Seems like no more good Pots for amps.........

Do you feel GAS/FOMO for the 100? I have almost bought this amp more than a few times :bag
I thought I was going to, because I've played 50/100w amps all my life, but I don't. The 30 is more than loud enough and it it has plenty of punch and thump. It sounds more like a 50w amp to me. And I love the small size and ease to carry it around. I think they hit a good balance between size, volume and tone.

I thought I was going to, because I've played 50/100w amps all my life, but I don't. The 30 is more than loud enough and it it has plenty of punch and thump. It sounds more like a 50w amp to me. And I love the small size and ease to carry it around. I think they hit a good balance between size, volume and tone.
I have a JVM and MW Dual Recto on my "things I don't need but sure tf want" list. I am trying to keep the SLO30 off of it but this kind of thing isn't helping :nails:ROFLMAO: A 30 watter would be just fine for our gigs, too. Have you gigged it yet?

I have a JVM and MW Dual Recto on my "things I don't need but sure tf want" list. I am trying to keep the SLO30 off of it but this kind of thing isn't helping :nails:ROFLMAO: A 30 watter would be just fine for our gigs, too. Have you gigged it yet?
I haven't. First gig with it is next Saturday. But I've been practicing with it regularly and we practice at a pretty good volume. The amp doesn't even break a sweat to hang with the drummer. Volume on 3-4 is loud enough for practice/stage volume. Volume wise, I'd compare it to the EVH50w amps.

Those 1st gen DSL's had pretty severe arc-ing problems within the circuit. My amp tech told me he's said tons of them with scorch marks and burnt out chunks of PCB and all sorts! The newer ones aren't as bad I don't think.
Yeah they are terrible. They overheat and develop cold solder joints. No wonder they were discontinued.

The JCM2000 DSL heads also had issues with bias drift that resulted in Marshall having to replace their whole PCBs. I had a DSL50 like this, sold it before the issue was reported, but I always wondered why the bias seemed to have changed every time I measured it.

It's still bad design. Not the tubes mounted on the board, but the flexing. It can't be that expensive to add a few more screw holes and posts to properly support it so it doesn't budge when changing tubes. The Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 was also like a trampoline for the preamp tubes.

Tube amps seem to be fairly resistant to bad design though. Nobody can argue that e.g a Peavey Classic 30 with its tri-fold PCB held together by jumper wires is a good design, yet somehow it isn't known for failures in the same way as a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 or Fender HRD.

I had a Peavey Delta Blues Combo that was the same way. I ended up working
on it and was shocked when I saw what I saw. Holy hell! I fixed it and sold that nasty
slut as fast as I could. :LOL:

+1

I wouldn’t be terribly bothered about build quality with Friedman.

With the new Marshall prices here though…

How I Met Your Mother Foodgasm GIF

Dave talks about this around the 10:00 mark. Marc even mentions TGF. lol

Reactions: Elf
If we want to talk about amps being a ripoff
BTW dude, to follow up on this, I never said the Plex was a rip-off. I don't think that either.

I just said there was a lot of competition in that price range. Which is true. I think the amp market shows us that the majority of guitarists aren't too sniffy about construction techniques, pots, transformers, any of that stuff. It's all about the final sound - as long as it sounds good, then it is good.

Dave talks about this around the 10:00 mark. Marc even mentions TGF. lol

It is pretty funny to me that Dave referenced Fryette. I love the Sig:X amp I used to have, but it was far from plain sailing. I had quite a few issues:

- First one I bought turned up D.O.A
- Waited 2 or 3 days for a replacement to turn up.
- The replacement was fine, but at gigs would often change channels completely by itself lmao.
- I had a rectifier tube go on me, which introduced a shit ton of distortion into the amp. I didn't know this at the time though, and I fucked around for about 2minutes trying an AY7 tube in V1 of the preamp. Fryette revoked my warranty because of it. To this day I still don't really understand why they'd do that.

Not really relevant to the Plex. But I just had to giggle to myself a bit at the idea that Fryette amps are some paragon of quality.

BTW dude, to follow up on this, I never said the Plex was a rip-off. I don't think that either.

