Show me your #1 and tell me why

My #1 is a 2001 Driskill Diablo. Has Van Zandt pickups and a Piezo. Absolutely love the pickups. The guitar is heavy, but it’s the best sounding guitar I have by far. I was super into Petrucci at the time and DT had just toured the Metropolis pt 2 album with his prototype EBMMs, So I wanted a custom guitar with Petrucci-ish specs.

Worked in music retail sales at the time. Had a co-worker friend that knew a custom builder in FW, Texas, Joe Driskill. Went to his shop in 2000 and wound up ordering this one. Come to find out he blew up soon after this on the forum that shan’t be named.

Other story is the ‘69 Marshall Plexi. Found online used at GC. Bought it on the spot. Came from Austin with paperwork showing it was previously owned by EJ and his tech, along with EJ signature (confirmed later by his representatives). Bias was set super hot when so got it, so someone probably had it on a Variac. It sounds incredible.

8CFDC166-6F16-4689-AF3F-0763DE665E5A.jpeg
9C44C33D-E435-48CF-A909-E3DA58DAA356.jpeg

Lately its been my Knaggs Doug Rappoprt Kenai.

1. I love Doug.
2. I love Joe and Peter at Knaggs.
3. The guitar rocks.

People > Guitars.

Attachments

• 020EB167-467F-4306-996C-4488144B8FFA.jpeg
    020EB167-467F-4306-996C-4488144B8FFA.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44
  • 78B533ED-9733-4C8E-B528-8A9E2502557E.jpeg
    78B533ED-9733-4C8E-B528-8A9E2502557E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Aight Bruce. How far south do you get? If it's ever within say 50 miles of Talbot County MD, I wanna come see ya.
Furthest south I typically get is cape may, NJ. I’ve played MD a few times, definitely not outside the realm of possibility.

$1500 used for the Guitar, factory Klusons (no robo tuners), came with Spock’s coffin too. I don’t really care for the LP sig on the headstock but for the price this 2015 Traditional was too good to pass on. Added the Duncans and it’s a huge MF’r now.

81f4EcM.jpg

For many years my #1 has been this RG550LTD. I've played uncountable gigs with it. I've had many frustrated attempts to replace it, some of them quite expensive, including Suhr and Tom Anderson, but for one or another reason they never surpassed this RG550LTD so I got rid of them. I don't know if all the RG550LTD (Limited Edition) are as good as this one, or if I have a lucky piece of wood with mojo.

Now it is loaded with Suhr Aldrich bridge and Dimarzio Bluesbucker neck. A 3-position micro-switch at the Bluesbucker provides amazing P90ish tones on serial, parallel and single coil combinations

But recently I have more #1. The partcaster on the left. Warmoth roasted alder scalloped neck + Fender Highway One body, loaded with Seymour Duncan SSL-5 bridge and fender fat '50 mid and neck. I just can't stop playing it!. I never bonded much with my American Deluxe Strat, but this one is fantastic. Strat Heaven. And the other is the J.Custom RG8570CST (Satchur8 bridge, Gravity Storm neck)
20221007_082632.jpg

Last edited:
I’m submitting another #1, because technically, I have a #1 for each style I’m writing in. :grin

As soon as Ola put out these E-types I wanted one. The color is off a bit in this pic due to the LED’s in my apartment, it’s grey/black, not purple at all. This thing is a beast of a beast and if it weighed less than 10lbs I’d be pretty surprised. Just because the way this thing feels when you put it on, you want to play heavy riffs. I keep it in drop-C. It’s my first Evertune guitar and I don’t think it’ll be my last and it definitely won’t be my last Solar. Think I’m going to put a Duncan Nazgul in the bridge, but the stock pickups are pretty slick on their own.

View attachment 223
Not my style but DAMN… that’s so pretty!

I’m submitting another #1, because technically, I have a #1 for each style I’m writing in. :grin
I totally echo this.

#1 for playing faster, Ghost Shadows stuff:

fNKdayw.jpg

2019 Solar A2.6S. It's light, fast and just makes me want to keep playing. I swapped the Duncan Solar pickups in this for a set of Elysian Trident IIs that Adam made for me - think of a Super Distortion with more balls/crispness and you have a Trident II. I also have a 2022 Solar A2.6 in candy apple red that still has the Duncan Solars in it and these two mix together very, very well when recording. If this was Highlander, this might be the winner... maybe.

