter and power tubes, and you can't place an effects loop after the phase inverter or the power tubes. There is effectively zero difference between routing effects straight in the amp's input vs an effects loop if it had one.

It's fine if you still don't want it because you can't route effects after distortion, but you'll need to understand that with amps that generate distortion exclusively after the preamp, effects loops have always been and will always be pointless.

Back