St Rock Neural Network and Modeling Unit

Freeware neural network based capturing is on the rise!
This uses the same training method on Google Colab as NAM, has a VST plugin and a hardware capture loader.

Free neural network based captures are going to get more widespread and easier to create and share VERY soon.
@phil_m was right, the window for hardware companies to monetize expensive hardware like QC and Kemper is narrowing fast.

Prepare to see a landslide of capture loading pedals and firmware updates in 2024.

big love to St Rock for achieving this during a war and with only 2 people involved. massive achievement to even get a product to launch. Hope that manual and website information get taken seriously though, seems like the kind of modeller where the focus is mostly on the sound than the UI/overall experience.

I think this is the creator's tutorial on training a model very cool stuff!

*Edit

From a Facebook NAM group entry:

Vasilius StRock
"... We have own format and own Neural network model - we are called it NNM. And we are support only it. Test file can be any, but proteus give acceptable result. We don't plan to support NAM. IMHO NAM profiles have some problems on high frequencies - somebody called it aliasing, somebody "hizz modulations" etc. I think in our model we can avoid this artefacts. There are used LSTM as main layer. It works more analogue but "in the nude" may have a problems with "convergence". I hope we could solve it. Our main aim was is supporting our hardware. But for popularization we have made free plugin. Enjoy it -)"

Last edited:
Seems to be very similar to NAM and Tonex except perhaps using GuitarML's tools which are another PyTorch based solution. I don't have good understanding between the different neural network approaches.

Interesting to see stuff like this, this is kind of like a "multifx Tonex pedal". From a company from Ukraine no less!

I'm not quite sure where this will lead with multiple competing products. It's very possible that IK becomes the "defacto" cheap pedal running captures simply because they were the first to market in that category. The next thing we will most likely see is Chinese manufacturers flooding the market with a rebranded small, cheap box that runs captures.

Hard pass on plug-ins for me for playing direct so far and I have nice audio interfaces for my computer. I hate the way they feel. Hardware modelers still to me feel better than plug-ins. That said for re amping an already recorded direct track they are very useful.

IK knew what they were doing getting ToneX out the door without it really being well tested first.

Every bit this.
In case that Amperium thing will work as supposed and feature acceptable technical specs, it'll simply run circles around Tonex. I mean, it's a fullblown modeler at just a few bucks more, comes with a dedicated editor and isn't using otherwise abandoned hardware.

In case these guys are clever, they'd add NAM compatibility (or a converter or whatever it takes). The process seems awfully similar already anyway.

Wow...those links aren't secure and I'm getting a tojan worning for one of their FB links. They need to invest bigtime in their web presense if they want to be taken seriously.

No issues with the website here. SSL is active and I scanned the DL for viruses, there are none.

Just installed this, it's a manual install. You need to copy the files to your vst folders.

It comes with one capture of an EVH 5150 III 50 watt blue channel with no cabinet.

And it sounds really good!

Seems to be very similar to NAM and Tonex except perhaps using GuitarML's tools which are another PyTorch based solution. I don't have good understanding between the different neural network approaches.

Interesting to see stuff like this, this is kind of like a "multifx Tonex pedal". From a company from Ukraine no less!

I'm not quite sure where this will lead with multiple competing products. It's very possible that IK becomes the "defacto" cheap pedal running captures simply because they were the first to market in that category. The next thing we will most likely see is Chinese manufacturers flooding the market with a rebranded small, cheap box that runs captures.
Totally agree... from a market standpoint, I am not sure there would be room for 5-10 capture devices/platforms that are all very similar in quality but different in format. If enough entries were to join the market it would become about the quality of your 'software library' i.e. capture marketplace for most end users and the market will probably converge based on that rather than hardware. As you note being the first budget device is a huge advantage for IK in there.

For example, I have ToneX and thought I would jump all over the pedal when it was released. It's well within impulse purchase price and I am a neophile for better or worse.

But, in practice, I toyed around with it a bit and have not messed with it since... I captured a few things and compared to my QC, I checked out IK's models and some of the user models. It compared well enough to QC but it was not clear at all whether it was any 'better' and I already have ALL of my amps and preamps captured to my satisfaction on the QC.

Recapturing them is not worth my time unless the other platform is notably better and I've got a good library of other folks captures on the QC I am happy with and have culled from their library, so a new capture device unless it were clearly superior functionally has limited appeal without some kind of interchange format. My time has value. I haven't even bothered to listen to NAM and I certainly will not download this either since ToneX covers any plugin need and QC does HW.

The plugins are cool and all I suppose. Free ones certainly are not new... And I can understand why someone new to caps might want the ToneX vs the QC, they are significantly different devices, that is not the point... point being you really only need a couple of choices among capture devices and once you invest in a capture device there is a time-cost to switch. All of these seem capable of making really good snapshots at this point so it is not likely to actually be leap frogging just a bunch of me too stuff built quickly now that the methods are proven, etc.

IMHO if there is not a significant gap in features or quality a bunch of freeware or half baked kick starter type devices will just be a bunch of shake out fodder.

Back