#1 for my 2nd (3rd) band 2x4:

tSzxBEB.jpg

2010 BC Rich Blood Bound Warbeast. Apparently you couldn't buy this outside of the Far East and I'd never seen one til I stumbled onto the Tokyo listing on eBay. 2x4 is specifically playing down tuned, slower, doom-ey stuff - for whatever reason when we started 2x4 we decided to use BC Rich guitars so, I have this one and a BC Rich Revenge that's been heavily customized (custom crackle paint job, all black hardware, Duncan Nazgul bridge pup and locking tuners). But, this one blows it away. It's very thin (think Ibanez Sabre) but feels super solid, very light, very comfortable to play standing up or sitting down. Neck is silky smooth, frets are nearly perfect. It has the Duncan Solars I pulled from the A2.6S above in it and they sound great - very Duncan Custom-ish.

#1 for I'm never getting rid of this again:

V3wgVKo.jpg

1994 Ibanez RG470. I bought this brand new within minutes of it arriving and being unboxed at Veneman's music in Rockville Maryland back when I was the guitar player/singer/songwriter for SCAB. The Lo TRS trem it came with totally sucked, but the guitar was very sweet. Back in the 90s when I was still gigging fairly frequently, it was my go to stage guitar.

I played a dozen or so gigs with it, recorded a few demos, had piles of band practices and just loved it like a part of my family. But, I knew it wasn't a great guitar. After I left MD, it spent quite awhile in the case while I sobered up and got on with life. Then, once I got married, I broke it back out and decided to play it some more.

Around 2005, I got it set up by a guy who runs a shop in Phoenix, and he was allegedly EVH's old guitar tech from the 90s era VH tours. After he set it up, it punched way above its weight class, but still wasn't great.

In 2016, I'd just bought my 1991 540SLTD and it is such a better guitar that when we ran into some cashflow troubles and I knew I had to sell something, the 470 became a pay the bills casualty.

Was chatting with a buddy who is a luthier/custom guitar builder and all around excessively talented dude earlier this year and he said "man, that would be so cool if you could get that guitar back - I would totally set that thing up for you and bet it would play better than ever before". That got my wheels turning and I reached out to the guy who bought it from me. It took some wheeling and dealing, in which I found an almost identical guitar for him and paid him a little cash, and about a month later I had it back.

SO.MANY.MEMORIES with this one. I yanked that Lo-TRS and swapped in a 1996T. The stock tuners were junk, so I installed a set of Hipshot lockers. Then replaced the INF pups with Duncan Distortions and handed it over to my buddy. He had it for about a week, rolled the fretboard, fret ends, filed down the 1996T base plate to it fit the route better, then did all the usual polish/condition, etc stuff and it plays better than anything you can buy new these days shy of an Ibanez Prestige . Blown away I was able to get it back - and if I wasn't going to be cremated, I'd want it in my coffin when I die...

Yep. This thing is the most resonant guitar I’ve played for electrics, and it rivals some acoustics I’ve played too.

Caparison really takes the time to build exceptional guitars, and it shows in the final product.

One of my closest friends is a lifelong ESP guy; wouldn’t play anything else and he’s got some seriously heavy hitters in his rack.

I showed up with this and we ran it thru all his amps, I’ve never seen that guy play that well and that fluidly.

He finally got done, set it on his lap and looked at me and sighed. Told me it was the best guitar he’d ever played and now he had to get one. He was actually pretty irked at how much he liked it compared to his top 2 guitars.

View attachment 157
Single pickup guitars are AMAZING especially when the single pickup is a humbucker.

20221014_102207.jpg

I've been searching for my #1, not only that, but *the* one guitar for me. So far this was the closest thing I've found.

I like many different styles and it's always been a struggle for me to stick to one guitar. I don't have the means to have multiple great guitars. I've spent most my playing life trying to make average guitars sound better, trying to make great guitars be a bit more versatile without screwing them up. Failed miserably at both for many years. Had given up on that for a while but I decided to try again with a slightly higher budget, if I managed to pull it off the plan was to sell everything else, keep just one more guitar as backup.

I'm changing the bridge pickup for something more like a PAF, just a preference thing, and it should be it.

Last edited:
Back