New Strat saddles make me happy

woody

Roadie
I just finished setting up my Strat with the HG contoured Vintage guitar saddles from Highwood.
They are folded in a way that allows for recessed screws.
20240314_222505.jpg
Here is a saddle that I replaced in comparison:
20240314_222446.jpg

The bridge feels just supper comfy and smooth now, that's 45 bucks well spent.
I like the guitar so much better, now.

(Some years ago I did some saddle testing with a luthier friend.
We put six different saddles on a Strat and strung it with six high e strings, so that we could compare the saddles side by side with the exact same string and pitch.
They sounded all absolutely the same to us, so I had no qualms changing cast for sheet metal.)

I've been curious about these. I have a Callaham trem on my Gilmour Strat and I've read of people swapping out the Callaham saddles for Highwood's to tame the top end. I love that Strat so I'm not changing anything, but I am interested in the recessed screws because I'm quite confident when I play any Strat live at this point, I'm going to cut the shit out of my hand.

I can't speak to the alleged tonal properties but I can confirm that these Highwood saddles are unquestionably more comfortable than the stock vintage saddles.

PXL_20240120_050417207_exported_1896_1705727183356~2.jpg

You could also get shorter saddle screws on eBay for like $4. I can’t stand sharp saddle screws poking my hand
True dat.
But somehow it seemed less daunting to measure the saddle width with calipers and just order an all inculsive saddle set accordingly than measuring the general thickness and the length needed for each saddle (because I definitely would have wanted individually staggered screws) and try to make sure I get the right thread for a 1996 MIC 40th anniversary Squire by Fender Strat...
I did not find any offers for a screw set that would just work, for sure.

I used to enjoy tinkering with guitars. These days i usually just buy if I already like the whole package.
Those Highwood saddles reduce resistance to play more guitar.
That's 45 bucks well spent, imo.

I used to love the vintage style saddles and they have a certain tone that is appealing, but over the years I've switched to raw brass.
Mainly for tonal reasons but they also look cool, age well, feel comfortable and intonate nicely.

I've bought multiple sets of these and love em:
amazon link

Back