SHOW OFF YOUR PEDALBOARD!

The Brig is great. It’s more of an idealized analog-voiced delay, than a pure replication. I love it. I look forward to what else they do in this size.

I love my stomp but I've never owned a strymon and I think a strymon delay needs to go on my board for a bit so I can see the hype for myself. I'm just trying to decide between an El Cap, Brig or just going the whole hog with a Timeline.

I love my stomp but I've never owned a strymon and I think a strymon delay needs to go on my board for a bit so I can see the hype for myself. I'm just trying to decide between an El Cap, Brig or just going the whole hog with a Timeline.
Someone needs to pay full price and buy a Timeline, so that Strymon announces a v.2 I can buy a month later. :D

Whoa, that Korg SDD is a beast, super cool! In what ways do you use it? (Like, Edge-type delays, or is it for more out-there stuff?)

Edge type delays and more floaty ambient washes. To be honest, it's a mad pedal - way too big, and all the modes other than the SDD3000 are just ported straight from the Vox Delaylab, which is generally underwhelming.

If you like the SDD3000 sound - a kind of warm, lofi vintage digital - nothing else does it. It's got a character that's just as cool and musical as, say, a Memory Man. The modulation section's incredible, and the HP/LP filters are great for tone shaping without being too fiddly. For long, almost self-oscillation washes it's magical as the repeats get softer in a sort of analogue way, and it gets really dirty when you let it run away into feedback.

The preamp's a whole other thing, too. It's got input & output attenuators plus a volume knob, so you can decide how hard you want to hit the Op amp.

Very jealous of the Brig @Alex Kenivel I've been gassing hard for a Brig since they were released

Also have you compared the KoD with the kot in the stomp?
I have. They're pretty close in sound but the waveforms tell a different story. The HX versions have less harmonics and seems smoother, whereas the KoD has more harmonic peaks and can distort farther. Same sounds are mostly there as far as I can tell just the knobs won't be in the same places

I have. They're pretty close in sound but the waveforms tell a different story. The HX versions have less harmonics and seems smoother, whereas the KoD has more harmonic peaks and can distort farther. Same sounds are mostly there as far as I can tell just the knobs won't be in the same places

How do you go about comparing the waveforms? I'd like to do that with some of my clones and the versions in the helix.

How do you go about comparing the waveforms? I'd like to do that with some of my clones and the versions in the helix.
By using an audio interface with an extra pair of outputs and plugins via Reaper. I used Helix Native to measure its models by running a noise generator plugin into it - pink noise and sine sweeps - and plugged the I/O of the KoD into my interface. I routed the noise genny out of a hardware output, thru the pedal, and back into a channel of the interface.

The output signals of both ran into Fabfilter for looking at the frequency spectrum.

By using an audio interface with an extra pair of outputs and plugins via Reaper. I used Helix Native to measure its models by running a noise generator plugin into it - pink noise and sine sweeps - and plugged the I/O of the KoD into my interface. I routed the noise genny out of a hardware output, thru the pedal, and back into a channel of the interface.

The output signals of both ran into Fabfilter for looking at the frequency spectrum.

Perfect thanks for that

At least I didn't buy anything to rearrange and replace things once again... WTF is wrong with me? I was really happy and satisfied with the last 3-4 iterations of this board, yet I've been having sleepless nights going through signal chains in my head, and couldn't wait to get up in the morning just to sit down on the floor and "fix" stuff... it's a real PITA.

I know, the QOTSA nerd factor is more obvious this time, wasn't as bad the last time(s). Anyhow, it's almost dead quiet when it comes to noise levels with humbuckers, which is something I'm really proud of.

PS: The FreqOut sits right in front, I do know it's not wired in the pic. 😂

IMG_20230921_112706496~2.jpg

That SFT is such a cool and unique foundational OD. :chef
True! I used to run it on 18V near the end of the chain when I first got it, many moons ago - it's a V2 SFT.

Currently feeding it 9V and only blending it into the mix very slightly, with the Fulltone UO in front (fuzz dialed way down for octave only), while the second channel of the LS-2 has the Twin Bender, more prominently.

Dunno why, but ever since I got into parallel drives, my routing has become completely crazy... 🔥

True! I used to run it on 18V near the end of the chain when I first got it, many moons ago - it's a V2 SFT.

Currently feeding it 9V and only blending it into the mix very slightly, with the Fulltone UO in front (fuzz dialed way down for octave only), while the second channel of the LS-2 has the Twin Bender, more prominently.

Dunno why, but ever since I got into parallel drives, my routing has become completely crazy... 🔥

Nice! I really dug the Royal Albert Hall from CB, too. Such a great company. You just don't see a lot
of HiWatt and/or Ampeg based foundational ODs. :idk

Here's the current version of my board. Been using the QC and/or QC+Stomp in 4cm for a bit, but it's back to analog pedals in front + Stomp In The Loop.™ Really does sound and feel the best, at least with my amp.

Moved things around a bit, pretty happy with it (for now :grin). Stomp is still changing amp channels via the Suhr micro midi and the Mosky dual switch is changing presets up/down on the Stomp.

IMG_5192.jpeg

Last edited:
Just like with toilet paper, most folks prefer the PSU under the board, while some dance the other way. 😂

Apart from that, I see what looks like a fun budget board. A big one.
Yeah, I put the PSU on top so I can change pedals, or replace power cables easily.
You are right in calling it a budget board. Fact is, I'm not wealthy enough to spend big bucks on pedals. Not ashamed to admit it. My most expensive is the Rothwell Hellbender overdrive, I think it was £149 ( $188) new. What I have works well enough for me, and I do like EHX pedals. 😉

Yeah, I put the PSU on top so I can change pedals, or replace power cables easily.
You are right in calling it a budget board. Fact is, I'm not wealthy enough to spend big bucks on pedals. Not ashamed to admit it. My most expensive is the Rothwell Hellbender overdrive, I think it was £149 ( $188) new. What I have works well enough for me, and I do like EHX pedals. 😉
EHX are definitely fine!

When I was still buying pedals more regularly (55 pedals + HX FX + Helix Floor are enough for now), EHX, along with stuff like MXR or Boss, was among the affordable companies that I'd usually stick to.

That said, EHX still put out nice stuff. They're QC and parts/sources could use a little improvement, but their circuits are still CRAZY and often quite unique, just like in the old days.

Legendary. 😀

PS: To be clear, absolutely nothing wrong with a budget board!

Fwiw, my pedalboard looks pretty much the same as around one year ago (just the little mixer got removed because I used it *way* less than I thought I might use it), even dozens of gigs later I'm still quite absolutely happy regarding the general way it works and sounds - minus a few things that became apparent throughout these gigs, for which I will hopefully find a way of adressing them. Once done with those, I might be closer to "finalization" than ever before.

Back