Satchel's Rig Rundown, touring an AmpliFire 3

I saw Jerry Seinfeld at a local venue twice over the span of about four years. The second time, he literally repeated the exact material from the first performance. My wife and I left about 30 minutes in. What a disappointment.
7hoq71.jpg

I never thought of Slipknot as Nu Metal. Not one time.

I still don't. :LOL:
What genre would you classify them as though? I think some of it is GREAT, I think some of it is too close to Stone Sour. Ugh. I can't honestly point out where that defining line is?

One of the best modern takes on nu metal you will find. Absolute banger if you dig that sort of thing :bag

So nu metal is like... chugga chugga metal (not twiddly twiddly metal) with rapping, and a little messier/grungier sounding than Linkin Park?

I don't know.

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

:rofl

There are bands that emerged during the same period as the prime of Hair Metal
that I don't consider Hair Metal, even if they played guitars with Floyds into Marshall
style amps, and had long hair. :idk

Yeah, but what they did with the Floyds and Marshalls made them different……Slipknot played nu-metal with their instruments.:rofl

Try it this way-

What band am I talking about?

No solos
Downtuned guitars
rappy vocal sections
Turntables
Syncopated rhythmic riffs instead of melodic riffs
All snares sound like piccolo snares
Groove-focused rhythms

Is it- Korn, Deftones, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach or…..all of the above? :rofl

It’s ok to like a band within a genre you don’t dig, man. :ROFLMAO:

There’s also the PRS/Mesa combination that, at that time, pretty much screamed “WE’RE NU METAL LOOK AT MY RIG!” and I believe in those early days, Jim Root was all PRS and Mark IV’s or Dual Recs, I think Mick was using Dual Recs back then, too.

Last edited:
So nu metal is like... chugga chugga metal (not twiddly twiddly metal) with rapping, and a little messier/grungier sounding than Linkin Park?

Linkin Park is as nu-metal as it gets. They were just the slick/produced version of it.

I give those guys a lot of credit because they very much primed themselves to be exactly what they became. That Shinoda dude knew exactly how he wanted that band to sound before they even had Chester in the band. I remember thinking they were a label-creation because they literally played one or two showcases and got signed, I thought it was BS because back then because of my hatred of nu metal.

Then once I finally got over myself and said “Ya know what? I like catchy songs, IDGAF what genre it is or how cool it is or isn’t” I was able to gain a lot of respect for them. Doesn’t mean I dig all their songs, but I have a lot of respect for ‘em.

Tough crowd. I opened a show for Steel Panther a few years ago. Great musicians, super nice guys and yes funny. At least the people that sold out the HOB on that day seemed to think so.
And given that they're touring hard again this years, it seems like their fans are actually happy with the band humor and it's the armchair quarterbacks of the internet that have an issue with it. Which is your prerogative, but any successful artist know they have to play for their fans not for their haters. Same with Metallica and whoever else got trashed in this thread, I didn't really read all 7 pages of negativity...

This all gets a lot easier when you just call heavy music “heavy music” instead of trying to make everything fit into some genre where there’s a million overlaps with other genres. Personally, I think the genre sh*t, especially the sub-categories in metal, is f*cking stupid.

Tough crowd. I opened a show for Steel Panther a few years ago. Great musicians, super nice guys and yes funny. At least the people that sold out the HOB on that day seemed to think so.
And given that they're touring hard again this years, it seems like their fans are actually happy with the band humor and it's the armchair quarterbacks of the internet that have an issue with it. Which is your prerogative, but any successful artist know they have to play for their fans not for their haters. Same with Metallica and whoever else got trashed in this thread, I didn't really read all 7 pages of negativity...

Yeah, they sell out the venue down here regularly and the overwhelming majority of the audience is about 15 years younger than I am (in their 20’s) and the crowd response jumps between concert/comedian audience response. They won’t be going away any time soon and I’m happy for that.

If I got sick of dick and fart jokes, I’d have stopped entertaining myself about 35 years ago.

Jim Lill just joined up on 2nd guitar.

Oh.

:grin :rofl

I don't think you know what armchair quarterback means.

Back