Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

Stomp has stereo in and out, stereo effects loop, 5-pin MIDI, 8 blocks, a screen. Also, I’d never buy one new.

I kinda get the price, but given a full rack is pretty easy to find for only $200 more used, for me, it’s just too high to even consider really.

It's what I personally expected. $600 would have been cool though.

Obviously they can't take the used market into account but the resale value of Kempers just take a huge hit. Some 50 percent off new. I can't think of many other digital devices that take such a hit.

Again, they don't factor that, nor should they.

But again, if I’m looking for something I can put on my pedalboard does it even matter what a rack or a stage cost?

It’s like, if I just need a little compact car to drive myself to work does it matter how much a 1 ton truck costs?

But again, if I’m looking for something I can put on my pedalboard does it even matter what a rack or a stage cost?

It’s like, if I just need a little compact car to drive myself to work does it matter how much a 1 ton truck costs?
I can only speak for me and my situation.

It looks pretty cool too. That's important!
Not talked about enough. Kempers are visually cool and unique, instantly recognizable. I love that they have gone all in on that particular green color in everything they make. I've never been much of a Kemper fan because I don't care that much about the whole profiling concept, but just the looks of the Player make me want one a little bit.

Sure, they have a bit of a "medical equipment" vibe with the blinking lights and whatnot, but by comparison e.g Fractal is "electronics lab equipment" and QC is "if Apple made a modeler".

Id argue yes it does matter. At this argument they should have charged full price because it fills a role the others dont

As the price gap between units gets smaller, you need to start considering if the significant upgrades in the bigger package are worth it.

89w93w.jpg
TimbuckNo

I'm generally curious how you could think that 😂

I feel like we've reached a strange point in gear where we want simple and stripped down versions of gear for not cheap strip downed prices. I'm not saying things should be unnecessarily difficult to use but I'd rather options and horsepower be there than not at the end of the day.

Idk if it's laziness, lack of time to commit to products or something else but I fear this push for simplicity may lead to over simplification

Id argue yes it does matter. At this argument they should have charged full price because it fills a role the others dont

As the price gap between units gets smaller, you need to start considering if the significant upgrades in the bigger package are worth it.

You would consider buying a rack unit if you were looking for something to throw on your pedalboard for amp tones?

You would consider buying a rack unit if you were looking for something to throw on your pedalboard for amp tones?
I would buy a Tone X.

But staying within Kemper ecosystem, I would strongly consider it and just run my pedalboard that I adore into the rack for best of both worlds

Well the new HX One isn't even comparable to their line imo since it doesn't do modeling
So is the HX Effects not part of the line? Really? Anyway…. I said it’s good to see them making units that are stripped down for people who don’t need either modeling, effects, or whatever so it really doesn’t matter what is specifically not in the unit because it’s for people like me who want something for part of what the big one does.

Last edited:

Speaking more generally, sure, if someone REALLY wants a KEMPER on a pedalboard, the price of this is not completely over the top.

Getting back to me personally, since that's all I can really talk about:

Kemper products have always been a bit overpriced-for-what-they-are, which is fine, because if you want a Kemper you want a Kemper. Also fine because they offered something unique in this area. The Liquid Profiling update and the calls in this thread for a more complete update to their profiling technology, however, shows why I've grown weary of being willing to pay the Kemper Premium: when they DO have a technology update, it comes at a cost to users, in that it requires a whole refresh of your profile stash. Sure, one could choose to just...keep using the old stuff and it works the same as it ever did. But the ownership reality is that updates to their profiling tech have a user-born cost. I guess you're getting wifi and bluetooth in this, so maybe that's where the bean counting starts to work out despite the lack of screen, known much cheaper processor, etc., but...all of this adds up to me finding the Kemper to be a fun ecosystem to play around in, but also not one that I'm desperately tied to and probably the one that I can live without the easiest...I'mma only be interested in the most cost-effective Kemper fix I an find and in the current market as a whole, this ain't it.

Back