Show me your #1 and tell me why

This is my #1 looking guitar but to be honest it gets played the least. I don't jive with the neck (too thin). I hate to get rid of it though lol anyone else ever have a beautiful guitar they can't get along with?

Attachments

• PXL_20221121_153758412.jpg
    PXL_20221121_153758412.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20221121_153743277.jpg
    PXL_20221121_153743277.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
This is my #1 looking guitar but to be honest it gets played the least. I don't jive with the neck (too thin). I hate to get rid of it though lol anyone else ever have a beautiful guitar they can't get along with?
My favorite guitar (because OMG just look at it!) is actually seldom played, because it's a bit of a one trick pony. (But what a trick LOL.) Total shred machine, very bright, one pickup, volume-only... I adore it, and occasionally pick it up for kicks, but day to day I tend to reach for something more versatile.

OAmanCE.jpg

In the same vein, I have an SG I'm trying to love, but haven't quite gelled with yet, a very valuable 7 string I can't sell (for a variety of personal reasons) but almost never play, and a '94 Parker Fly Deluxe that's almost perfect, but the stock electronics (which I dare not mess with) drive me a little crazy.

My favorite guitar (because OMG just look at it!) is actually seldom played, because it's a bit of a one trick pony. (But what a trick LOL.) Total shred machine, very bright, one pickup, volume-only... I adore it, and occasionally pick it up for kicks, but day to day I tend to reach for something more versatile.

OAmanCE.jpg

In the same vein, I have an SG I'm trying to love, but haven't quite gelled with yet, a very valuable 7 string I can't sell (for a variety of personal reasons) but almost never play, and a '94 Parker Fly Deluxe that's almost perfect, but the stock electronics (which I dare not mess with) drive me a little crazy.

Yoooooooooo why is this the first time I’m finding out you’ve got a UV7PWH?!?!?!?!

I’m having our TGF office write up some new T&C to include “Anyone owning a UV7PWH must send it to Drew for mod approval before participating on the forum”

I’m dying to play one of these, especially after I heard they’ve got some big, fat ass necks!
Actually the neck isn’t as big as some make it out to be. I actually don’t have long fingers like Ian has and I don’t get along with big fat necks at all so I’m super picky about neck size. I had also heard the same about the neck and never bought one online because I was for sure I would be sending it back. Anyway GC platinum room in Nashville which is the best in the world BTW had ordered one and got it in. When I played it I was like oh wow! With the way it’s shoulders are trimmed down it so comfortable. So yes it’s a bigger neck but doesn’t feel like those necks that are IMHO way to fat.

2011 R9 with Bare Knuckle Black Dogs, been my #1 for over seven years now. Just an incredible sounding and playing guitar, honestly the best I've ever had in my hands. Absolutely huge sounding live, has a great blend of hard rock cut and upper mids but also old school midrange sweetness on the bridge, with nice clear bottom end, while also having amazing clarity on the neck pickup. Super comfy to play and just has that sound that is so perfect. Love the neck, too.

View attachment 2524

I have the Black Dogs in a Caparison and they really sound killer.

Yoooooooooo why is this the first time I’m finding out you’ve got a UV7PWH?!?!?!?!

I’m having our TGF office write up some new T&C to include “Anyone owning a UV7PWH must send it to Drew for mod approval before participating on the forum”
I was obsessed with the UV7P the moment it came it out (1990?) Spent a summer working a s*** job to save up the scratch, literally repeating the phrase "UV7P" aloud, over and over, to get myself through the days. I eventually (in darker times) sold the one that I bought at the end of that summer, but a good friend later sold me his. Both guitars were very early examples, but his (now mine, s/n 000075), was so early it has an even thinner neck profile than the ones that followed.

But truth be told, I've never really connected with any of the 7 string guitars I've owned. Maybe I'm just too wimpy. :D This one will remain - despite its soaring value - because of all the history.

I was obsessed with the UV7P the moment it came it out (1990?) Spent a summer working a s*** job to save up the scratch, literally repeating the phrase "UV7P" aloud, over and over, to get myself through the days. I eventually (in darker times) sold the one that I bought at the end of that summer, but a good friend later sold me his. Both guitars were very early examples, but his (now mine, s/n 000075), was so early it has an even thinner neck profile than the ones that followed.

But truth be told, I've never really connected with any of the 7 string guitars I've owned. Maybe I'm just too wimpy. :D This one will remain - despite its soaring value - because of all the history.

Damnit…..I had a light grow inside me when you started the last sentence then you quickly extinguished out any hopes of taking that off your hands. :ROFLMAO:

Man, I can totally relate to that “repeating the phrase aloud” thing. After I saw Vai for the first time I was infatuated with the JEM7V, I’d literally sit at the kitchen table for hours staring at the Ibanez catalog and just thinking of how cool it would be to own one. I’ve told this story before, possibly in this thread, but I truly believe I willed that guitar into my existence. It was just my dad and I living together at the time and we were quite broke, there was no realistic way I’d ever get the money together to buy one.

