Should I get my strat refinished again?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

CakeEater

Roadie
A little while ago, I got my strat refinished in Surf Green, and while I'm very happy with the colour itself, there were a couple of tiny flaws in the finish, mainly a single gold sparkle on the front and one or two tiny lint items on the back. When I found these, the luthier apologised sincerely and straight up offered to refinish the entire guitar, with a turnaround of a few days. I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, I could probably get the guitar refinished perfectly, the luthier admitted he had a lot of deadlines to meet over the Christmas period and guaranteed a perfect finish this time, he is a very reputable luthier. On the other hand, I don't really notice the flaws at all. If I did get it refinished, it means things like trem screws and neck screws would be taken out again and put back in again, and I'm wondering if it's worth the overall wear and tear on the guitar. I don't do much maintenance myself, so it's hard for me to say what kind of wear is involved in this. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

A little while ago, I got my strat refinished in Surf Green, and while I'm very happy with the colour itself, there were a couple of tiny flaws in the finish, mainly a single gold sparkle on the front and one or two tiny lint items on the back. When I found these, the luthier apologised sincerely and straight up offered to refinish the entire guitar, with a turnaround of a few days. I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, I could probably get the guitar refinished perfectly, the luthier admitted he had a lot of deadlines to meet over the Christmas period and guaranteed a perfect finish this time, he is a very reputable luthier. On the other hand, I don't really notice the flaws at all. If I did get it refinished, it means things like trem screws and neck screws would be taken out again and put back in again, and I'm wondering if it's worth the overall wear and tear on the guitar. I don't do much maintenance myself, so it's hard for me to say what kind of wear is involved in this. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
If he's offering and you're not happy, then let him refinish. You pointed them out to him because you noticed, and I'm guessing it bothered you somewhat. I only say that because you did make a thread about it?
:rollsafe

I guess the only downside is you won't have your guitar for a few weeks.
Also, taking apart a strat and putting it back together is a fairly simple and straightforward process. There is no wear and tear there if you take some care.

One more round of screw removal/reinsertion isn't gonna hurt anything.

If I did get it refinished, it means things like trem screws and neck screws would be taken out again and put back in again, and I'm wondering if it's worth the overall wear and tear on the guitar. I don't do much maintenance myself, so it's hard for me to say what kind of wear is involved in this.
Neck screws just go straight through the body so it wouldn't matter and is normal wear on the neck, it's not like it gets taken apart regularly. Similarly no problem for trem screws.

I'd have it done as it's clearly a fault which might bug you over time. "Man I wish I had just taken up on the offer."

He is actually only offering to put on another coat and clear over. Is that what the refinish was in the first place or was it a compleat strip to the wood first? don't worry at all about the wear on screw holes it is incredibly easy to fix strip out and any decent tech will not over tighten screws in the first place.

He is actually only offering to put on another coat and clear over. Is that what the refinish was in the first place or was it a compleat strip to the wood first? don't worry at all about the wear on screw holes it is incredibly easy to fix strip out and any decent tech will not over tighten screws in the first place.
It was a complete strip and refinish. He said the gold sparkle is in the paint, so he'll do it from scratch again.

Just reread and bolded the part that is concerning. Few days? Does that mean prep work, respraying, cure time, wet sanding, buffing and then assembly?

Just reread and bolded the part that is concerning. Few days? Does that mean prep work, respraying, cure time, wet sanding, buffing and then assembly?
Not sure tbh, he definitely mentioned needing time to cure. I think the point was that he'd prioritize it in his schedule.

Back