I just said there was a lot of competition in that price range. Which is true. I think the amp market shows us that the majority of guitarists aren't too sniffy about construction techniques, pots, transformers, any of that stuff. It's all about the final sound - as long as it sounds good, then it is good.
I totally agree with that. I think Friedman would too - they are trying to sell to the same sort of market that Marshall would, and certainly nowhere close to the same scale. They’re catering to a smaller niche on purpose.

There’s a lot of implication in the thread that Friedman are conning people and overcharging. It is competitive for Plexi’s but Friedman/Suhr/Germino/Metropolius etc aren’t going after the same market as Ceriatone/Marshall/Modulus/Mojotone etc. Friedman is bang in line for prices for the stuff they’re competing with, I wouldn’t even say it’s expensive when you compare to brands like Wizard or Two Rock or whatever.

I think the people who don’t care about the internals or circuit specifics generally just buy a Marshall 1987x (or 1959HW if they’re feeling particularly blues lawyer-y that day). The boutique stuff is always going after the people who want something a bit more specific. The pricing is pretty spot on for what they’re doing IMO.

If it was me, I would absolutely go for a 1959HW - comparatively they are WAY better value over here. It says more about Marshall’s pricing than it does Friedman though, which is the point I’m making.

I totally agree with that. I think Friedman would too - they are trying to sell to the same sort of market that Marshall would, and certainly nowhere close to the same scale. They’re catering to a smaller niche on purpose.

There’s a lot of implication in the thread that Friedman are conning people and overcharging. It is competitive for Plexi’s but Friedman/Suhr/Germino/Metropolius etc aren’t going after the same market as Ceriatone/Marshall/Modulus/Mojotone etc. Friedman is bang in line for prices for the stuff they’re competing with, I wouldn’t even say it’s expensive when you compare to brands like Wizard or Two Rock or whatever.

I think the people who don’t care about the internals or circuit specifics generally just buy a Marshall 1987x (or 1959HW if they’re feeling particularly blues lawyer-y that day). The boutique stuff is always going after the people who want something a bit more specific. The pricing is pretty spot on for what they’re doing IMO.

If it was me, I would absolutely go for a 1959HW - comparatively they are WAY better value over here. It says more about Marshall’s pricing than it does Friedman though, which is the point I’m making.
I have a 1987X and I love it so I agree that the Marshalls - especially with the new USA pricing- are great value.

But the Friedman does have a lot more flexibility with the built-in variac, PPIMV master volume, switchable bright caps on both channels etc. So I don't know if it's fair to compare the 1987x/1959HW to the Friedman. It would take quite a bit of modding to get the Marshalls to do everything the Friedman does, which add cost (and probably also devalue the amp), especially if you have to hire someone to do it.

I think a more accurate comparison would be the Suhr SL67, which has similar functionality. It's handwired and it costs about $150 more, which is actually accurate to what Friedman said the Plex would cost if he handwired it.

I'm not a Friedman fan boy (the only Friedman product I currently own is the IR-D, I recently had 2 Dirty Shirley's but sold them), but I tend to agree with his reasoning behind building the amp the way he did. PCB when build correctly is very consistent indeed.

Last edited:
I have a 1987X and I love it so I agree that the Marshalls - especially with the new USA pricing- are great value.

But the Friedman does have a lot more flexibility with the built-in variac, PPIMV master volume, switchable bright caps on both channels etc. So I don't know if it's fair to compare the 1987x/1959HW to the Friedman. It would take quite a bit of modding to get the Marshalls to do everything the Friedman does, which add cost (and probably also devalue the amp), especially if you have to hire someone to do it.

I think a more accurate comparison would be the Suhr SL67, which has similar functionality. It's handwired and it costs about $150 more, which is actually accurate to what Friedman said the Plex would cost if he handwired it.

I'm not a Friedman fan boy (the only Friedman product I currently own is the IR-D, I recently had 2 Dirty Shirley's but sold them), but I tend to agree with his reasoning behind building the amp the way he did. PCB when build correctly is very consistent indeed.
this is exactly my point, totally agree

I think a more accurate comparison would be the Suhr SL67, which has similar functionality.
My point is there are lots of amps for a similar price, that offer a shit ton more functionality. Not everyone is really that hung up on the spirit of the thing. Some people just want an amp that does a lot of stuff.

Back