Rock - Classic Rock Players ..... do you have Reverb Blocks in your Live Presets (?)

BenIfin

Roadie
Hey all !

This got me thinking ..... and it doesn't apply to "reverb-necessary-sounds" ..... but ..... when playing Live without IEM's ..... if you play straight forward rock / classic rock or thereabouts

=> do your Live Presets have any activated-reverb blocks in them at all (?) given that any room you are playing in will have its own "ambience" (?)

Ben

Generally yes, specially if I'm the only guitar player. It highly depends on the room. I used to play at a bar that was a warehouse, no "comfort reverb" needed there.

Hey all !

This got me thinking ..... and it doesn't apply to "reverb-necessary-sounds" ..... but ..... when playing Live without IEM's ..... if you play straight forward rock / classic rock or thereabouts

=> do your Live Presets have any activated-reverb blocks in them at all (?) given that any room you are playing in will have its own "ambience" (?)

Ben
Never on a live sound for me
On a lead I would use just a delay

As the only guitarist, I used to have just a touch of delay, low enough to the point where you don't really hear it; You just notice it when it's bypassed. That kind of mix.

Not just for rock, for any kind of music.

For live playing I only use reverb as a special effect: typically either big spring sounds for surfy type stuff or huge ambient reverbs for things like quiet single note lines on nylon string guitars.

I never use it as a basic part of my sound. It’s not needed and typically only muddies things and makes you not sit in the mix well.

Many thanks all !

Got a show coming up and whilst I only run a very minimal light reverb normally, its a big room with tiled and timber floors and high ceilings and big windows etc.... so am going to try with the reverb %100 off.

Ben

Many thanks all !

Got a show coming up and whilst I only run a very minimal light reverb normally, its a big room with tiled and timber floors and high ceilings and big windows etc.... so am going to try with the reverb %100 off.

Ben
I'll only go with a fixed plan if I'm already used to playing that venue, otherwise live bring the volume of the amp up and hit the strings while muting. Just a big "chug" to try to sort of read the room and get how much reverb I'm getting from it. If I feel comfortable playing with no extra reverb, that's fine, if not I'll bring the reverb up until it's comfortable for me and that's it. First couple of songs I'll pay attention to how it's blending with the band and adjust if needed.

This is the room I mentioned. No reverb at all needed there. I'm not even sure I had the usual light delay I have for solos. First time playing there I thought it was going to be a mess, but sounded pretty cool on stage actually.

All my standard rhythm sounds (regardless whether they're clean or dirty) are bone dry, even when playing IEM gigs.
All that "a smidgen of room" blurb doesn't do it for me. In a busy live context, you either don't notice it anway (and hence can leave it off) or need to turn it way up so rhythm sounds get mushy (the last thing I ever wanted).
Also makes sound organisation a lot easier for me. I'm using an HX Stomp for all my spatial FX duties, and as they're basically only switched on for either lead sounds or something "space-ish", I can as well let the Stomp do my final lead sound leveling, which is great. And it even works quite well for all the space-ish stuff I may need for comping (regardless whether it's swells, arpeggiated chords, whammy bar pseudo-steel licks and what not), because all those techniques can use a little additional volume anyway.

Doing it like that (or similar) since decades already, always worked fine. You gotta get used to playing with dry sounds of course. But that's a good thing anyway. When practising, all delays/verbs usually are off, too. Your fingers need to be able to fill the entire space.

Last edited:
I always kept the reverb to where I can hear it during the soft passages but not really during the loud bits (which is most of the time for rock shows).

I’m intrigued about putting reverb and delay on an expression pedal.

These:

Not just for rock, for any kind of music.

For live playing I only use reverb as a special effect: typically either big spring sounds for surfy type stuff or huge ambient reverbs for things like quiet single note lines on nylon string guitars.

I never use it as a basic part of my sound. It’s not needed and typically only muddies things and makes you not sit in the mix well.

All my standard rhythm sounds (regardless whether they're clean or dirty) are bone dry, even when playing IEM gigs.
All that "a smidgen of room" blurb doesn't do it for me. In a busy live context, you either don't notice it anway (and hence can leave it off) or need to turn it way up so rhythm sounds get mushy (the last thing I ever wanted).
Also makes sound organisation a lot easier for me. I'm using an HX Stomp for all my spatial FX duties, and as they're basically only switched on for either lead sounds or something "space-ish", I can as well let the Stomp do my final lead sound leveling, which is great. And it even works quite well for all the space-ish stuff I may need for comping (regardless whether it's swells, arpeggiated chords, whammy bar pseudo-steel licks and what not), because all those techniques can use a little additional volume anyway.

Doing it like that (or similar) since decades already, always worked fine. You gotta get used to playing with dry sounds of course. But that's a good thing anyway. When practising, all delays/verbs usually are off, too. Your fingers need to be able to fill the entire space.

Back