St Rock Neural Network and Modeling Unit

It's not exactly cheap and from an unknown company. I'll let others give it a go lol

Well, it's not much more expensive than the Tonex pedal, which folks ordered in spades. And while from a more wellknown company, in case of IK that's not exactly a seal of approval, no?
J/K, I obviously know what you mean - and these days it's possibly not exactly the greatest idea to order products from the Ukraine, at least not in case you'd expect fast delivery (for other reasons it might be a very good idea, though). Mate of mine ordered some headphones (supposed to perform *way* above their price) half a year ago and still hasn't gotten them.

Initially we hoped/thought they were trying to collab with Steve and the others (guitar ml/proteus) and build a more multi format capable device, but it doesn't seem to be the case. It would be cool to see someone integrate various formats into an existing device instead of everyone trying to re-invent the wheel with their own locked ecosystems. I think we will get there though

Initially I thought that the app looked very much like Boss Tone Studio, but then I realised the controls weren't blue like they are in BTS, so are completely different and not in any way similar... ;)

mcrocklin-ftr.jpg

My pick for brand ambassador.

Initially I thought that the app looked very much like Boss Tone Studio, but then I realised the controls weren't blue like they are in BTS, so are completely different and not in any way similar... ;)
More accurately, BTS looks like the default build from JUCE GUI Example. Boss changes the orange to blue, st rock left theirs the stock orange. See also: Valhalla

As this tech blows up there’ll be plenty of room for all kinds of peripheral companies to do their thing. Doesn’t mean it won’t ultimately shake out to the brands who already make pro quality of life a priority for a decade, it will but so what. There have always been sonic / $ / form factor alternatives that are great for making music. At the moment, a well-built $229 Boss pedal-size read-only box for free NAM amps, maybe with spdif out but I mean converters are good these days, that would sell a lot, at least for the next year or so.

I had a bash on this for the last month or so, the modeling sounds pretty good and the captures are fairly decent too. The software UI definitely needs an overhaul but it's got some really good ideas going on.

Wow, thanks for putting such a detailed vid together, Leon. This, Tonex....very fascinating to have this wealth of stuff available at pretty reasonable price points. For me, tho, the money saved would be outweighed by the frustration of a clunky interface, limited switchability and limited effects.

Seems like a hella cool backup rig component or starting point for someone dipping their toe into modeling/profiling. I hope that Line 6 and Fractal align with small players like this to decide on a single non-proprietary "profiler" file standard that they all will ultimately be able to play in their next iterations. That would be the true gamechanger for content creators, profiling fans and competitors alike.

Back