Well, dad meets a woman on AOL (this is in early ‘97) from NYC and they meet and fall in love, she wants us to move to Staten Island. I didn’t want to go because I didn’t like her for a multitude of reasons, the biggest being that she was married with 2 kids and no one knew this was going on, but I had also just made friends in NH after only being there for a year. So they bribed me with the JEM, “If you move to NYC, we’ll get you the JEM.”

BYE BYE FRIENDS!!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

I spent 9 months living in the same house, sharing a bedroom with her son who was my age, knowing what was going on behind on their backs. It was hellish, especially being 14/15 and not knowing how to handle adult sh*t like that, but looking back, I’d do it all over again if it meant getting that JEM because it was my baby for 25 years after and I’ll never get rid of it.

Damnit…..I had a light grow inside me when you started the last sentence then you quickly extinguished out any hopes of taking that off your hands. :ROFLMAO:

Man, I can totally relate to that “repeating the phrase aloud” thing. After I saw Vai for the first time I was infatuated with the JEM7V, I’d literally sit at the kitchen table for hours staring at the Ibanez catalog and just thinking of how cool it would be to own one. I’ve told this story before, possibly in this thread, but I truly believe I willed that guitar into my existence. It was just my dad and I living together at the time and we were quite broke, there was no realistic way I’d ever get the money together to buy one.

Well, dad meets a woman on AOL (this is in early ‘97) from NYC and they meet and fall in love, she wants us to move to Staten Island. I didn’t want to go because I didn’t like her for a multitude of reasons, the biggest being that she was married with 2 kids and no one knew this was going on, but I had also just made friends in NH after only being there for a year. So they bribed me with the JEM, “If you move to NYC, we’ll get you the JEM.”

BYE BYE FRIENDS!!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

I spent 9 months living in the same house, sharing a bedroom with her son who was my age, knowing what was going on behind on their backs. It was hellish, especially being 14/15 and not knowing how to handle adult sh*t like that, but looking back, I’d do it all over again if it meant getting that JEM because it was my baby for 25 years after and I’ll never get rid of it.
The UV7P's are fetching $5K+ now, which is kind of nuts. For a long while the swirls and florals were getting that kind of money because each one is, arguably, unique. I guess the UV7Ps are just old enough and rare enough to warrant those asking prices now? Anyway, if I pulled that kind of money from mine, I'd immediately feel weird about the disparity vs. what I paid my friend for it. And it still kind of feels like its his in some ways.

Ah, Jems... I have a long, sordid history with the 77FP, myself. :) Jem 77P and Boogie MkIIc+ are "my big ones that got away". Sometimes I think I should just dip into the HELOC and make myself whole again... (NO MARC NO!)

Last edited:
The UV7P's are fetching $5K+ now, which is kind of nuts. For a long while the swirls and florals were getting that kind of money because each one is, arguably, unique. I guess the UV7Ps are just old enough and rare enough to warrant those asking prices now? Anyway, if I pulled that kind of money from mine, I'd immediately feel weird about the disparity vs. what I paid my friend for it. And it still kind of feels like its his in some ways.

Ah, Jems... I have a long, sordid history with the 77P, myself. :) Jem 77P and Boogie MkIIc+ are "my big ones that got away". Sometimes I think I should just dip into the HELOC and make myself whole again... (NO MARC NO!)

Back in the day I wanted a floral so bad. I lost an eBay bid on one by something like $5 at the last second. I think the final price was somewhere around $750. Crazy seeing how much they're going for these days! o_O

Back in the day I wanted a floral so bad. I lost an eBay bid on one by something like $5 at the last second. I think the final price was somewhere around $750. Crazy seeing how much they're going for these days! o_O
Yup. Same friend who sold me that UV7P (and my #1 Hamer Virtuoso, come to think of it) bought his 77FP for $600 brand new - from a local retailer that seemed to be having one continuous "going out of business sale" for about 4 years straight ~1987 - ~1991. :D Everything he bought there seemed to be half street price; he got quite the collection started. Another friend gave me my 77FP as an (insanely generous) gift for being his best man, and if I recall correctly, he'd paid $500 used in 1993 or so. I never would have imagined these guitars appreciating 1000%!

Back in 1994 or 1995 Daddy's Junkie up in NH had one hanging on the wall for like $1100 and I thought that was WAY too much, so I didn't get it.

I need to learn that trick. I often think about gear I wish I could get back and realizing how much it would now cost me

Imagine what Norm, or Carter's, or Gruhn's thinks about all the gear they let go so cheap back in the day. :idk

I get it, but man that's such a dead end and only leads to tears of regret. :LOL:

Yup. Same friend who sold me that UV7P (and my #1 Hamer Virtuoso, come to think of it) bought his 77FP for $600 brand new - from a local retailer that seemed to be having one continuous "going out of business sale" for about 4 years straight ~1987 - ~1991. :D Everything he bought there seemed to be half street price; he got quite the collection started. Another friend gave me my 77FP as an (insanely generous) gift for being his best man, and if I recall correctly, he'd paid $500 used in 1993 or so. I never would have imagined these guitars appreciating 1000%!
Was this the local retailer?
2F3F1F92-1606-47FE-884A-01DDB919C0EF.jpeg

Back