Problem with strat pickups

vino_buono

Roadie
Hey all,

I have a mechanical problem with my strat am std pickguard, maybe someone can help... In short, one of the adjusting screws of the middle pickup has a tendency to "get out" of the pickguard together with the pickup itself. The screw is correctly inserted, i.e. it does change the pickup height. However, if I flip the guitar with the pickups down, the middle pickup will tend to get out of the pickguard on one side. Not sure what should keep the screw from coming out? If I tape the screw to the pickguard it's all good, except it looks ugly. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks!

Not sure that springs are used in Fender pickguards, rather rubber tubing... It's possible that the rubber has broken for one of the screws; the guitar is about 35 years old, that wouldn't be surprising.

Not sure that springs are used in Fender pickguards, rather rubber tubing... It's possible that the rubber has broken for one of the screws; the guitar is about 35 years old, that wouldn't be surprising.
I'm pretty sure they used both types over the years. But yeah, sounds like you need to replace them.

Because we are on a gear forum let me ask this: is there any difference in tone using rubber vs springs? @Eagle ?

Gosh, I am not even sure if I am asking this seriously or not…
I like the rubber tubing but only because it was on the original ones. It doesn’t really matter as long as it holds the pickup in position.

As a slight aside. One of the best things I ever did for myself was to grab a set of the alligator clips for working with those fuckin springs ;)

Attachments

• alligator clips.jpg
    alligator clips.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 8
As a slight aside. One of the best things I ever did for myself was to grab a set of the alligator clips for working with those fuckin springs ;)
Good idea. Whatever works! As many pickup changes as I've made I've mastered that crap with my finger tips. :grin No pain no gain.

Back