Should I put up the Rick Beato does Malmsteen Vid?

Watching now!

Kinda odd start….just “I wanted to ask you about strings”….no, “Hey Yngwie, welcome….”

Edit- 3 minutes in, “It’s not sweep picking!” ….then describes sweep picking before he sweep picks. :rofl

I love Yngwie. Seriously. Won’t catch me listening to more than 2 songs in a row, but I fucking love Yngwie.

This was really good, actually.

First off, I couldn’t figure out if I was seeing some forced perspective thing or if Yngwie is indeed a giant, but as evidenced by the handshake at the end, Yngwie is indeed a giant.

C195F3B9-D7D6-4533-A6F3-CEDF199D294A.jpeg

There’s some humbleness sprinkled throughout that that doesn’t get delivered in any of his interviews. He mentions home recording and “recording albums with a mouse…..I don’t do that…..no offense to anyone who does, that’s totally fine”. The thing I love the most about Yngwie is that it’s always seemed organic to me, his playing, tone, personality, presentation, I’ve never believed I was getting anything but 100% Yngwie and this interview does a good job at confirming a lot of that. At the same time a young EVH was in California coming up with his own thing, Yngwie was in Sweden doing the exact same thing in a slightly different direction.

I dug how he gives credit to his family/environment to his musical knowledge and the way he says scales and modes were common knowledge and you wouldn’t want to be caught dead without knowing them in his family lends itself to his perplexed stance that just came off as cocky when he’d comment on other guitarist’s theory knowledge. Gotta give the dude credit for sticking to his guns with gear, too. He’s surely had every company in the world trying to put his name on something and while he’s recreated his rig with sig gear, he uses it all and it’s basically the same rig it’s always been, just fine tuned.

I’m gonna have to get on an Yngwie partscaster.

Well, that was super thoughtful, chill, and inspiring. :unsure:

Kind of cool that he is all about the analog world until it comes to Pro Tools
copy and paste, and samples for drums. Then digital reigns supreme! :pitchforks

He still plays way too loud, is obnoxious on stage, drowns out his own band, and
can't write a memorable song to save his life.

But what a legend. A true Viking wielding his Battle Axe! :beer

As schooled and precise as he is he is still all about the improvisation. Not sure a lot of people
(including me) would have guessed that.

"All of my solos are improvised," Yngwie Malmsteen

Told You So Mic Drop GIF by FullMag

I am glad I watched that. I wish I could take back all the times I called him Wingnut Malcomstein and made fun of his pirate shirts etc.
I assumed all the talk of him being a drama queen etc was legit but after watching that I'm thinking it wasn't. Or if it was he has genuinly evolved and deserves my apology.
It is clear the man has a ton of natural ability from birth that he worked to shape into extreme talent and I think that can't be denied.
He is like the guitar hero version of the NFL's Deion Sanders...he talks the talk but he backs it all up walking the walk.

This was really good, actually.

First off, I couldn’t figure out if I was seeing some forced perspective thing or if Yngwie is indeed a giant, but as evidenced by the handshake at the end, Yngwie is indeed a giant.

View attachment 12141

There’s some humbleness sprinkled throughout that that doesn’t get delivered in any of his interviews. He mentions home recording and “recording albums with a mouse…..I don’t do that…..no offense to anyone who does, that’s totally fine”. The thing I love the most about Yngwie is that it’s always seemed organic to me, his playing, tone, personality, presentation, I’ve never believed I was getting anything but 100% Yngwie and this interview does a good job at confirming a lot of that. At the same time a young EVH was in California coming up with his own thing, Yngwie was in Sweden doing the exact same thing in a slightly different direction.

I dug how he gives credit to his family/environment to his musical knowledge and the way he says scales and modes were common knowledge and you wouldn’t want to be caught dead without knowing them in his family lends itself to his perplexed stance that just came off as cocky when he’d comment on other guitarist’s theory knowledge. Gotta give the dude credit for sticking to his guns with gear, too. He’s surely had every company in the world trying to put his name on something and while he’s recreated his rig with sig gear, he uses it all and it’s basically the same rig it’s always been, just fine tuned.

I’m gonna have to get on an Yngwie partscaster.
It's almost like Frodo and Gandalf. :rofl

Watching now, and I'm loving it!

I'm one of those guys who can't stand his playing because it just gets old so fast. I can listen to 3 songs and enjoy them, but then I'm done.
But I can sit here glued to the computer and hang on every story he tells! I LOVE YJM interviews generally, and this one is quite good.

"Heavier strings give more sustain...? No. It's not. It's not." :rofl

"There's a line around the block. Who's playing tonight?" "You are."

Great interview. I'm like @TSJMajesty in that I love Yngwie more than I love his music.
It's funny listening to him speak now compared to years back, he put's a YMMV, IMO, etc. after a strong opinion now.:roflI guess he doesn't want to deal with the drama anymore. A new, more reflective Yngwie if you will.:grin

I love how Rick brought up the whole “lighter gauge strings” argument at the beginning of the interview. It was like a big “I told you so” to all the naysayers since his controversial video. 😂

Back