Some interesting news from Kemper (Profiler Player)

It ain't got the I/O to profile -- the XLR is a main output, not an input.
That just doesn't make sense to me 😶

The company went from the original idea of the Kemper being to profile your amps and didn't even think about 3rd party profiles to you will exclusively need to use 3rd party profiles (or own multiples of our units)

The company went from the original idea of the Kemper being to profile your amps and didn't even think about 3rd party profiles to you will exclusively need to use 3rd party profiles (or own multiples of our units)
They probably see that 80-90% of their users are not making their own captures but using 3rd party options.

I do agree that having a companion Kemper Profiling plugin or app would have been big.

I dunno -- I think this product is made expressly for the already Kemper converted, and the price kinda reflects that. For folks that already have a bunch of profiles that just want a smaller form factor either for pedal-board integration, or for tossing in gig bag as an all-in-one.

They probably see that 80-90% of their users are not making their own captures but using 3rd party options.

I do agree that having a companion Kemper Profiling plugin or app would have been big.
Gotcha. I view this similar to the HX One where the market may be those who lean towards analog gear and have a higher chance of owning a tube amp.

But what do I know! I feel like I'm being a wet blanket!

I dunno -- I think this product is made expressly for the already Kemper converted, and the price kinda reflects that. For folks that already have a bunch of profiles that just want a smaller form factor either for pedal-board integration, or for tossing in gig bag as an all-in-one.
Definitely (and if I ever snagged one, that would be my purpose)

Well I'd probably build a pedalboard but I'd have a bunch of profiles from previous Kemper trials 😂

In terms of a "I really want a small box that is my entire rig" I find it VERY interesting. The things I do tweak to a room are tone stack, reverb mix and to a lesser degree decay, and delay feedback and mix. You've got access to all of those things straight on this unit with no screen needed. Plus, this thing is probably like 1/4 of the weight of an HX Stomp...making it a lot better for a "toss in gig bag" option.

In terms of "something I'd like to integrate in a pedalboard:", I don't find this interesting mostly from a price perspective and from a "if I want it on a pedalboard, I really only need an amp or two and there are all sorts of cool options for that now".

Last edited:
There are two conflicting arguments going on 😂 personally would view the Player as integrating with a pedalboard. If I was looking for standalone, it would be the rack, toaster, or stage for me.

Just saying cost comparison is sort of irrelevant when they serve completely different purposes.

In terms of a "I really want a small box that is my entire rig" I find it VERY interesting. The things I do tweak to a room are tone stack, reverb mix and to a lesser degree decay, and delay feedback and mix. You've got access to all of those things straight on this unit with no screen needed.

In terms of "something I'd like to integrate in a pedalboard:", I don't find this interesting mostly from a price perspective and from a "if I want it on a pedalboard, I really only need an amp or two and their are all sorts of cool options for that now".
It might appeal to the same folks who like e.g a HX Stomp + a few pedals for a "not that big rig." The "amp/cab" does a bit of heavy lifting for e.g effects you don't use a lot.

It might appeal to the same folks who like e.g a HX Stomp + a few pedals for a "not that big rig." The "amp/cab" does a bit of heavy lifting for e.g effects you don't use a lot.
I'm sure it will appeal to others in very different ways; all I can speak for is myself.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 20.07.58.png

I plugged the dimensions from the manual into Pedalplayground for a size comparison. It's kinda big - you lose less horizontal board space than IR-X or Tonex, but it's a tall boi.

Looking at this, the Friedman is actually a pretty great size for something that is a tube preamp with controls for dual channels, unless that scale is very wrong on Pedalplayground since the switches look tiny compared to the others.

Back