NAD - Rivera Suprema Jazz Recording, first impressions

Stratzrus

Roadie
My Rivera Suprema Jazz Recording 55 watt 1x12 combo arrived this weekend and it's absolutely killer!

I've been a big fan of Rivera Amps since buying a Knucklehead Reverb 100 years ago. The clean channel is wonderful and I always thought that the clean channel would make a great amp all by itself.

I've been wanting a 1x12 tube combo for my Jazz gigs for a while but it needed to have plenty of clean headroom. My blackface Fenders (Super Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, and Deluxe Reverb) all sound great but with the volume past 5 they all go into overdrive tones and the Super Reverb's bass gets loose and a little muddy.

When I read the description of the Suprema Jazz it sounded just like what I wanted; an amp designed specifically for hollowbody guitars that had plenty of clean headroom.

It also has some great tone shaping controls including pull knobs for Bright/Treble, Notch/Middle, and Fat/Focus. According to Rivera:

"The Pull-Notch on the Middle control can cut out feedback on your Archtop. The Pull “Fat” gives a big bottom boost. The Treble “Bright” adds a nice shimmer to the top end for those complex chords to cut through the mix. The Focus control allows you to tighten or loosen your speaker. This Focus is great if you’re in a situation where a room might be to boomy and you need to tighten up the bass."

Those added controls really provide a wide variety of tone shaping options not found on my vintage Fender combos. In addition it has an effects loop, ideal for using with my Fractal FM9, and both direct out and speaker emulated out using the Mini Rockrec speaker emulation with six different speaker emulations to choose from. It also has a half power switch and Headphone Out.

These features make it a much better amp for gigging than my Fender combos but they wouldn't mean anything if the tone wasn't there. Thankfully it is there in spades. I was immediately able to get a full and rich Wes Montgomery tone with my ES-335 that was enhanced by a detailed but smooth high end.

The Suprema Jazz Recording comes in a 25 watt version with a 10" or 12" speaker. The 55 watt version has a 15" speaker but I wanted a 55 watt combo with a 12" speaker that would be better suited for gain tones if I wanted to also use it as a clean platform for pedals. It turned out that a 55 watt 1x12 combo is not part of their regular production run but Paul said I could special order one. I placed my order and had it in my hands within weeks. I was informed that Paul actually worked on the amp himself during the final stages of completion.

This amp is everything I could have wanted in a compact sized tube combo for Jazz gigs and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I've only had a little time with it so far and haven't had a chance to gig with it yet but after I've had a while to evaluate it I'll write a full review.

But as the Magic 8 Ball says "Outlook good".

53495610172_15e413339e_c.jpg

Nice! I’ve been really curious about the “newer” Riveras. I had a knucklehead ‘55 a long time ago that I remember liking a lot.

How is the speaker emulated out? Is it decent enough to be usable live?

I’ve been wondering about this amp.
I dig Rivera’s.
Dude, put the Diezel Herbert preamp pedal in the loop.
Holy HELL do Rivera’s KILL with that pedal in the loop.
The strong loop helps and that Rivera signature roar that Rivera’s ooze gets magnified into awesome’ness.
Congrats!

How is the speaker emulated out? Is it decent enough to be usable live?

I haven't used it yet but I've read a few reviews and by all accounts it's really good.

Here's a review of it by Nicholas Rivera who we all know from his comments about Fractal gear at TOP. I gather from his post ("I wanted to try any RIVERA product i could get my hands on") that he's not related despite the same last name. The amp has the Mini RockRec built into it.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/quick-review-of-the-rivera-mini-rockrec.1974220/

Oh yeah! Congrats!! :banana

I fully realize that this makes the Sig X irrelevant for you, so I have done you
a massive favour and sent you my address via PM. :beer

Oh yeah! Congrats!! :banana

I fully realize that this makes the Sig X irrelevant for you, so I have done you
a massive favour and sent you my address via PM. :beer

I gigged the Sig:X for a while and in addition to its great gain tones it also has wonderful cleans and was fine for my Jazz gigs. But carrying the head and my FatBottom 2x12 up stairs was a pain in the butt, not made easier when the number on the left went up a notch on my birthday.

At 50 lbs. the Rivera is no lightweight but I can carry it and it takes up less room on the stage.

Perhaps most importantly, I'm more likely to stick to the basics and won't be as tempted to rock out on stage like I am with the Sig:X. It's hard to explain but the Rivera has a certain aesthetic that helps me be in a Jazz state of mind, something that I work to achieve since I'm coming from a long background in various forms of Rock music.

I'll still play the Sig:X at home and I'll haul it to jam sessions but the Rivera will get the call when it's time to, as Funkadelic said, "Take It To The Stage".

Back